Thread: How much should I charge? Should I even be charging? RE: 2010 Youth Olympics bid docu

Default How much should I charge? Should I even be charging? RE: 2010 Youth Olympics bid docu

Hi bros and snrs here!

Got this mail today:

Hi Zhikang,

Hope you're well. I'm the production manager on the bid document to win Singapore the 2010 Youth Olympics. I'm getting in touch as we would like to use one of your photographs on the front cover of the document.

The photograph is: 1078724139_f9589395c5.jpg It's of a girl at the National Day Parade, with a flag painted on her face in a red top.

The publication will be presented to the International Olympic Committee and will influence whether Singapore hosts the games or not. However, we do need to hear back from you very quickly.

Could you email me at ______@gmail.com as soon as possible.

How much do you think I should charge for sth like that? ie. What is the market rate?

Quite a surprise for me sia... dunno wad to do as to charging them...
    When life hands u lemons.... ASK FOR TEQUILA AND SALT!

Default Re: How much should I charge? Should I even be charging? RE: 2010 Youth Olympics bid

can post the photo bro...??? nice to read that letter...

Default Re: How much should I charge? Should I even be charging? RE: 2010 Youth Olympics bid

bro u can visit my flickr and see if u can work out which photo izzit. heh... it's in the NDP 2007 set... www.flickr.com/photos/zhikang

you might also want to consider if the person in the picture allows you do use it.

noted

2010 Olympics bid got huge budget. Charge them an arm and a leg!

lol see how la this one only bid document nia... if go through and they wanna use for further publicity... den BIG MONEY TIO BEH PIO HOSAY LIAO!

Do not fall prey to exhortations to do "national" service. These people screwed up, they should have asked for the photo much earlier rather than pushing you to revert to them at the last minute!

hmmm... need to get model release for something like this?

Blog Entries

charge at least the same as stock photos

say from S$250 - S$500

don't forget to buy me coffee after you collect the money

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Autumnite View Post
    hmmm... need to get model release for something like this?
    let them know that you do not have a model release and will not be held liable
    put it down in black and white with the terms of use

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    let them know that you do not have a model release and will not be held liable
    put it down in black and white with the terms of use
    Please take note of this even if you let them use it for free.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

yup noted bros thanks alot for all your help. have come to agreement with them. gonna ask a law student friend help prep black and white. is model release still absolutely necessary since the photo was taken @ a public event?

Search and you'll find the answers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zhikang View Post
    yup noted bros thanks alot for all your help. have come to agreement with them. gonna ask a law student friend help prep black and white. is model release still absolutely necessary since the photo was taken @ a public event?
    model release, needed or not, depends on the usage of the photograph

just tell them that you do not have, if they need they will have to find the person and get it.
    it is better if you do not get involved in this.

also get it in black and white that they know that there is no model release.
    and then used that black and white to cover your behind if needed.

ok thanks a lot bro.

vince123123
    Guests

If its used in the local context, and Singapore law applies, it would be doubtful whether a model release is required.

And if they are as kiasu or as misinformed like most Singapore photographers, when you tell them that there's no model release, one of two things will happen:

1. They will use that as a reason to cut the price (however justified it is).

2. They will require that you give an indemnity of the individual decides to take action against them (no matter how remote this is because of issues on whether there is evena cause of action).

ok sales agreement signed and goods have been delivered to client! thanks bros for all your help! closing thread!