Thread: Going Digital

Default Going Digital

Hi all,
    I have been playing with cameras for quite a few years but they have all been flim cameras. Lately, I am having an incredible itch to go digital. My last few cameras has been flim SLRs, so what I would like to know if it is advisable to go straight to DSLR or should I try to get used to digital cameras first by getting a digital point and shoot?

Since DSLRs are a huge investments, I think it would be safer to use a cheaper camera as a learning tool.

What do you guys think? How is a Canon A70 as a starter D-camera?

Default Re: Going Digital

Originally posted by Stoppable
    Hi all,
    I have been playing with cameras for quite a few years but they have all been flim cameras. Lately, I am having an incredible itch to go digital. My last few cameras has been flim SLRs, so what I would like to know if it is advisable to go straight to DSLR or should I try to get used to digital cameras first by getting a digital point and shoot?

Since DSLRs are a huge investments, I think it would be safer to use a cheaper camera as a learning tool.

Since you've been using slrs for quite some time, I think you'd find the features on an A70 very limiting. If money is tight, go for either a CP5700, 7Hi, 602z. Or you could even try looking for a 2ndhand D30 for around $1000.

Alternatively, you can buy a 2nd hand older generation DSLR, for practise purpose. After you get the feel (and the kick) of it, sell it as a 3rd hand and buy your dream new DSLR. If you don't get the feel and the kick, also sell it and reverse back to film. You won't lose much $.

What about shooting?

What kind of photography do you like?

I think thoa_rs is right. Actually I was looking at DSLRs. Visited many sites for reviews on DSLRs and putting aside money in preparation for the eventual purchase my dream DSLR. Then one morning it hit me that I might find the processing of digital images too tedious and complicated, so that is why I thought of getting a simpler digital (cheaper) camera to try out first.

Another thing that made me think about a cheaper model is spouseís approval. She will kill me if she found out how much I paid for a DC that she canít use. So the idea is to get one where she can use and I learn something with it too.

The itch of getting a DSLR has been enhanced lately, with the introduction of EOS10D and the recent drop in DSLR prices.

I like shooting people and buildings.

So with a budget of about $600, what would you recommend?

Deregistered

So with a budget of about $600, what would you recommend?
    Whoa..... maybe you'd want to consider trying out on a non-DSLR first then. Unless so lucky to get a 2nd-hand S1 or D30 or something.

No lah, setting aside a seperate fund for the DSLR lah. Give myself more time, I think about 3K should be reasonable.

$600 is buget for the play play camera.

Take note of the below if you are moving to Digital System.

1) One common characteristic between DSLR and DigiCam is that they are battery suckers and they require some time to boot up. Usually the DSLR boot up faster.

2) The DSLR is better than the DigiCam in the Focusing system. The DigiCam rely heavily on auto focus. Manual focusing with the DigiCam LCD display is hell lot more difficult than shooting an arrow onto the bulls eye.

3) The DSLR W/battery pack is a lot more heavier than a normal SLR.

4) The Digicam is "Cheaper".

5) The A40 metering system sucks. It is too limiting.
    You cannot spot meter when using the Manual mode.
    You can only select 2 aperture setting per focal length in Manual Mode.
    The P Mode will not show you the exposure setting of the picure.
    You cannot do manual focusing at all.
    It has a "PLASTIC" tripod mounting.
    It is very grainy for night shoots, even with ISO 50.

If the A70 inherits all this from the A40, you're better off with a G2 or G3

However, to be fair, A40 is a real bargian for its price. After all these complains, I'm glad that it still takes very good quaily daylight pictures at ISO 50.
    Last edited by jasonpgc; 30th April 2003 at 10:08 AM.

newuser
    Guests

Default Re: Going Digital

Hi all,

If you have been using film SLR all the while. Getting a DSLR will actually mean little learning involved as you will have accquired the basics of SLR photography.

And you will already have lens and flash and accessories from your film SLR to go with your DSLR body, so there is isn't any "huge investments" so to speak.

If the Film SLR is to be your primary tool of photography, than get a similar brand P&S camera, assuming your Film SLR is Canon, than get G3, assuming your film SLR is Nikon, get Coolpix 5000.

This way your Nikon or Canon speedlites can be used on them just fine. Unless your Film SLR is Pentax or Sigma or Minolta

If your Digital camera is set to replace the way you shoot, a straight migration to DSLR shouldn't be too difficult for you.
    Same old stuff like Film SLR...ISO, aperature, speed and etc are all too familar, only diff is the LCD to preview your shots.

Deregistered

No lah, setting aside a seperate fund for the DSLR lah. Give myself more time, I think about 3K should be reasonable.

$600 is buget for the play play camera.
    Then A70 will be just nice. $530-590 thereabouts, I think. Shop around as there are many shops in Sg and you'll probably get quite a range of prices, freebies and all that.

Thanks jasonpgc for your advice on switching to DSLR. My flim SLR is a Sigma. So are the my 2 lenses and the EF500 flashgun. The natural choice of a DSLR would be the SD9. But there are some bad comments on it so far. The slow auto focus problem that I read about, I believe, is real. My Sigma also has focusing problems sometimes. But most of the time pictures turn out great.

Just got a quote for SD9 at $3000 (w/o GST). I rather go for the S2, D100 or EOS10D and pay alittle more for a new lens. My flash should be compatible with Nikon or Canon bodies.

Anyway, I'll spend some more time researching these DSLR b4 taking the plunge. And at the meantime, play around with a digicam.