Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Bro zhangyb, I would somewhat agree with your opinion. One needs to test the IEMs and, at the end of the day, decide for himself which IEM to get. But as I was totally un-initiated with IEMs, I decided to consult the resident gurus here for advice, hence this thread. As you can read, I eventually bought an IEM that was not recommended here in this thread prior to my eventual purchase.

The aim is to share one's thoughts/opinions based on one's experience. As also be read, there are a lot of members here that have had experience with multiple brands and models of IEMs. That what I wanted - thoughts/opinions. This served as merely a guide for me.

p/s: I would like to take this opportunity to thanks those Bros who have graciously replied to this thread.
    cool, which one u got in the end??

enjoyy your new IEMs, the super.fi basses are all not bad one.

Thanks, zhangyb.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    4B? But why 4B? I don't think its for portable applications? 4S will be suitable with an amp and 4P is the most versatile of the lot. Can convert to 4S with a P-S cable. But that cable is expensive!

Ahhh yes imaging!
    been out of the headfi world for quite a while already. if i m not wrong that cable just increases the impedance of the earphone about three to four times to induce a different sonic characteristic? lowers the efficiency too.

its kinda wierd but i suppose the shure attenuator has that ability too :P
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    been out of the headfi world for quite a while already. if i m not wrong that cable just increases the impedance of the earphone about three to four times to induce a different sonic characteristic? lowers the efficiency too.

its kinda wierd but i suppose the shure attenuator has that ability too :P
    Yeah is kinda weird but it works. Just by increasing impedance and reducing efficiency, it will convert to a better earphone. Sonic characteristic generally remains the same. Both 4P and 4S will sound similar. The added impedence will reduce a little bass and add more treble sparkle. Magically, is also clearer and can pick out details better. 4S's detail retrieval is phenomenal. But for 4S to work, you need an amp lah.

The Shure attenuator will not work because you dunno how much resistance you are adding. The 4S is rated at 100ohms while the 4P is at 27ohms. The P-S cable is rated at 75ohms. So 75+27=102, almost the same as a 4S. And Etymotic claims that it is the same. Makes no difference.

I did not do any test on 4P with different resistance and many people at headfi accept that 75ohms+27ohms sounds best.

Yeah is kinda weird but it works. Just by increasing impedance and reducing efficiency, it will convert to a better earphone. Sonic characteristic generally remains the same. Both 4P and 4S will sound similar. The added impedence will reduce a little bass and add more treble sparkle. Magically, is also clearer and can pick out details better. 4S's detail retrieval is phenomenal. But for 4S to work, you need an amp lah.

The Shure attenuator will not work because you dunno how much resistance you are adding. The 4S is rated at 100ohms while the 4P is at 27ohms. The P-S cable is rated at 75ohms. So 75+27=102, almost the same as a 4S. And Etymotic claims that it is the same. Makes no difference.

I did not do any test on 4P with different resistance and many people at headfi accept that 75ohms+27ohms sounds best.
    It does not become better by adding attenuator. If you plot the impedance across the entire frequency spectrum, you will find that at each frequency, the impedance is different, so when you put an attenuator, it's just that different frequencies gets attenuated by different amount because the impedance is different. It may be good, it may be bad, it becomes unpredictable unless you have the impedance vs frequency information.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 29th October 2007 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It does not become better by adding attenuator. If you plot the impedance across the entire frequency spectrum, you will find that at each frequency, the impedance is different, so when you put an attenuator, it's just that different frequencies gets attenuated by different amount because the impedance is different. It may be good, it may be bad, it becomes unpredictable unless you have the impedance vs frequency information.
    Thats why the attenuator will not work.

I dun plot the impedance across the entire frequenct spectrum. But my ears tell me that an addition on a 75ohm cable improve the performance of the 4P.

I dun plot the impedance across the entire frequenct spectrum. But my ears tell me that an addition on a 75ohm cable improve the performance of the 4P.
    Hahaha.. okie.. it's just equalization then. Run it through a 31-band GEQ.

I felt that my pair of the UE SF.3 Studio is sounding better now. The treble is sounding clearer. Think it is because it has 'run in'?

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I felt that my pair of the UE SF.3 Studio is sounding better now. The treble is sounding clearer. Think it is because it has 'run in'?
    Most earphones will sound better after some time.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Most earphones will sound better after some time.

and because ur ears are getting more used to them

hmm.. isnt it the same as adding a parallel impedance across each channel using an attenuator or a cable, considering that if the resistance of the attenuator is known?

i believe this impedance will load the amp differently, or the amplification circuitry differently, and thus changing the sonics.

its the same in speaker audio, whether to plug an 8ohm speaker into the 4 ohm out etc, or the 8 ohm output.. there's a diff to the sound, perhaps as to how the amp sees it being loaded.

the lower the impedance, the higher the current drawn?

ok where is hacknet when we need him to explain this
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyb View Post
    and because ur ears are getting more used to them

Wah! Found out from HWZ that there is a lobang for the UE S.F 3.

Link to thread: http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1786285
    Link to offer page: http://www.buy.com/prod/Ultimate-Ear...206233143.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234