Thread: diffuser for portrait shoots,need advice

Default diffuser for portrait shoots,need advice

i had been using flash bracket and direct flash last time.but dued to the extra weight n fragile of the bracket,its off from my camera now.
    I like shoting portrait shots but was always getting shadows on the side even with bounce light,sometimes uneven light on the face of the people.
    I did tried light spheres years back,now come the new whale tail,is it better or almost the same?Can it be used as direct flash n when shooting portrait will there be shadows?????n also if the subject is so near a backdrop,there should bbe some shadows as its not directly on top of the lens right,make more sense?pls advice.
    http://store.garyfonginc.com/wt2.html
    is it as good as it claims?the same result with the flash bracket?
    apoligised if my english is poor.
    Pls advice

Default Re: diffuser for portrait shoots,need advice

Get rid of shadows on the background totally? Blast the background with 2 or more lights.

Want nice lighting on the face? Don't use camera mounted flash.

vince123123
    Guests

If your problem is shadows on the side, then the flash flip bracket is the way to go, not the diffusion devices, which does a different function. A single flash with a flip bracket positioned correctly will solve your side shadow problem.

A full bounce on the ceiling will also eliminate the problem; WITHOUT using any diffusion device. A diffusion device would create the shadows because of a segment of light being thrown forward.

Quote Originally Posted by studiolabmaster View Post
    i had been using flash bracket and direct flash last time.but dued to the extra weight n fragile of the bracket,its off from my camera now.
    I like shoting portrait shots but was always getting shadows on the side even with bounce light,sometimes uneven light on the face of the people.
    I did tried light spheres years back,now come the new whale tail,is it better or almost the same?Can it be used as direct flash n when shooting portrait will there be shadows?????n also if the subject is so near a backdrop,there should bbe some shadows as its not directly on top of the lens right,make more sense?pls advice.
    http://store.garyfonginc.com/wt2.html
    is it as good as it claims?the same result with the flash bracket?
    apoligised if my english is poor.
    Pls advice

Blog Entries

can also bounce on the wall for side light

can bounce on own oily forehead too... works well for me....

Quote Originally Posted by STEV View Post
    can bounce on own oily forehead too... works well for me....

....funny lah bro.