Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Mac so dumb on certain functions?

Default Re: Why is Mac so dumb on certain functions?

Quote Originally Posted by faithsilence View Post
    Macs are not dumb, people who bitch abt Macs are dumb are the ones who are cos they do not know what is call google and expect people to spoonfeed them.
    Just in case u did not read my words carefully, "Been using Mac for few weeks. Found certain things very dumb or it could be due to my insufficient knowledge."

Google is good but advice from application users are different. Imagine u learn Photoshop from a person who is a non user and a person who is a user. The POV would be quite different. It is just like looking thru Scott Kelby's book and a book which spells from A-Z on Photoshop. Come on, Not everybody learns things the same way. If pp learns thing the same way, what is the pt of having teachers. Might as well let computers take over the role of teachers.

In addition, the idea of forum is to build each other's knowledge. Or else might as well close down the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    This is what i do usually;

For the issues you have raised:

i. Use "CMD+A". This selects all the photos.

ii. Hold down CMD and use the mouse to click on those you do not want to view (i.e. removing them from the selection in step i.)

iii. Use "CMD+O" This will open the photos in "Preview" and you can use your directional keys to scroll through your photos.

iv. Similarly, if you wish to delete certain photos, hold down "CMD" and click on the photos you wish to delete. Thereafter, use "CMD+Del". This will move the selected photos to the dustbin. This prevents accidental deletes.

Notes:
    a) you are able to scale the preview pane using your mouse so remember to adjust the preview window accordingly.

b) You can also go suss out other photo viewing softwares that might have interfaces that you are more comfortable with.

c) You can also increase of decrease the size of the thumbnails in your folders. Go to the folder you wish to scale the thumbnails, make sure nothing is selected (i.e. click on empty space within folder), use "CMD+i" and a window will pop up which allows you to dictate the size of the thumbnails. Remember to specify if you want the change to be applied across the entire systemor only for this particular folder.

d) The "CMD" key is your friend. Lean to experiment maybe check out FAQs thata re available or even better, join others for a Mac/Photography gathering to learn more.

Cheers mate.

PS: Mac isn't really all that hard to use. Its like buying a different make of mobile phones. Same principal applies since you will have to go through getting used to the interface etc. I got my mac at the start of this year and it's barely been a year but I can say it feel very comfortable to use. My mother is looking to pick up learning abt computers and I am contemplating getting her a mac. So if a 50++ lady can learn, I am sure most of us can too.
    Thanks for your tips and to all those that contributed again.

Hi Creaxion,

You may want to checkout Quicksilver app. Definitely one of the most recommended free app to install for the Mac. You can check out the reviews of it online. Much more powerful than Spotlight, which is already quite phenomenal.

Never used Spotlight after using this.

For the Mac only.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbun View Post
    Hi Creaxion,

You may want to checkout Quicksilver app. Definitely one of the most recommended free app to install for the Mac. You can check out the reviews of it online. Much more powerful than Spotlight, which is already quite phenomenal.

Never used Spotlight after using this.

For the Mac only.
    Tx for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Tx for the tip.
    Don't mention it.

By the way, do rem to set your exposť active screen corners for ultimate convenience when doing multiple tasks.

The drawback is after using it for a long time, you may instinctively try to do the same thing (i.e. moving ur mouse cursor to the corner) even when you are on a Windows machine.

Macs are machines that give the users the room to explore and find small little treasures. The link given by Parka is very useful for you to familiarise with the shortcuts. Just continue to use it and you will know why there are so many switchers from PC to Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbun View Post
    Don't mention it.

By the way, do rem to set your exposť active screen corners for ultimate convenience when doing multiple tasks.

The drawback is after using it for a long time, you may instinctively try to do the same thing (i.e. moving ur mouse cursor to the corner) even when you are on a Windows machine.

Macs are machines that give the users the room to explore and find small little treasures. The link given by Parka is very useful for you to familiarise with the shortcuts. Just continue to use it and you will know why there are so many switchers from PC to Mac.
    One of the best parts I discovered so far is the EXPOSE. It speeds up things when multiple tasking.

Been using Mac for few weeks. Found certain things very dumb or it could be due to my insufficient knowledge.

It's the 2nd I'm sure.

1. When we view pics from folder, i can't scroll forward or backward like Windows unless I select everything and drag into the preview application. is there any easier way.

You do not need to drag. Just select all then double click. Simple!

2. In windows, u can select a range of files using the shift key but in Mac, there is no such function.

How about trying command key (by holding it) and select the range you want?

3. During the preview of photos, i dun seem to be able to delete the file directly unless i drag it from drawer to the dustbin. The delete key does not work.

You like dragging don't you? ctrl key + click then choose move to trash.

Dear forumers, any tips?
    don't be righteous and try to learn it before you blast on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by tato View Post
    don't be righteous and try to learn it before you blast on to something.
    Isn't your statement an even more judgemental statement?

Just in case u missed it. I said, "Been using Mac for few weeks. Found certain things very dumb or it could be due to my insufficient knowledge. It's the 2nd I'm sure."

Same for photography, most blame their equipment than the users.

Just in case u did not read my words carefully, "Been using Mac for few weeks. Found certain things very dumb or it could be due to my insufficient knowledge."

Google is good but advice from application users are different. Imagine u learn Photoshop from a person who is a non user and a person who is a user. The POV would be quite different. It is just like looking thru Scott Kelby's book and a book which spells from A-Z on Photoshop. Come on, Not everybody learns things the same way. If pp learns thing the same way, what is the pt of having teachers. Might as well let computers take over the role of teachers.

In addition, the idea of forum is to build each other's knowledge. Or else might as well close down the forum.
    probably would have been less abrasive if you had just said "due to my insufficient knowledge". it sounds offensive when you blame the os and label it as "dumb" even though you are very new to it. anyway....let's move on.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    probably would have been less abrasive if you had just said "due to my insufficient knowledge". it sounds offensive when you blame the os and label it as "dumb" even though you are very new to it. anyway....let's move on.
    Tx for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I'm not talking about predefined shortcut keys.

For example, in IE, there is a predefined shortcut key for save - Ctrl S. However, there is no predefined shortcut key for save as. hence, in Windows, we can press Alt, F, A, to access the save as. Can the Mac do that? If it can, it must have changed since I last used it.
    yes vince, as you can see in my prev reply. not only can we define a keyboard shortcut for a undefined menu item, we can also navigate through the menu bar.

vince123123
    Guests

Your reply seems to give me the impression that you use the arrow keys to navigate the menu bar. So if my File >Save As is right at the middle, I have to press a lot of arrow keys to get to it, whereas in Windows, I just pres Alt, F, A.

As for defining new shortcuts, that is a feature that Windows does not have - does this apply to every application/program and every menu item? Is it set inside each program on its own or in a MAC-wide Control Panel or something?

I'm not very familiar with the MAC interface - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffliang View Post
    yes vince, as you can see in my prev reply. not only can we define a keyboard shortcut for a undefined menu item, we can also navigate through the menu bar.

As for defining new shortcuts, that is a feature that Windows does not have - does this apply to every application/program and every menu item? Is it set inside each program on its own or in a MAC-wide Control Panel or something?
    Hi, go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. You may change any predefined shortcuts, and you may also set shortcut for any menu function of any program.

You can enter the Application name, then the function name, then set a control that you want. That's why I love the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    Hi, go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. You may change any predefined shortcuts, and you may also set shortcut for any menu function of any program.

You can enter the Application name, then the function name, then set a control that you want. That's why I love the Mac.
    That is a great function.

Your reply seems to give me the impression that you use the arrow keys to navigate the menu bar. So if my File >Save As is right at the middle, I have to press a lot of arrow keys to get to it, whereas in Windows, I just pres Alt, F, A.
    No you don't need to. Jus t press Shift+CMD+S, that will give you "save as", and CMD+S will give you "save", so all "saving" is done with "S", and not F, A etc which is confusing.

vince123123
    Guests

The File Save As is just an example. It applies equally in my intiial comment, to all functions that do not have a predefined shortcut combination.

Quote Originally Posted by randytay View Post
    No you don't need to. Jus t press Shift+CMD+S, that will give you "save as", and CMD+S will give you "save", so all "saving" is done with "S", and not F, A etc which is confusing.
    I have since been enlightened by xray that we can actually set program/system wide shortcuts via a Control Panel equilvalent in the Mac - this is something new to me!

One down side though, I was using ANOTHER person's MAC the other time and couldn't access the menus in the usual way I was using in Windows. Whilst the xray method does work; it would be of limited use when using another person's MAC as I don't think its nice to reconfigure all his shortcuts :P

Still a good feature nonetheless.

wow... i learnt new stuff too, despite using a macbook pro for 1 yr+... lol..

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    Hi, FYI shift+click does work on all 3 modes - list, thumbnails and detailed.
    Tested. Can only work on lst and detailed. Cannot work on thumbnails. Is there anything that I missed out?

Blog Entries

Tested. Can only work on lst and detailed. Cannot work on thumbnails. Is there anything that I missed out?
    you must be missing something
    because it works on my mac.

you can also try command click

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast