Thread: Graffiti @ Mitre

Default Graffiti @ Mitre

This is my first picture post in CS and in Critique Corner.

1. I would like to seek feedback on the composition. I pumped up the saturation and vibrance of the graffiti during PP. No other PP done because i have no idea how to.

2. I thought the graffiti made a good contrast against the old green rails. old vs new, original vs added on, mainstream vs alternative.

3. I took this shot as a remembrance of mitre since it will probably not be around soon.

4. I like this picture because i had to make the best of my situation at that moment. I was trapped at the drop off point because of the rain and the lobby was way too dark for me to take without IS or tripod and i am not accustomed to using high iso for pictures.

Pls give me pointers on how i can improve my picture if i were to do it again.

Default Re: Graffiti @ Mitre

i cannot find a focus in this picture, maybe u shouldve backed up and take a wider area

Composition-wise, your half split pic does not work for me. Since your title is graffiti, you should have included more of the graffiti in your shot. Perhaps you can try landscape shot. I also dont see a relation between graffiti and railings
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    i cannot find a focus in this picture, maybe u shouldve backed up and take a wider area
    I couldn't backed up any further because i was almost right against a wall already and i was using a 85mm lens.

Where should i have focused on? I usually leave it to the camera to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Composition-wise, your half split pic does not work for me. Since your title is graffiti, you should have included more of the graffiti in your shot. Perhaps you can try landscape shot. I also dont see a relation between graffiti and railings
    Oh i see. The graffiti is what u see. Nothing was cropped away. So even if i shoot landscape, there's nothing else.

I need to improve on composition.

Yeah i too agree, the 50/50 split doesn't do it for me. The graffiti should've had more space.

One thing that i want to comment. Though it's interesting to see brightly coloured incongruous juxtaposition of grafs with crumbling decrepit buildings, i don't approve of them being done on old buildings that have architectural character like the mitre hotel. The lack of time and vision of graffiti artists here in singapore also means that they're usually done in a haphazard sloppy manner (monotone, duotone ) that doesn't do justice to anything.

If you are really going back again, try stand lower a little. Let the top of the rail flush with the top of the head in the graffiti. Wondered how it will look.

1/2 crop is also making me irk. But I guessed if that is being aligned properly, perhaps the background can fuse and perhaps creating a 'void'
    Like the face is having a 'void' brain or something like that.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake View Post
    Yeah i too agree, the 50/50 split doesn't do it for me. The graffiti should've had more space.

One thing that i want to comment. Though it's interesting to see brightly coloured incongruous juxtaposition of grafs with crumbling decrepit buildings, i don't approve of them being done on old buildings that have architectural character like the mitre hotel. The lack of time and vision of graffiti artists here in singapore also means that they're usually done in a haphazard sloppy manner (monotone, duotone ) that doesn't do justice to anything.
    Should i have just do a shot of the graffiti alone then? Cos the graffiti is only that size.

Graffiti in sgp seems like a hit and run thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    If you are really going back again, try stand lower a little. Let the top of the rail flush with the top of the head in the graffiti. Wondered how it will look.

1/2 crop is also making me irk. But I guessed if that is being aligned properly, perhaps the background can fuse and perhaps creating a 'void'
    Like the face is having a 'void' brain or something like that.
    I get what u mean. I will try doing it at a lower height the next time round without a 1/2 crop. Maybe i will shoot from the other side to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    Should i have just do a shot of the graffiti alone then? Cos the graffiti is only that size.

Graffiti in sgp seems like a hit and run thing.
    Given a choice, i'd prob not try to take the photo at all, if the emphasis is on the graffiti. I'd rather take a wider landscape shot.

yeah it's a hit and run thing. i just can't stand it that taggers come out, deface property, and it's not even close to being aesthetically interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake View Post
    Given a choice, i'd prob not try to take the photo at all, if the emphasis is on the graffiti. I'd rather take a wider landscape shot.

yeah it's a hit and run thing. i just can't stand it that taggers come out, deface property, and it's not even close to being aesthetically interesting.
    I will keep that in mind.