Thread: Expat who really hates Singapore and Singaporeans!

Exclamation Expat who really hates Singapore and Singaporeans!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6668776054

Came across this on Facebook. Wonder why she is here if she hates us so much?

Default Re: Expat who really hates Singapore and Singaporeans!

hate hate lor, what you gonna do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by funkguru View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6668776054

Came across this on Facebook. Wonder why she is here if she hates us so much?
    Some don't have a choice. Some are sent here by their companies. Some are dragged by their parents for school...

In all fairness, she's very over-the-top, but some of the things she says are quite true. And her complaints are the common ones I hear from expats here.

There are a LOT of people in the world that don't like S'pore. We're not as popular as the newspapers would have you believe.

Must log in to see leh. Can someone copy and paste here, please?

well...what can i say, I agree with her completely

sure, posting it up

This group is dedicated to all those foreigners, tourists or expats (God help you) who have had to suffer through the best (..read worst) Singapore has to offer.

This is where you can vent your daily frustrations so we can all have a laugh together, but let me help you on your way...

YOU KNOW YOU'RE A FRUSTRATED FOREIGNER IN SINGAPORE WHEN:

You are watching TTN (The Tourism Network) for ideas about what to do in Singapore and laugh about how the cultural section gets approximately 15 seconds airplay before they spend the next 30 minutes urging you to go shopping and eat.

You go out and realise that TTN goes on and on about shopping and eating because really that’s all anyone ever does. It's a hell of a way to prop up an economy.

You are frustrated because the shopping is actually no cheaper than you can get back home, and all in all a little disappointing.

The food, while there is lots of it at hawker centres everywhere and Singaporeans pride themselves on it, is seriously overrated.

The eating, so famed by Singapore, is, for your average Australian, resident of San Francisco, New York, South of France etc I could go on, seriously average. Food courts and hawker centres continue to serve up meals that underwhelm. It’s like eating in the foodcourt of your most dirty shopping centre every day, full with people who chew with their mouths open and audibly suck in snot balls. Yuk really.

So you decide to do what you do back home a few times a week or more, go out for dinner. You quickly realise, to get a nice meal out with tablecloths will cost you a bomb.

To go out to a restaurant (to get a table cloth and wine glasses) you'll be paying at least $30-95 Sing dollars for a main course and $60-$OMG for a bottle of cheap wine you buy at home for $7 and wouldn't serve to your inlaws. Get real people.

And don't forget the plus plus. It's the final insult you always forget about. Take me back to Melbourne somebody!

For a country who considers itself so advanced, what the hell are you doing wrapping everything in plastic? Magazines in plastic, books in plastic, hey, I go to the bakery and unless I specify NO PLASTIC, I will get one bag for each item, then these little plastic bags will go inside more carry bags. On that note, try asking for no bag. It will take you two or three goes, because they just don't get it.

Once you've been here for about, hmmmm, one day, you swear every Singaporean has had a full lobotomy and spend the rest of the time trying to be decent, patient human being, convincing yourself that no, they can't all be like this. There must be someone with a brain out there... when no, it's happened again. AAARGH!!! INCOMPETENCE. RIFE. EVERYWHERE. HELP.

Try asking a question of your friendly sales assistant, waiter, employee, I dare you. You will either be met with a blank stare, or they will find someone else, who will find someone else, who will ask the manager, who brings everyone over to see what the problem is. Repeat.

You encounter the other extreme often, where they walk up to you and stare. If you ask a question, you know they will not be able to help you. So do what I do and simply try staring back. I like this game.

You have just used sarcasm. You have been met with a blank stare or fake laughter. They just don't get it.

After you have visited the manky themepark Sentosa for about 30 minutes in 30+ degree heat you are wondering what the hell you are doing there - and promptly get a taxi the hell out.

By now you understand how things work (or don't) here, so there is no way in hell you are going to the Jurong Bird park. You understand the severity of Bird Flu, and no amount of positive PR about rigorous prevention measures undertaken by their fully trained, on-the-ball, competent and forward thinking, risk managing staff will get you there.

You are seriously over not being able to understand what the hell they are saying. No-one seems to speak any one language well. Their English is broken and they all have the weirdest accents. Lots of them speak Malaysian, or something they call “Singlish” which is like pigeon English and every sentence ends with ‘lah’. You think about how it can get this way. You realise that learning is passed from generation to generation. You think about what it must be like trying to learn English from a Singaporean. You sigh.

Singaporeans are seriously patriotic and LOOOOVE Singapore because compared to the rest of Asia, yes, they are fairly advanced. But on a world standard, they are still a little (..read quite a bit) backward. They need to get out more. This annoys you.

In fact, the way Singaporeans go on about how great they are – all the time- gets you seriously uptight.

You are amazed that while George Bush earns approximately $400K and John Howard $300, Singapore's Prime Minister earns a crazy $3.4 million (yes, million) dollars a year and he justifies this by aligning his position/rank and file to a CEO running a private company. No one complains or seems to care. Never mind it’s tax payers money they are using, Singaporeans do what they are told. This annoys you.

You think he probably needs the money so he can get paid enough to eat out in this place.

The Prime Minister keeps telling everyone how great Singapore is, how proud they should be, that what they have is envied by the rest of the world, that tourists flock here because it is "The Pearl of the Orient" and that he is the sole entity keeping Singapore afloat. He says, "You pay peanuts, and you’ll get monkeys. Would you risk this glorious city with a monkey?" You think, you all need to get out more.

You rest assured in knowing that the only reason people generally come here is because they have been forced to come here for work, are passing through Changi Airport or stopping over on the way to somewhere else more exciting.

Enjoy this group! We're here to help!

i can't believe some singaporeans can agree with such an immensely biased and obviously racist group, disguised as something else

i was ok with everything until i reached the part on language, every country has their own unique way of talking, it is a conundrum whether to be proud of your own culture, or to be ashamed that you're different

but still, the idea is that you can't choose, therefore to me, it should not be picked on

i have taken the liberty to report this to facebook

hopefully something will be done

and shame on you, those who support the obviously screwed up ppl who started/joined the group

For a country who considers itself so advanced, what the hell are you doing wrapping everything in plastic? Magazines in plastic, books in plastic, hey, I go to the bakery and unless I specify NO PLASTIC, I will get one bag for each item, then these little plastic bags will go inside more carry bags. On that note, try asking for no bag. It will take you two or three goes, because they just don't get it.

Once you've been here for about, hmmmm, one day, you swear every Singaporean has had a full lobotomy and spend the rest of the time trying to be decent, patient human being, convincing yourself that no, they can't all be like this. There must be someone with a brain out there... when no, it's happened again. AAARGH!!! INCOMPETENCE. RIFE. EVERYWHERE. HELP.

Try asking a question of your friendly sales assistant, waiter, employee, I dare you. You will either be met with a blank stare, or they will find someone else, who will find someone else, who will ask the manager, who brings everyone over to see what the problem is. Repeat.

You encounter the other extreme often, where they walk up to you and stare. If you ask a question, you know they will not be able to help you. So do what I do and simply try staring back. I like this game.

You have just used sarcasm. You have been met with a blank stare or fake laughter. They just don't get it.

After you have visited the manky themepark Sentosa for about 30 minutes in 30+ degree heat you are wondering what the hell you are doing there - and promptly get a taxi the hell out.

By now you understand how things work (or don't) here, so there is no way in hell you are going to the Jurong Bird park. You understand the severity of Bird Flu, and no amount of positive PR about rigorous prevention measures undertaken by their fully trained, on-the-ball, competent and forward thinking, risk managing staff will get you there.

You are seriously over not being able to understand what the hell they are saying. No-one seems to speak any one language well. Their English is broken and they all have the weirdest accents. Lots of them speak Malaysian, or something they call “Singlish” which is like pigeon English and every sentence ends with ‘lah’. You think about how it can get this way. You realise that learning is passed from generation to generation. You think about what it must be like trying to learn English from a Singaporean. You sigh.
    japan's technology and innovation seems to have pwned most of the european countries, and also, there is no link between an ADVANCED country and what sort of packaging/plastic bags are used

if you enjoy entertaining such rednecks by joining in to cheer them on, by all means, i hope you burn
    Last edited by night86mare; 6th October 2007 at 04:25 AM.

why get pissed off with a bunch of australians?
    sorry but they're the last people on earth to criticize anyone. Anyone been to Perth?Anyone ever had fun in Perth? hahahaha

ok enough of this...What people want to say is their own. I would not want any politically bashing or racist wacking blah blah blah over here.

Thread closed.

This is extreme, is the writer related to one of those anti Sg Gov trying to destroy our image? Although there are policies that are not popular, which I myself also dislike them, I believe we are much better in many ways.

Every city has it own dark side, Sg is not alone. Been to NY once and I told myself that I will never go back there again although it is a great city, you walk with fear that someone may mob you and many ugly sides, even NYer tell you these (many of them are not really NYers, just work there for a living). Going Aussie to be threated as a 2nd class citizen, what for. Had met and worked with many expats, none had given bad remarks about Sg. Furthermore, in Sg, these foreigners are threated 1st class, so whats more the writer is asking for. Only conclusion is that the writer is having "green eyes" or having an agenda.

If Sgan don't defense and dislike the place they stay, by all means, they can always go to these "1st world" country and be threated as a 2nd class citizen and tax 45% of your salary to support someone who don't want to work. In any place in the world, going there for a short time is fun, staying there for long term, all the dark sides will surface. I would say we are reasonably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestrike View Post
    ok enough of this...What people want to say is their own. I would not want any politically bashing or racist wacking blah blah blah over here.

Thread closed.
    Hi Mod, you still haven't lock the thread.