Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failure attempt at Cityscape

Phil > At least yours looks better than mine.

Zerstorer> What's a spot meter?

Here is an unedited image out of my G3 placed on the railing last night of the same angle at about 11pm......

Settings were 7.19mm (28mm equiv. at 35mm), 15 second exposure and aperture at 6.7. ISO was 50.

hi Gr|ever,

I tried to use photoshop to save your overexposed shot. This is what I got. I guess it's easier to save an underexposed shot than an overexposed shot.

Griever,

The 602 has 3 metering modes, multipattern, center-weighted or spot. Spot metering uses only a small area at the center for metering measurement. This is useful for scenes with a very large difference in lighting/contrast when multipattern(heuristic guesing) will tend to fail. Spot meter the area you want correctly exposed and it will be so.

Check your manual for specifics.

It takes lots of practice to get a good shot. I got mine after countless failures too.. keep trying. I'm still learning..

Phil

My 2 cents worth of correction. I done the fixing from your unchanged image. In order to minimize JPG recompression and artifacts, I've saved the result in PNG format. I've done the fixing in PS7.

I've always believed in subtlety in image enhancements. This version is also more printable with a minor amendment on the blackpoint. Note that there are still parts that when printed, may not look good, even though I had already reduced the out of gamut parts after retouching.

If you like my version, PM me for the actions that I took.

Last edited by Watcher; 1st May 2003 at 11:41 AM.

Watcher: You edited R32's shot and not Griever's.

I just tried some adjustments myself and I found that although the exposure was a bit off, the main reason why the shot looked blur was that you did not apply USM sharpening at all. I suppose you took this in 6MP/fine/soft mode?

The dark areas can be restored by using the levels controls and raising the black point.

Last edited by Zerstorer; 1st May 2003 at 11:50 AM.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Watcher: You edited R32's shot and not Griever's.
    ooops! R32, sorry about that . In any case, be careful when you print, the original has significant out of (print) gamut areas in it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12