Thread: Tripod Hunt

Default Tripod Hunt

Hi people,

I'm thinking of getting myself a tripod soon.
    And I wonder if you guys can help me out here as I am not much an equipment expert.
    I own a D200 btw if you guys are wondering.
    I would say that I am not all out for an expensive one.
    Just a decent tripod which is worth the money and that works well with the D200 would be nice
    I would appreciate it as well if you guys could tell me the market selling price as well if you happen to know

Thanks folks.

Cheers

Default Re: Tripod Hunt

For a start, you need to know the weight of your setup and choose the ballhead or tripod accordingly to their maximum allowable weight.

weight of ur setup? budget? weight u are willing to carry? pan or ball head?
    cameras are not made of tofu

For me, I rather get a good tripod at the beginning.

I'm not really sure how to answer these questions. But I'll try my best

As for the weight of the setup, it'll just be the D200 with its vertical grip intact.
    Budget wise, I'm looking at about S$300 max. Too little? If it's more expensive, then I might just wait until my savings suffice
    Pan or ball head? Maybe somebody would be kind enough to explain the difference. Appreciate it much.

Thanks for the comments people. Keep 'em comin'.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbux View Post

As for the weight of the setup, it'll just be the D200 with its vertical grip intact.
    Budget wise, I'm looking at about S$300 max. Too little? If it's more expensive, then I might just wait until my savings suffice
    Pan or ball head? Maybe somebody would be kind enough to explain the difference. Appreciate it much.

Cheers
    if you intend to use it for landscape, go for pan otherwise a ballhead.

jux a piece of advice, u may wan to consider the height of the tripod also. if u are tall, get a tall tripod, if u are short, dun get a tall tripod if not u nid to open the legs of the tripod wider b4 u can use. u must also take into consider the height of the ball height and also the height of the battery grip.

for me, i 've a tripod and when i open up the legs at 73 degrees and the centre column down. the viewfinder is just nice at my eye level. but if i were to add another battery grip, i wud haf to tip toe. or either open the legs wider.

it is always to get a good tripod for its sturdiness and a strong head. this is especially when u are taking night shots ( long exposure and if got wind blow, ur camera will shake a little causing blur images .
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbux View Post

Cheers
    Besides the body, you would need to factor in the weight of the lens you now use, and intend to use. Think about other add-ons like flash. The head should withstand the weight of your camera+lens+add-ons, and the tripod should withstand the above + weight of the head.

with that money, Manfrotto 190B is best buy.

Any other models to go for? Anyone? Thanks

when i mean manfrotto 190B, i just mean the tripod legs only. i changed the tripod head to 029 MK2. so the entire package is about ... 270+ 220 = $490. solid legs, solid head. great stuff.

your d200 only needs 055DB tripod + standard head, i think it is a good buy.

you have not mentioned what sort of lens are you going to use..
    Macro? landscapes? Birding?

Quote Originally Posted by IONSOON View Post
    jux a piece of advice, u may wan to consider the height of the tripod also. if u are tall, get a tall tripod, if u are short, dun get a tall tripod if not u nid to open the legs of the tripod wider b4 u can use. u must also take into consider the height of the ball height and also the height of the battery grip.

for me, i 've a tripod and when i open up the legs at 73 degrees and the centre column down. the viewfinder is just nice at my eye level. but if i were to add another battery grip, i wud haf to tip toe. or either open the legs wider.

it is always to get a good tripod for its sturdiness and a strong head. this is especially when u are taking night shots ( long exposure and if got wind blow, ur camera will shake a little causing blur images .
    i agree. my first tripod (for pns) was v short and i was having a hard time shooting. especially for fireworks.

so when i was shopping around for a tripod for my dslr, height was a huge factor for me. no good being uncomfortble when shooting. I'm a 6footer and the 190PROB with 488rc2 fits me perfectly well.

jus my 2cents - if you dun have a 'height problem' then shldn be an issue i guess

I am around 6 foot 3 and I find the 190PROB too short if the center column is not extended to its full height.

This would be a good place to start your search http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=129882

As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, you'd need to factor in the lenses you plan to use as well. It's almost impossible to advise just knowing you have a D200.

Thanks all for the inputs