View Poll Results: Which Brand Of Compact Flash Cards is The Best??

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ridata

35 20.23%
  • SanDisk

49 28.32%
  • Lexar

37 21.39%
  • Kingston

6 3.47%
  • Transcend

39 22.54%
  • Viking

0 0%
  • Crucial

0 0%
  • Others

7 4.05%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Brand Of Compact Flash Is Good???

Hi, any idea about the SANDISK ULTRA 2 1 GB ?? I own one but I have no idea about the performance. Where can I get its performance data? I only know that its kinda fast...

For me the most reliable one has been Transcend. I fell into the trap a while back by purchasing a Viking card from Amazon because they were cheap. I took it on holiday to Barcelona during which time the card become corrupt and I lost a load of precious holiday snaps. My advice, don't scrimp on getting a cheap brand memory card because you may regret it in future.

just got my 128mb transcend 25x CF for $65. but the card is abit too big for my digi cam (A70). it wont reject out like my 16mb cannon CF does.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    Why does CF speed matter on a dSLR? i would think it mattered more on a digicam.

On a dSLR (at least on mine), there are buffers which are much faster than the card. You'd NEVER notice the speed of your CF card unless you actually hit the buffer limit, and this rarely happens, except for maybe the 300D and 1D. For most of us, we don't trigger at that rate. In my 6 months of 10D usage, i've only hit full buffer once, during a fashion shoot.
    I totally concur with you. Yes, the actual speed depends on BOTH the card and the camera. I just got a toshiba 512mb, cheapo/no-speed one. i suppose it's 20-25X. I use it for my 300D. Used to use ridaate 16X 128mb for G2. Which is pretty slow, if i write a RAW file, 2+mb? on G2, it'll take at least 4secs before i can take another shot, if i use the toshiba, i see 'busy' for <1sec before i can snap again.

On the 300D, the buffer can only take 4 shots, the writing speed ain't that fast either, so heck, no-brand low speed CF is enough. Most impt thing is i can take a shot, if i wanna snap v fast again, i'll just trigger the shutter again. If u KS, leave the cam in burst mode, and leave your finger on the shutter etc etc.

I'd like to do sequence shots of rollerblading, like
    can this can only be done with G2 or 10D etc. 300D booboo...tried to snap aeroplane at AAS2004, with 4frame buffer,...and my pathetic 55mm range of the Kit lens, it was mission-failure-impossible.

i'm not even sure what is the buffer of G2, but i can fire definitely >10shots in 2+fps.

Thinking of selling my 15mth G2, anyone wanan offer? HIGH BURST SHOOTING MODE!
    Last edited by di0nysus; 15th March 2004 at 04:06 PM.

The link is dead.... anyway 55mm shoot aerial display?? Wah... u quite brave hor..... u need very fast cam as well to track the jet, so the continuous AF has to be very fast....

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    The link is dead.... anyway 55mm shoot aerial display?? Wah... u quite brave hor..... u need very fast cam as well to track the jet, so the continuous AF has to be very fast....
    dun have any other lens, besides a 50mm prime. i used single AF point, center pointl or, just aim, 'log on', recompose, then fire! but alwiz nver get to shoot the plane down.

A pathetic shot of F15, with 100% crop as insert

Well not bad already lar..... it's equipment that is holding u back it seems.... but then AAS only comes every 2 years? So got to consider carefully if u want to invest in a telephoto (Like a 100-400 or 70-300 type)

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus
    I totally concur with you. Yes, the actual speed depends on BOTH the card and the camera. I just got a toshiba 512mb, cheapo/no-speed one. i suppose it's 20-25X. I use it for my 300D. Used to use ridaate 16X 128mb for G2. Which is pretty slow, if i write a RAW file, 2+mb? on G2, it'll take at least 4secs before i can take another shot, if i use the toshiba, i see 'busy' for <1sec before i can snap again.

On the 300D, the buffer can only take 4 shots, the writing speed ain't that fast either, so heck, no-brand low speed CF is enough. Most impt thing is i can take a shot, if i wanna snap v fast again, i'll just trigger the shutter again. If u KS, leave the cam in burst mode, and leave your finger on the shutter etc etc.

I'd like to do sequence shots of rollerblading, like
    can this can only be done with G2 or 10D etc. 300D booboo...tried to snap aeroplane at AAS2004, with 4frame buffer,...and my pathetic 55mm range of the Kit lens, it was mission-failure-impossible.

i'm not even sure what is the buffer of G2, but i can fire definitely >10shots in 2+fps.

Thinking of selling my 15mth G2, anyone wanan offer? HIGH BURST SHOOTING MODE!

How did u do the squence shot? Multiple exposure mode with camera on tripod?

i bought my 1gb ridata from u.s. at USD239.99 all my ridatas serve me well

i find the price better than local's :-

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.n...LOlQzNp65In0__

i bought my transcend 1gb 30x for SGD$350 some time ago :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Bought SanDisk Ultra 256MB for $230 about a year ago and SanDisk Ultra 512MB for S$290 about five months ago and there are used on both my Fuji S1 and S2.

Recording is pretty fast when I should at 6MB and above resolution.

Furthermore, I have been using them for data transfer for my work via card reader and PCMCIA.

Never had a problem in any sort ... if this answer the question of reliability.

If this is the choice, suggest purchase the ULTRA instead of the normal as ultimately the recording speed is needed when situation arises (surprisingly often!).

I agreed with Jay !!!

Quote Originally Posted by zodnm
    i bought my transcend 1gb 30x for SGD$350 some time ago :P
    That's a good price. Where did you get from?

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    How did u do the squence shot? Multiple exposure mode with camera on tripod?
    Hand held G2 with high burst continuous mode. 2.2fps. can take 10+++ frames at a go. stitch with...canon stitch utility.

mite wanna sell my G2, interested? hee

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    That's a good price. Where did you get from?
    from some guy in cs months ago... haha

but think price rise laioz

btw, tt cf card is 1st hand

[QUOTE=di0nysus]I totally concur with you. Yes, the actual speed depends on BOTH the card and the camera. I just got a toshiba 512mb, cheapo/no-speed one. i suppose it's 20-25X. I use it for my 300D. Used to use ridaate 16X 128mb for G2. Which is pretty slow, if i write a RAW file, 2+mb? on G2, it'll take at least 4secs before i can take another shot, if i use the toshiba, i see 'busy' for <1sec before i can snap again.

QUOTE]

Hi, how much you bought the Toshiba 512MB? thnx

Just got a Pretec 48x 1GB at $392 with lifetime warranty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123