Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Star Effect in Night Shots

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeastern paradise
    Posts
    197

    Default Star Effect in Night Shots

    Hi, any bros know how to create the star effect for the lights in night shots, without filtering effect?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    use small aperture with long exposure. they are called diffraction spikes. the number of spikes is related to the number of aperture blades.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeastern paradise
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    use small aperture with long exposure. they are called diffraction spikes. the number of spikes is related to the number of aperture blades.
    Wow... thanks.
    What would be a recommended aperture / shutter setting to create the effect?

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,932

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    F8,F11 and above?
    this was done at F18 IIRC

    Last edited by Redsun; 5th October 2007 at 12:26 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots


  6. #6
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    jus attach a star filter.

    or shoot in very small apertures like f16 n up.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeastern paradise
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Din really know where is the best place to post. The thread here was intended for the technique in general, w/o the use of pp or filters. The other thread welcomes comments more on related pp and filtering techniques, if applicable.

    I have closed the other thread...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    jus attach a star filter.

    or shoot in very small apertures like f16 n up.
    IMO star filter effects are not as attractive as those shot without them. In other words, they looked fake.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    IMO star filter effects are not as attractive as those shot without them. In other words, they looked fake.
    yes, and very retro

    in any case, stopping down will give you your star effect, the smaller the aperture, the more pronounced the effect

    note that this will only work for POINT SOURCES of light
    i.e. neon lights will not have starburst effect

    you can do this during the daytime given the correct tools and approach to capture the sun as a starburst

    or the moon even, if the night sky is clear enough, hope this helps, cheers

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    IMO star filter effects are not as attractive as those shot without them. In other words, they looked fake.
    not entirely correct. depends on how u use the filter and under what circumstances.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, and very retro

    in any case, stopping down will give you your star effect, the smaller the aperture, the more pronounced the effect

    note that this will only work for POINT SOURCES of light
    i.e. neon lights will not have starburst effect

    you can do this during the daytime given the correct tools and approach to capture the sun as a starburst

    or the moon even, if the night sky is clear enough, hope this helps, cheers
    Yupz true.....initially when i first started out night photography with a DSLR i thought the star effects are done using a filter until one fine day i finally found out how to do it.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    not entirely correct. depends on how u use the filter and under what circumstances.
    I've tried out these filters several times and i really don't fancy the results.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I've tried out these filters several times and i really don't fancy the results.
    u need to use them appropriately.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    not entirely correct. depends on how u use the filter and under what circumstances.
    can look ok la

    but if you shoot landscapes, normally looks quite bad

  15. #15
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    can look ok la

    but if you shoot landscapes, normally looks quite bad
    if u're referring to the pic quality?

    the BRAND of the filter plays a part.


    the more filter u stack, the lousier the quality.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    if u're referring to the pic quality?

    the BRAND of the filter plays a part.


    the more filter u stack, the lousier the quality.
    no, not iq

    maybe i have not seen any star filter shots in landscape where the effect works
    but if you could direct me somewhere where i could view, i'd be glad =)
    Last edited by night86mare; 6th October 2007 at 12:41 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    u need to use them appropriately.
    Nah, to me these filters are of no use to me. Best is to shoot them without the filter, let the small aperture and exposure time create the effect.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, not iq

    maybe i have not seen any star filter shots in landscape where the effect works
    but if you could direct me somewhere where i could view, i'd be glad =)
    not much on star filter but i did a few such fotos. let me search and upload and we can haf a discussion.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Nah, to me these filters are of no use to me. Best is to shoot them without the filter, let the small aperture and exposure time create the effect.
    yup, tat is one way. sometimes using the sun as a subject matter or even at weddings...


    the star filter can be pretty handy.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Star Effect in Night Shots








    which is shot with star filter?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •