View Poll Results: Which Brand Of Compact Flash Cards is The Best??

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ridata

35 20.23%
  • SanDisk

49 28.32%
  • Lexar

37 21.39%
  • Kingston

6 3.47%
  • Transcend

39 22.54%
  • Viking

0 0%
  • Crucial

0 0%
  • Others

7 4.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Brand Of Compact Flash Is Good???

Originally posted by Jay
    Bought SanDisk Ultra 256MB for $230 about a year ago and SanDisk Ultra 512MB for S$290 about five months ago and there are used on both my Fuji S1 and S2.

Recording is pretty fast when I should at 6MB and above resolution.

Furthermore, I have been using them for data transfer for my work via card reader and PCMCIA.

Never had a problem in any sort ... if this answer the question of reliability.

If this is the choice, suggest purchase the ULTRA instead of the normal as ultimately the recording speed is needed when situation arises (surprisingly often!).
    The Sandisk Ultra is still pretty slow (I think 20x or 25x) compared to the Transcend 30x.

I have been using Transcend CF for some time, quite good, I would have liked a Lexar but it is difficult to get in Singapore (must order online) and quite expensive (CF + shipping).

Besides the 'WA' (Write Acceleration) on the Lexar only works on certain cameras like Nikon (Canon, Fujifilm DSLRs cannot)

For Ridata, heard it's good but rumors of compatibilty with certain devices like X-drive 2 (dunno if true) makes me go back to Transcend.

A 1GB Transcend will cost abt $400 and a 512Mb abt $200. Prices are expected to RISE in a few weeks or a month due to low shortage of memory chips (according to souces)

Don't worry, it's seasonal, like DDR-RAM chips in SLS, their prices will spike in certain months due to short fall in production or high demand and will return to normal a few months later.
    Last edited by Winston; 22nd July 2003 at 10:42 AM.

Sim Lim is selling the IBM/Hitachi microdrive 1GB at $288 and kingston 512 at $198.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Bought SanDisk Ultra 256MB for $230 about a year ago and SanDisk Ultra 512MB for S$290 about five months ago and there are used on both my Fuji S1 and S2.

Recording is pretty fast when I should at 6MB and above resolution.

Furthermore, I have been using them for data transfer for my work via card reader and PCMCIA.

Never had a problem in any sort ... if this answer the question of reliability.

If this is the choice, suggest purchase the ULTRA instead of the normal as ultimately the recording speed is needed when situation arises (surprisingly often!).
    unless ur camera is DSLR, or else... the speed will not be a issue...

Heard from a expert(photographer)..... when I'm buying my 1st DC.. A80..
    At 1st, he told me Ultra II is good, but when the shop assistant tell him, I'm getting a A80. He say.. then get a normal one will do.

Brought Sandsik 256MB @ $115.
    Ultra II 512MB @ $270 (over heard )

Wink

May I know how to consider a CF card to be good leh?
    I uses NCP card make by hitachi on both canon ixus 330 and nikon CP 995...doesnt seem to have any problems loh
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

read/write speed, reliability and compaibility.

Why does CF speed matter on a dSLR? i would think it mattered more on a digicam.

On a dSLR (at least on mine), there are buffers which are much faster than the card. You'd NEVER notice the speed of your CF card unless you actually hit the buffer limit, and this rarely happens, except for maybe the 300D and 1D. For most of us, we don't trigger at that rate. In my 6 months of 10D usage, i've only hit full buffer once, during a fashion shoot.
    Last edited by ST1100; 6th December 2003 at 08:56 AM.

We've been using a Sandisk 1GB, Transcend 1GB and now a pair of Hagiwara 1GBs. Among all, I have to say that the SanDisk is the slowest (also the cheapest 1GB coz it's a non-ultra). Transcends and Hagis seem to be on par in terms of speed.

For 512s, we've got the Ridata, Transcend and Sandisk Ultra. Must say that the Transcend outperforms both in speed and the Ridata's a little picky on CF Card readers (6-in-1 type).

That's all I have to contribute I'm afraid.
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

i use sandisk ultra 512 and they are great. but its touted that lexar wa is really good too...

for best performance, especially if you use the card to store other data, format it before shooting.

I started off with a Nikon Coolpix 4300 coupled with a TwinMos 256MB CF Card. When i bought my 300D, i went back to TwinMos and bought two 512MB CF Cards. Works all the time, everytime. Been using the same stuff for about 1yr already. TwinMos has promotions which can be purchased from their head office. I for one don't give much thought about speed. As long as i can reliably use the CF Cards at an acceptable speed, i won't upgrade. Anybody wanna try these cards, just let me know. Maybe we meet up the next time there's something going down eh?

TwinMOS Technologies (S) Pte Ltd.
    175A Bencoolen Street
    No. 05-09/10/11, Burlington Square
    Singapore 189650
    Tel:+65-6337-7818

December Promotion

I use Transcend 30x on both my Oly and DSLR. Reliable and good warranty coverage.

Have you guys tried the new Hagiwara CFxxx-Zpro ?

It's a new high speed card which promise to be faster than Lexar WA series card.

Quote Originally Posted by PLRBEAR
    I started off with a Nikon Coolpix 4300 coupled with a TwinMos 256MB CF Card. When i bought my 300D, i went back to TwinMos and bought two 512MB CF Cards. Works all the time, everytime. Been using the same stuff for about 1yr already. TwinMos has promotions which can be purchased from their head office. I for one don't give much thought about speed. As long as i can reliably use the CF Cards at an acceptable speed, i won't upgrade. Anybody wanna try these cards, just let me know. Maybe we meet up the next time there's something going down eh?

TwinMOS Technologies (S) Pte Ltd.
    175A Bencoolen Street
    No. 05-09/10/11, Burlington Square
    Singapore 189650
    Tel:+65-6337-7818

December Promotion
    happen to be there on saturday to service my 2 bar of ram... den nothing 2 do the guy pass me the catalog.

TwinMos boast a 52x CF speed. wonder how true is that.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesJr
    Have you guys tried the new Hagiwara CFxxx-Zpro ?

It's a new high speed card which promise to be faster than Lexar WA series card.
    Any performance data ? How does it compare to the new Sandisk Ultra II which claims a write speed of 60X (9MB/s) ?

OT a bit here: How much would a 1gb CF card be? Can someone list it out by brand and price? Thanks.

as i'm reading through this thread...I noticed that some of you guys use the CF card as a data storage medium...do you need a writer to perform that write function?...can my normal 6-in-1 card reader do a write on my CF card?...heh...don't dare to try...dowan to screw my CF 512 Transcend man...

Deregistered

1GB Transcend 45x - $450
    1GB Lexar 40x - $498

kelster: just plug in the reader and use as per normal treat it like a removable disk.

As far as I'm concerned, digital film (CF/SD, etc) is really vulnurable. You could literally have hundreds of images lost in one fell swoop. Therefore I'd only consider the more reputable brands like Lexar, SanDisk or Kingston. There're a multitude of funky brand cards out there, but I'd never touch them with a 10-foot pole.

And going against the trend of mega-capacity cards, I'd still prefer to keep them small. I feel a lot more secure with 4x256MB rather than a single 1.0GB card.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default card speed.

I reckon CF card's write speed depend on the camera/card combi. For example, If A brand is faster than B brand on Nikon, but B bracd could be faster than A brand in Canon.

Read about it here, http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    1GB Transcend 45x - $450
    1GB Lexar 40x - $498

kelster: just plug in the reader and use as per normal treat it like a removable disk.
    Hmm...might try it out later...thnx espn...

louis
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnievinyl
    I reckon CF card's write speed depend on the camera/card combi. For example, If A brand is faster than B brand on Nikon, but B bracd could be faster than A brand in Canon
    i fully agree with you on this.
    after i switch camera noticed the lag.
    my lexar4X do faster compared to my sandisk20X.don't know why.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast