Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: To Kill a "Singing" Koel

Default Re: To Kill a "Singing" Koel

TODAY
    The instinct to care

Thursday • October 4, 2007

Goh Boon Choo

LIKE other countries around the world, animal welfare organisations in Singapore hold events to commemorate World Animal Day today.

The World Animal Day website, www.worldanimalday.org.uk, tells us it is a day which aims to:

• Celebrate animal life in all its forms

• Celebrate humankind’s relationship with the animal kingdom

• Acknowledge the diverse roles that animals play in our lives — from being our companions and supporting and helping us, to bringing a sense of wonder into our lives

• Acknowledge and be thankful for the way in which animals enrich our lives. Do we need a special day to remember the dogs and cats we call our pets, the chickens and cows we eat, the orang utans running out of room in Borneo, or even the polar bears languishing at the melting North Pole?

While some would say yes, there are others who would surely say no. Many people would not have made the deeper connection about relationships between people, animals, the environment and our future. Although there is no lack of information, most people cling to the “out of sight, out of mind” mentality.

No doubt, it is a complex web of connections. But the underpinning principle is simple: Take too much of anything out of a system without allowing it to replenish, and the system will collapse, bringing everything else down with it.

While humankind may have dominion over the Earth — we build civilisations and, in the process, destroy forests and coral reefs — we are not self-sustaining. Wherever we are, we breathe in air that is produced mainly by the tropical rainforests of South America and Indonesia.

It is predicted that there will be no more orang utans to be found in Indonesia’s jungles within five to 10 years.

Needless to say, if they go, the rainforests — our oxygen tanks — will not be far behind. The yearly haze that chokes Singapore skies is our reminder that that day is coming.

World Animal Day began in 1931 at a convention of ecologists in Florence as a way of highlighting the plight of endangered species. Even then, the implications of losing animal species were clear. And yet, to date, politics and economics still dictate whether anything is done at all to save a species in peril — often due to human causes.

But before we worry about what happens to animals around the world, compassion must begin at home.

Said Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew at the recent Singapore Maritime Lecture: “I do not see any leaders saying let us eat less, eat more vegetables, eat less meat.”

Eating less, and eating less meat, not only translates into a healthier diet, it is kinder to animals and the Earth, and to our fellow men: Resources freed up from feeding farmstock can be diverted to feed the world’s 1 billion starving people.

Surely, we must also care about the animals we purport to love. For more than 20 years, 20,000 dogs and cats have been put to death every year. If we sterilise our pets, keep them indoors and do not abandon them, the number of homeless animals wandering our streets — and thus vulnerable to this death sentence — would be that much smaller.

Out of sight should no longer be out of mind. World Animal Day really isn’t just about the animals. It is about us, what we do to them and the environment, and what state we leave the system in for our children to inherit.

How will you be celebrating World Animal Day?

This was contributed by a reader.

Can try this simple solution. Get a super soaker ( those powerful water spray gun ), mix plenty of chopped onions to the water the night before. Remove the onions and use the water to spray on the leaves and branches around the area. The birds will hate the smell of the onions so much that they will go away
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Can try this simple solution. Get a super soaker ( those powerful water spray gun ), mix plenty of chopped onions to the water the night before. Remove the onions and use the water to spray on the leaves and branches around the area. The birds will hate the smell of the onions so much that they will go away
    Sounds quite evil leh.. Would you like it if someone came and pissed all over your house?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The Koel is a quite a rare bird in SG, very elusive most of the time you only hear its call. Every morning when I hear it's call, I would try to spot it but always no avail. This guy should move if he doesn't want to be anywhere near nature.
    Rare? I have several nesting in my area. Every morning, every evening, every time it's the same light level as dusk/dawn (like when rain is coming) I hear them. Every time a car alarm goes off, the birds go crazy too (they think it's a territorial rival).

They're easy to spot... Big and black. They prefer laying their eggs in crow's nests. I always see them.

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    Sounds quite evil leh.. Would you like it if someone came and pissed all over your house?
    OT "off"
    Depends on how you look at it. The bird will not lose anything by going to another spot, they are after all living in the wild. By "encouraging" them to find another spot in this manner is still better than using any other method which may harm the bird or the tree. After all, if the bird is disturbing your sleep, won't you want it to go away also?

OT "on"
    Of course, if I can talk to the bird and explain things to it and come to an understanding with it, over a cup of kopi and some bird seed, that would be best , but that would mean I have to "kon jeow way" and I can't "bird talk"
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

OT "off"
    Depends on how you look at it. The bird will not lose anything by going to another spot, they are after all living in the wild. By "encouraging" them to find another spot in this manner is still better than using any other method which may harm the bird or the tree. After all, if the bird is disturbing your sleep, won't you want it to go away also?
    If *all* people start "treating" the trees like that, then the birds will have no place left.

Also, the Koel is very territorial. It can't just "move somewhere else" without getting into a fight with the Koels in the area it was displaced to.

Is that the solution to the Koel?

One of my cats is a qualified sunbird killer...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    If *all* people start "treating" the trees like that, then the birds will have no place left.

Also, the Koel is very territorial. It can't just "move somewhere else" without getting into a fight with the Koels in the area it was displaced to.
    Thanks for the info.

I guess it's a fine line between what a person needs ( for a peaceful sleep ) and what is the nature of the birds. Just like the koel need to "fight" for a place with another koel, in this case, it's also fighting for a place to stay but this time it's with a human. One need to fight for a place to stay while the other need to fight for a place to rest. I don't think anyone can say who is right or wrong.
    Anyway, though I don't know too much or enough about birds, I'm sure there are more than enough trees for the birds to find their own place.

Thanks for the info.

I guess it's a fine line between what a person needs ( for a peaceful sleep ) and what is the nature of the birds. Just like the koel need to "fight" for a place with another koel, in this case, it's also fighting for a place to stay but this time it's with a human. One need to fight for a place to stay while the other need to fight for a place to rest. I don't think anyone can say who is right or wrong.
    Anyway, though I don't know too much or enough about birds, I'm sure there are more than enough trees for the birds to find their own place.
    If it happened to me, and there's a loud kukucheow outside my window talking cheow wei, I will put on my iPod and continue to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    If it happened to me, and there's a loud kukucheow outside my window talking cheow wei, I will put on my iPod and continue to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's one way of getting round the problem

I say we must ask rifle club members to come shoot the bird after all it is disturbing the sleep of a highly evolved human.

At the same time perhaps we can also arrest those parents who dont control their kids and let them run wild especially in libraries and bookstores such as popular. You can't miss them kids around 3 to 5 years old, the boys normally have a ponytail and they just love to chase each other round the book shelves and scream at the each other. As for the kids? I propose they be smacked in public for they are also disturbing the peace of other highly evolved humans.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    I say we must ask rifle club members to come shoot the bird after all it is disturbing the sleep of a highly evolved human.

At the same time perhaps we can also arrest those parents who dont control their kids and let them run wild especially in libraries and bookstores such as popular. You can't miss them kids around 3 to 5 years old, the boys normally have a ponytail and they just love to chase each other round the book shelves and scream at the each other. As for the kids? I propose they be smacked in public for they are also disturbing the peace of other highly evolved humans.
    I think the first solution can be reapplied here Si Gin Nah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post

Kids from 3 to 5 don't know what they're doing but their parents should know better, they should be the ones to be smack!!! Where do I apply to do the smacking?

I was just thinking...

WHAT'S WRONG WITH WAKING UP AT 0630H?

Is that the solution to the Koel?
    Wait till they fight in the middle of the night and wake you up at 3am.

Rare? I have several nesting in my area. Every morning, every evening, every time it's the same light level as dusk/dawn (like when rain is coming) I hear them. Every time a car alarm goes off, the birds go crazy too (they think it's a territorial rival).

They're easy to spot... Big and black. They prefer laying their eggs in crow's nests. I always see them.
    I always see crow instead..

guess our life is too good, writing letter to complain of kfc too small piece, writing letter to town council of a singing bird. Will this issue be discussed in next government meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    I was just thinking...

WHAT'S WRONG WITH WAKING UP AT 0630H?

Or you rather have them making noise next to YOUR room at 4am to 5am?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    When life throws you lemons, go make lemonade..
    No la, as my gf says "When life throws you lemons, ask for some salt and tequila
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast