Thread: Dell 27" LCD Monitor

Default Dell 27" LCD Monitor

Hey guys

Been looking at this monitor for a bit, looking for some reviews of it, anyone have it mind sharing what they think?

Ill be using it for alot of photo editing, gaming, tv and movies, so needs to be quite the workhorse.

Cheers in advance!

Elliot

Default Re: Dell 27" LCD Monitor

No-one? haha

get youself wireless keyboard and mouse first

Quote Originally Posted by asdfghjkl View Post
    get youself wireless keyboard and mouse first
    Already got! Haha

Already discussed here.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Already discussed here.
    Already found this, it discusses the 24" not the 27"

But thanks for the effort

Get the 30" instead. The 27" isn't worth it. Same res as the 24" somemore.

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha View Post
    Get the 30" instead. The 27" isn't worth it. Same res as the 24" somemore.
    Yeap you are absolutely right!

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Already found this, it discusses the 24" not the 27"

But thanks for the effort
    My friend has one 27 inch. He is not regretting for getting it as it has the same resolution as the 24inch.

Although screen size is larger but you are still getting the same resolution. I hope you get what I meant. It's really not worth getting it unless you want to go one step higher which is the 30 inch. It's expensive but it's worth every single cent you spend.

With 24inch you are getting the best overall resolution compared to the 27 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    My friend has one 27 inch. He is not regretting for getting it as it has the same resolution as the 24inch.

Although screen size is larger but you are still getting the same resolution. I hope you get what I meant. It's really not worth getting it unless you want to go one step higher which is the 30 inch. It's expensive but it's worth every single cent you spend.

With 24inch you are getting the best overall resolution compared to the 27 inch.
    I'm coming from another POV. While rez is the same, the working space is 3 inch larger, just nice for those pesky yet needed toolbars in CS. So I can still view the image at the resolution at that enlarged 24in of my screen. Afterall, very few of my apps work on full-screen. As I don't do gaming or watch videos, I thought this extra 3 inches can be pretty useful.

I just got a new dell 9200 with a 24". I see this as a good compromise before hitting 27/30". After calibration, I'm very happy with the image quality.

The 27" IMO is has too large a pixel pitch (pixels are bigger) which makes the resolution look lower.

The 30" screen will require a powerful GPU (read expensive ) to run, as it has a much higher resolution. So if you want to play games, the cost and power usage of your computer will be higher.

In conclusion, save your money and get the 24". Alternatively, for the best screen, get the 30" and a new GPU to run your games.
    1D MkIII, 5D MkII 16-200 2.8L, 35L, 50L, 135L
    View my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    I just got a new dell 9200 with a 24". I see this as a good compromise before hitting 27/30". After calibration, I'm very happy with the image quality.

The 27" IMO is has too large a pixel pitch (pixels are bigger) which makes the resolution look lower.

The 30" screen will require a powerful GPU (read expensive ) to run, as it has a much higher resolution. So if you want to play games, the cost and power usage of your computer will be higher.

In conclusion, save your money and get the 24". Alternatively, for the best screen, get the 30" and a new GPU to run your games.
    If I am not wrong, the 30 inch needs 2 graphics card to run the screen.

I just got my Dell Precision 490 as well but without monitor as I have 2 X 24 inch liao.

Which 9200 series did you get? The Quad Core one?

Thanks all, in that case I will probably go for the Apple 23", even though it is quite a bit more than the 24" dell

for photo DI, i'm not too sure about it, but I have 4 of the LCD in my office, which were turned on 24/7 for the purpose of inmarsat tracking for ocean going vessels. for DI, i'm using the 24" which is good enuff.

for the 27" i hooked up 2 panels to one server, so the 4 displays used up 2 servers.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    No-one? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    If I am not wrong, the 30 inch needs 2 graphics card to run the screen.

I just got my Dell Precision 490 as well but without monitor as I have 2 X 24 inch liao.

Which 9200 series did you get? The Quad Core one?
    I have the 9200 with quad core, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, 4GB memory and the 10K RPM HDD. No trouble importing nearly 20K photos into Lightroom so far
    View my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    I have the 9200 with quad core, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, 4GB memory and the 10K RPM HDD. No trouble importing nearly 20K photos into Lightroom so far
    Wah yummy system!

My specs is a little crazy too........(it would have been more crazy if I had more money!)

I am using 2 x 73GB(SAS 15,000RPM) HDD running @ RAID 0. Ommp up my ECC RAM 4 X 2GB.

Running on OS Xp 64bit......hehe....with Xeon Quad Processor 2.0Ghz. (Still thinking of getting a second processor but the price is about $1,000).

Surprisingly, the case is rather small. So the only thing which I did not like is I cannot put in anymore HDD......because it's a workstation but at least they have 3 Firewire output which is fast enough for me lar.

The other bad thing is the PSU is a 750W......which sucks up a lot of juice. I have not switch off my system since 1 month ago......so I can see my PUB bill rising......

I didn't realize there were dedicated systems for workstation by dell, or I would have gotten those too...

15k RPM sounds wonderful!!

Maybe after 3 years will upgrade to a workstation, esp if I keep finding that I lack the time to play any games... Darn JC life
    View my flickr

Dell monitors are good overall. Haven't really remember anyone complaining big time on Dell LCDs.

The decision to get the 27" compared to the 24" is something like getting the 22" to the 20". The pixel resolution are the same but the size of the panels are larger. Actually, when you're over 20", everything seems large already, the extra 2 or 3 inch don't really make a difference.

I would personally get the 24" unless the 27" is really priced well.

I'm using a Dell 2405 at home. Fantastic value for money, anyday.
    24" is going for $999 the last time I saw.

The thing about getting Apple LCD...Unless you can visually see the difference, or you need the table space badly, the price premium doesn't seem to justify the purchase, at least for me. Again, at 20" and above, you will be looking at the pixels more than the design of the monitor.