Thread: entry level dslr

Default entry level dslr

hi all, i'm torn between getting D50/D40/350D.
    can any of the users of the a/m 3 cams provide some comments ?

is there any real difference between canon and nikon photos produced by these 3 various cams ?

there are some users of 350D mentioning that the pics are rather blant.
    could it be due to the lens kit ?

i need some enlightment, please.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 6th October 2007 at 04:07 PM.

Default Re: entry level dslr

i have owned D50 for a short time, and found that it is very similar to D70s and to D40. for 350D it is slightly darker abit.

What you mean by bland? Yea maybe the default image parametrers do need some help in bumping out the saturation/contrast but shoot RAW and all your problems are solved (well most related to contrast/punch colours)

Been using a 350D for more than a year now and it has been serving me well. But yes i must say the canon kit lens is quite bad unless stopped down 1 stop or so.

some kit examples

Sharpness is not an issue and colours can be bumped back

That said if you can just get a 17-50 or 16-50 2.8 from the third party manufacturers . I use a 17-40 cause I want full and 1.3 crop compatibility in all my lenses.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    What you mean by bland? Yea maybe the default image parametrers do need some help in bumping out the saturation/contrast but shoot RAW and all your problems are solved (well most related to contrast/punch colours)

Been using a 350D for more than a year now and it has been serving me well. But yes i must say the canon kit lens is quite bad unless stopped down 1 stop or so.

Sharpness is not an issue and colours can be bumped back

That said if you can just get a 17-50 or 16-50 2.8 from the third party manufacturers . I use a 17-40 cause I want full and 1.3 crop compatibility in all my lenses.
    you mean by adjusting the default image parameters to +1 in the camera itself or in photoshop colour setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    you mean by adjusting the default image parameters to +1 in the camera itself or in photoshop colour setting?
    I think both will work, but of cos photoshop give you more choices and much more powerful in controlling

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    If i dont want to post process much i normally have +2 +1 +2 +0 and shoot in jpg. Disadvantage is that you haev a much higher chance of blowing highlight details or losing shadows.. If not its raw and I can adjust it to whatever I want later. Photoshop does offer MUCH more control though and unless its an event I normally use photoshop for the finishing touches.
    Last edited by raptor84; 7th October 2007 at 10:19 AM.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

oh yah, between the flash raised assist AF of the 350D and just the AF assist of D40.
    since 350D flash is electronically activated, could this be a slower AF procedure as compared to the D40 AF only ?