View Poll Results: Portraitures, is a make-up artist important?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 80.00%
  • No

    4 8.89%
  • Neutral

    5 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: Importance of a good makeup artist

  1. #1
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Importance of a good makeup artist

    How many of us shoot portraits and find that a make-up artist is a MUST?

    I'm a noob at portraiture but I dun see much point in shooting a model if there isn't any decent makeup or styling done. How many would agree with such a statement?

    Let's discuss.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    it depends on what you want to achieve

  3. #3

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    How many of us shoot portraits and find that a make-up artist is a MUST?

    I'm a noob at portraiture but I dun see much point in shooting a model if there isn't any decent makeup or styling done. How many would agree with such a statement?

    Let's discuss.

    What is your definition of a portrait?

    Do you mean pictures of pretty young things adorned with pretty clothes, and nice clean hair, and smile vacantly, and make people say "wow!", "nose bleed!"?

    Is that what you mean by "portrait"? If so, you will not only need to have a good make-up artist, you will also need a stylist, an art director, and.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by Anjinnete Ross View Post
    What is your definition of a portrait?

    Do you mean pictures of pretty young things adorned with pretty clothes, and nice clean hair, and smile vacantly, and make people say "wow!", "nose bleed!"?

    Is that what you mean by "portrait"? If so, you will not only need to have a good make-up artist, you will also need a stylist, an art director, and.....
    Well, that in general...

    But with most of the portraits we take, how many of us actually see good styling work done before the shoots? I guess only those who wants quality and shoot mainly in the studio. So far, I've not joined up with those outdoor shoots, so I can't be sure on the number who provides a make-up artist at least....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #5
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by Anjinnete Ross View Post
    What is your definition of a portrait?

    Do you mean pictures of pretty young things adorned with pretty clothes, and nice clean hair, and smile vacantly, and make people say "wow!", "nose bleed!"?

    Is that what you mean by "portrait"? If so, you will not only need to have a good make-up artist, you will also need a stylist, an art director, and.....

    For nose bleed shots.... no clothing required....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    For nose bleed shots.... no clothing required....
    No clothing doesn't mean no makeup or no styling...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    No clothing doesn't mean no makeup or no styling...
    actually hor, no clothing need more styling
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    For nose bleed shots.... no clothing required....
    need to shoot no clothing to make people nose bleed, standard is still no good.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    good make up artist make your life easier,

    bad make up artist let you wait long long, and take all the blame for lousy photos.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    if you referring to shooting XMM type of portraits, like you pay her or TFCD session...
    yes, make up artist is very important, either you pay or ask XMM to pay, unless...

    .....your XMM is really a XMM, below 12 years old..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    waiaung.deviantart.com
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    IMO the make up plays a significant role when it comes to closeups and studio photography, especially when you're taking glamour shots. When it comes to outdoors, it is less significant compared to the studio shoots, neverthless, it still is important. - Well, all those are talking from portraits/glamour.

    No make up is necessary if you're shooting Journalism or something like that. :P
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

  12. #12

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    i cannot comment on the organised shoots because i have nvr been to one but my wife is a mua and generally, if u are not looking at achieving any special look, i don't think u need a mua unless the model has terrible make up skills.

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    even the top model as need make up artist.. how can you say make up artist no important??

    have you even see a (real professional) model not wearing any make up??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    make up for photography it's not just simply apply some colors on faces,

    it is making human faces to look more 3D on the 2D images, if the photographer lighting skill is sucks, he need make up artist more than other people.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    even the top model as need make up artist.. how can you say make up artist no important??

    have you even see a (real professional) model not wearing any make up??
    i have. when they are not working.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    make up for photography it's not just simply apply some colors on faces,

    it is making human faces to look more 3D on the 2D images, if the photographer lighting skill is sucks, he need make up artist more than other people.
    definitely agree. make up is a must. just how much and how good.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Pardon me, please?

    I seem to get the impression from what were posted thus far, "portrait" = models shoot.

    I think a portrait is a lot more than photographing models.

  18. #18
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by Anjinnete Ross View Post
    Pardon me, please?

    I seem to get the impression from what were posted thus far, "portrait" = models shoot.

    I think a portrait is a lot more than photographing models.
    you must understand why the TS asking this question, if it is from a street shooter or photojournalist asking this question, it will have different type of responses.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  19. #19
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by Anjinnete Ross View Post
    Pardon me, please?

    I seem to get the impression from what were posted thus far, "portrait" = models shoot.

    I think a portrait is a lot more than photographing models.
    I would agree that a portrait is more than just shooting models, but generally in posed portraits, wouldn't we agree that a certain amount of makeup and styling it required?

    Seriously, I'm waiting for Deadpoet to make his comments...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  20. #20

    Default Re: Importance of a good makeup artist

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I would agree that a portrait is more than just shooting models, but generally in posed portraits, wouldn't we agree that a certain amount of makeup and styling it required?

    Seriously, I'm waiting for Deadpoet to make his comments...
    He would definitely say MUA is a must... PLUS HAIR STYLIST....
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •