Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I remember when "______" was being built/torn down

Default Re: I remember when "______" was being built/torn down

I remember my first PC 8088 , and the sales guy teach me this command "DIR". He say this is the most powerful command that I need to know. I move on to "Format" next day on my only OS disk. I remember the 5 inch diskette which I love to swap on the house fly, it was effective.

I remember cab use to be shared by strangers (pool) and my frequent trip to Yaohan .

I remember sg used to be more lively especially at the old chinatown (alot of wet market and samsui women and good food) , instead of the current "tourist" commercialize town.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    I remember my first PC 8088 , and the sales guy teach me this command "DIR". He say this is the most powerful command that I need to know. I move on to "Format" next day on my only OS disk. I remember the 5 inch diskette which I love to swap on the house fly, it was effective.

I remember cab use to be shared by strangers (pool) and my frequent trip to Yaohan .

I remember sg used to be more lively especially at the old chinatown (alot of wet market and samsui women and good food) , instead of the current "tourist" commercialize town.
    Mine was duno those monochrome ones, used to play the game Taipan on it, then came a computer called Cubic99, it can actually pronounce words(through pc speaker) u type in the prompt...gimmick.

yah the chinatown now sucks badly...those shops, most sell the same things, and they ignore locals or rude to them, and when they see angmohs they start cooing for business. So boring... sometimes i get rude stares when they see me taknig photos with a camera.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Mine was duno those monochrome ones, used to play the game Taipan on it, then came a computer called Cubic99, it can actually pronounce words(through pc speaker) u type in the prompt...gimmick.

yah the chinatown now sucks badly...those shops, most sell the same things, and they ignore locals or rude to them, and when they see angmohs they start cooing for business. So boring... sometimes i get rude stares when they see me taknig photos with a camera.
    Taipan, i remember it .. haha.. I move on to this race game call "Death track" and "alley cat"

I use to have a monochrome monitor, then upgrade to a CGA monitor (the memory was upgrade to a "huge" 640 kb RAM)....

Actually not only china town, many parts of sg were tored down with the memories. If we go back slightly further, we can talk about those riots / independence day . And the many kampongs in different parts of the towns.

I remember staying in my granny farm in Bukit Panjang. It was tore down soon after for building an expressway.

Well, we have to progress ... times have change (who knows , we may not recognise sg as it is now in 30 yrs time? )

Taipan, i remember it .. haha.. I move on to this race game call "Death track" and "alley cat"

Well, we have to progress ... times have change (who knows , we may not recognise sg as it is now in 30 yrs time? )
    alleycat yes yes! hahaha engrossing!

yah....singapore is progressing very fast, things get forgotten very fast too. hehe
    One-North Explorers

I remember when there was a chicken rice franchise called Big Rooster (IIRC, at the top of parkway parade), i can finished two adult portions in one sitting by the time I reached primary school.
    Last edited by ahbian; 6th October 2007 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I remember when there was a chicken rice franchise called Big Rooster (IIRC, at the top of parkway parade), i finished two adult portions by the time I reached primary school.
    Haha! I remember Big Rooster at Upper Serangoon Shopping Centre! Back in the mid-80s, that was one of the coolest places to hang out at Hougang. Anchor tenant was Oriental Emporium!

Ha, I remember the first PC my dad bought. Cost about $4k. A PC-AT with 1024KB or RAM. It was MAJOR, man! It was wayyy faster than the XTs most everybody else had! Spyhunter was my fave game. Could fit onto one of those new "high-end" storage format, the 5 1/4" double-sided high density floppy disks - 1.2MB!!! Whoa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For me, I remember my happy days at my playground. Just a simple swing, merry-go-round, and a see-saw. Much better than those completed playgrounds with no children that we see today.
    I remember when the playground under my flat was sourrounded by sand before it was torn down for a rubberized version. No wonder kids can't play marbles nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I remember when the playground under my flat was sourrounded by sand before it was torn down for a rubberized version. No wonder kids can't play marbles nowadays.
    yeah, no more marbles. no to mention zero point and 5 stone.

How abt the A&W over the big longkang along Bukit Timah rd? Not to mention, the huge frosty root beer glass jugs topped with ice cream

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I remembered the A&W joint in one of those shophouses behind Cathay. My aunts went on dates with my uncles and I tagged along Somehow, I remembered that one and am very fond of it.

I remember the old KK. I remember the KFC there which used to serve meals on real plates. I remember the Doremi restaurant on top of Plaza Singapura. I remember when Hotel New World collapsed. I remember eating satay at the old satay club. I remember eating prawn noodles and poh piah at the whitley flyover hawker centre. I remember waiting for cedar girls at toa payoh bus interchange.

How about Toa Payoh Hospital, gone totally gone now work site for Thomson MRT (circle line).
    Changi Airbase for the now Changi airport, still remember visiting and saw the 2nd hand A4 skyhawk with bullet holes.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Haha! I remember Big Rooster at Upper Serangoon Shopping Centre! Back in the mid-80s, that was one of the coolest places to hang out at Hougang. Anchor tenant was Oriental Emporium!
    i ate regularly at the one in holland v! hehe

and yah those playgrounds...damn sad...now all foam/rubber type...laoyah....sand one is better.
    One-North Explorers

Why did the TS start a thread like that? It just brings tears to my eyes that many parts of my childhood have gone down like there was an earthquake, even though there are no earthquakes in Singapore.

The first drop of tears came out when someone mentioned the Red Sea Aquarium that was next to Cathay Cinema towards Peace Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    Why did the TS start a thread like that? It just brings tears to my eyes that many parts of my childhood have gone down like there was an earthquake, even though there are no earthquakes in Singapore.

The first drop of tears came out when someone mentioned the Red Sea Aquarium that was next to Cathay Cinema towards Peace Centre.
    i think its still there....juz a little smaller now.
    One-North Explorers

One of the best thing I ever did was to ask my uncle before he passed away.. where exactly was I born? during the 60's KK was not popular.. all my siblings were born at home with engaged mid-wives. My birth certificate shows Jalan Ketola. My uncle on my mother's side was in construction and he told me it was now the PIE Intersection with Jalan Eunos.

Sometimes, it is good to know these things. Now everytime I pass this place which is often enough, it gives me a good feeling just knowing about my birth place. I wouldn't say nostalgic as I cannot remember anything about the place but knowing is good thing.

../azul123

what abt van kleef aquarium? that place rocked!

Sorry OT a bit, but nonetheless it jolt back some memories.
    I remember:
    hantam bola, gasing, guli, five stones.

I remember playing soccer with home made jersey's barefoot, mine was no. 9 Steve Heighway "Liverpool".

I remember I had pastic school shoes once, because I was lazy washing my canvas shoes, but it was only once as plastic ones were as bad.

I remember a Primary school mate's brother drowned while playing in a pond near school, I remember the names of all my Primary School teachers, but only their surnames, I wonder if they are still alive. Now I wonder how can I start a search for them?

I remember many things now.. and thank you TS.

../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 6th October 2007 at 10:58 AM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I remembered the A&W joint in one of those shophouses behind Cathay. My aunts went on dates with my uncles and I tagged along Somehow, I remembered that one and am very fond of it.
    "auntS and UncleS" You use plural. i wondered how many relatives' dates you tagged along. Eh they were supposed to babysit you and brought you along?

Quote Originally Posted by mojopy View Post
    The marine parade library (where i always go there to watch LDs and play cd-rom games).
    The marine parade community centre.
    The old holy family church at east coast road.
    my primary school (now finished PRIME already)
    The toy'R'us store at parkway.
    Marine parade Library was not torn down. it is the current NTUC.

Toy'R'us is at the building where Yamaha is? Still standing there since the late 70's or early 80's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast