Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76

Thread: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

  1. #21
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    OK. Here is my update. Went to Stereo Electronics and talked to Aron.

    Tried 3 pairs. (in order):
    1. Etymotic Research ER6i - Bro afbug was right! (of course he is right la!) The bass was weak. Can say that as weak as my MX 550 or even weaker than that. (Price: $200+)
    2. Westone UM1 - the sound I liked. It has got everything that I wanted. And I like the design. Very flushed and compact. I was planning to get it, but I asked Aron for another set of IEMs for further comparison. (Price: $159)
    3. Aron suggested that I try Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio. Bass was slightly better than UM1. But I think that the higher pitched sounds were not as good as UM1. (Price: $159)

    It was a difficult decision, choosing between Westone and UE. Tried the 2 IEMs many times. Changing between them. Till I am finding it difficult to remember the sound characteristics of each IEM during the swap. In the end, I decided on the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio.

  2. #22
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    OK. Here is my update. Went to Stereo Electronics and talked to Aron.

    Tried 3 pairs. (in order):
    1. Etymotic Research ER6i - Bro afbug was right! (of course he is right la!) The bass was weak. Can say that as weak as my MX 550 or even weaker than that. (Price: $200+)
    2. Westone UM1 - the sound I liked. It has got everything that I wanted. And I like the design. Very flushed and compact. I was planning to get it, but I asked Aron for another set of IEMs for further comparison. (Price: $159)
    3. Aron suggested that I try Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio. Bass was slightly better than UM1. But I think that the higher pitched sounds were not as good as UM1. (Price: $159)

    It was a difficult decision, choosing between Westone and UE. Tried the 2 IEMs many times. Changing between them. Till I am finding it difficult to remember the sound characteristics of each IEM during the swap. In the end, I decided on the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio.
    Thats a good choice! Din recommend SF3 Studio as I think the UM1 is better.

    I forgot to tell you how to get more bass out of ER6i. Can get quite a decent amount out of it. It is all about fit and ear tips. But anyway, since you got the SF3 already, I will save the trouble.

    Enjoy your new sound. Much better than MX550 rite? Now, your discman will sound like it have 'cotton buds' removed from your ears, the veil is lifted.

    I hope its isolation is as good as the UM1.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Wah! My IEMs now sounded so much much better than MX 550 le. Now, the MX 550 seems like a toy leh. In fact, my music volume level is lower as compared when I am using the MX 550. Probably due to the seal, I think. This morning during my commute, I switched off my CD player and left the IEMs in my ears. Used it as a ear plug.

  4. #24
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Wah! My IEMs now sounded so much much better than MX 550 le. Now, the MX 550 seems like a toy leh. In fact, my music volume level is lower as compared when I am using the MX 550. Probably due to the seal, I think. This morning during my commute, I switched off my CD player and left the IEMs in my ears. Used it as a ear plug.
    Why use it as a earplug? BTW, what made you choose the SF3 over UM1? You like more bass? Do you think that when wearing them, they make you look at bit like Frankinstien?

    The foam tips should provide the best isolation but however, they dun last forever.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    I use it as ear plug when I want to snooze in the bus. It shuts out the noise. Can't even hear the engine noise. But can still hear other people speaking, but it is not loud. - all this while the CD player is OFF.

    What actually won me over to the SF.3 was the bass. Yeah. The bass was better than UM1, IMO.

    I do agree that the ergonomics of the UM1 is better than SF.3. But I am willing to 'forgive' UE for that.

    Have not tried out the foamies. Will give it a try. Many thanks again, Bro.

  6. #26
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I use it as ear plug when I want to snooze in the bus. It shuts out the noise. Can't even hear the engine noise. But can still hear other people speaking, but it is not loud. - all this while the CD player is OFF.

    What actually won me over to the SF.3 was the bass. Yeah. The bass was better than UM1, IMO.

    I do agree that the ergonomics of the UM1 is better than SF.3. But I am willing to 'forgive' UE for that.

    Have not tried out the foamies. Will give it a try. Many thanks again, Bro.
    Sure can hear some noise la. Even real foam earplugs will not completely cut you off. BTW, what colour is your set?

    Maybe you might start thinking about the delicious bass that the SF5 Pro and TF10 Pro can serve up.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    My UE S.F 3 is black in colour. The way I want it!

    Eh! Bro, so soon the BBB virus infection commences ah! I have not even broken into my S.F 3, you are already suggesting the S.F 5 (which is more than double the price, right?).

    BTW, what's TF10 Pro?
    Last edited by Canew; 10th October 2007 at 11:40 PM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    I just recently got mine too

    Just for kpo and poison sake - i did try the SF 5.

    Not sure is it me or the sealing wasn't too good, found both the SF 3 & 5 quite the same bass wise... both the same, imaging/soundstage wise - the SF 5 wins definitely. Can hear the difference.

  9. #29
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    My UE S.F 3 is black in colour. The way I want it!

    Eh! Bro, so soon the BBB virus infection commences ah! I have not even broken into my S.F 3, you are already suggesting the S.F 5 (which is more than double the price, right?).

    BTW, what's TF10 Pro?
    TF 10 Pro is Triple.Fi 10 Pro. Triple driver! SF5 Pro has 2 drivers. Black is nice! BTW, do they have the clear version?

    Haha enjoy your SF3 and 'forget' about the 5 and 10 Pro then.

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    I just recently got mine too

    Just for kpo and poison sake - i did try the SF 5.

    Not sure is it me or the sealing wasn't too good, found both the SF 3 & 5 quite the same bass wise... both the same, imaging/soundstage wise - the SF 5 wins definitely. Can hear the difference.
    U got SF3 Studio as well? Oooo suddently have 2 SF3 owners here.

    Maybe it is the seal. SF5 Pro have deeper and more bass.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    TF 10 Pro is Triple.Fi 10 Pro. Triple driver! SF5 Pro has 2 drivers. Black is nice! BTW, do they have the clear version?

    Haha enjoy your SF3 and 'forget' about the 5 and 10 Pro then.



    U got SF3 Studio as well? Oooo suddently have 2 SF3 owners here.

    Maybe it is the seal. SF5 Pro have deeper and more bass.
    the triple fi costs a bomb... daren't even touch or try it

    Don't think they have the clear version. Don't really like clear stuff cos they turn yellow / discolour after some time.

    SF5 Pro's bass i'm not too sure, maybe cos of seal like you mentioned. I tried a few bass heavy tracks, it feels the same - psst... maybe need headphone amp

  11. #31
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    I just recently got mine too
    Ah! Got kaki already.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    TF 10 Pro is Triple.Fi 10 Pro. Triple driver! SF5 Pro has 2 drivers. Black is nice! BTW, do they have the clear version?

    Haha enjoy your SF3 and 'forget' about the 5 and 10 Pro then.
    Wah! Bro, you put in triple driver into the equation ah! Wah! Tok ah, your BBB virus.
    BTW, how much is the T.F 10 Pro?

  13. #33
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    the triple fi costs a bomb... daren't even touch or try it

    Don't think they have the clear version. Don't really like clear stuff cos they turn yellow / discolour after some time.

    SF5 Pro's bass i'm not too sure, maybe cos of seal like you mentioned. I tried a few bass heavy tracks, it feels the same - psst... maybe need headphone amp
    I think the clear version will not turn yellow. I've Westone's UM2 for sometime already and it is still clear.

    SF series can be driven quite easily. I dun think need an amp to bring out its bass. But of cause, an amp will help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Wah! Bro, you put in triple driver into the equation ah! Wah! Tok ah, your BBB virus.
    BTW, how much is the T.F 10 Pro?
    Its not BBB virus. Once shake hands with the Devil -----> there is no turning back!

    If you wanna know how much is TF10 Pro, just head down to SE again and ask Aron to let you try and ask for the price lor.

    Natural upgrade path mah! Somemore your source is a CD player....slurrpp!

    Ulitimate Ears: SF3--->SF5 EB/SF5 Pro--->TF10 Pro--->UE Customs!

    Westone: UM1--->UM2--->Westone 3--->Westone Customs!

    Shure: SE110--->SE210--->SE310--->SE420--->SE530

    Etymotic Research: ER6i--->ER6--->ER4 series

  14. #34
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    If you wanna know how much is TF10 Pro, just head down to SE again and ask Aron to let you try and ask for the price lor.
    Bro, you really know how to bait people leh.


    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Natural upgrade path mah! Somemore your source is a CD player....slurrpp!

    Ulitimate Ears: SF3--->SF5 EB/SF5 Pro--->TF10 Pro--->UE Customs!

    Westone: UM1--->UM2--->Westone 3--->Westone Customs!

    Shure: SE110--->SE210--->SE310--->SE420--->SE530

    Etymotic Research: ER6i--->ER6--->ER4 series
    Wah! So fast the progression chart come out already ah!

  15. #35
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Bro, you really know how to bait people leh.




    Wah! So fast the progression chart come out already ah!
    I'm only trying to help. Who knows, maybe a few months down the road, SF3 might not do it for you anymore.

    Haha ok, I'll leave you to enjoy your new earphones. BTW, you thought of headphones?

  16. #36
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    If you wanna know how much is TF10 Pro, just head down to SE again and ask Aron to let you try and ask for the price lor.
    I've looked up in the Internet, the T.F 10 Pro is about 4 times the price of the S.F 3 Studio. That means it is about $600!

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    My thoughts in the S.F 3? The answer >> (to be updated in a weeks time, give or take)
    ... still got some "unhappiness" i see

    I wonder how much the headphone amp will bring out the details or help in some way

  18. #38
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    No la. Not unhappiness la. Just that I needed more time to give comments on the UE mah. These 2 days have not touched them. Too busy.

  19. #39
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I've looked up in the Internet, the T.F 10 Pro is about 4 times the price of the S.F 3 Studio. That means it is about $600!
    Yeah its about there. SE530 is about $700 I think? Forgot liao. UM2 is about $450. Ety earphones cost more in SG. Buy online is cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    My thoughts in the S.F 3? The answer >> (to be updated in a weeks time, give or take)
    That will be nice but.....hiaz...thats why Ferrari fans must use bold red and size 7. I asked if you thought of HEADPHONES? haha

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    ... still got some "unhappiness" i see

    I wonder how much the headphone amp will bring out the details or help in some way
    No doubt that it will help in improving the sound. You can expect better controlled bass, maybe better bass extension, details improvment, better treble etc but...

    Do you think it is worth spending the extra to get an amp? Why not save more and upgrade the earphones 1st? It will be a bigger improvement. My advise is to get an amp when your earphones are hard to drive or your earphones' cost is the limit that you're willing to spend on a pair.

    Most headphones will require an amp to sound its best.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    That will be nice but.....hiaz...thats why Ferrari fans must use bold red and size 7. I asked if you thought of HEADPHONES? haha
    Oh my bad. Did not notice the word: headphones. Aiya, you all the Ferrari fans use big 7 point fonts and bold red, so get used to it already lor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •