View Poll Results: How much do you charge per hour?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is still so high it will scare you

9 9.38%
  • 900-999

8 8.33%
  • 800-899

6 6.25%
  • 700-799

2 2.08%
  • 600-699

4 4.17%
  • 500-599

6 6.25%
  • 400-499

0 0%
  • 300-399

4 4.17%
  • 200-299

11 11.46%
  • 100-199

16 16.67%
  • 1-99

17 17.71%
  • I am still a freebie

13 13.54%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaystudio View Post
    But i do believe with this union, customers/photographers will be better educated and customers would at least have a "safer" place to look for photographers & videographers. And of course anyone could look elsewhere for cheaper service but then their risk will be greater.
    And i am sure with this, potographers' skill/quality and even service attitude will improve togather with healthier rates. And soon photographers will healthily compete with each other in terms of skills and services and not by under-cutting rates.
    Unless there's a state legislation to license the practice of photography, a union's reach is still limited by it's own resources. As mentioned, it is a issue of willing supply, and very willing demand. The deluge of the willing supply is fanned by a very low barrier to entry (ease of operating a DSLR for one, no restrictions in offering services for another).

hmm....i just want to have experience in wedding photography....always want to be part of people celebrating their one moment of happines in their lifetime...im not going into professional photographer but freelance photographer...

Service I provide is to burn into a cd with all the shots that I took....no photo editing and other services...how do I advertise this service? Anyone here allow me to tag along from them....I dont mind free of charge but provided there is transport for me to tag along and best if they provide a small ang bao as a token of appreciation...hehe...

I think I have the lens collection good enough to be a backup wedding photographer (All the lens are well kept in the dry cabinet):
    1) Canon 400D
    2) Canon 18-55 kit lens, 50mm f1.8, Canon 430EX
    3) Tamron 11 - 18mm and 18-200mm lens
    4) Sigma 70-300mm lens able to take macro shot of 1:2

In the midst of Saving money to buy to end my lens shopping spree:
    1) Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8 lens
    2) Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens

Of coz in future, I will sell my lens to upgrade to L lens perhaps.....haha...but will not be in the near future coz student here.....
    Last edited by totoro17; 25th October 2007 at 09:18 AM.
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

IMHO, letting your services out for free isn't too smart. It gives off the image that you are a average photographer that isn't worth much as many people tag pricing to quality. what if your equipment gets damaged or lost during the shoot? Who is going to repay you? How are you going to replace the equipment damaged? Lastly, if you start out so low, and give good quality, if you want to continue on in this line of work, you are just undercutting your profits and the profits of your fellow photographers. Maybe you don't feel the pinch, but they, with housing loans to pay, children to feed and the car to maintain, do.he

it is not good to do it FOC and get into the tongue of war with your "customers" later if you did not meet to their expectations.
    Canon 5D,{16-35f/2.8 II,24-70f/2.8,70-200f/2.8IS,14f/1.4,35f/1.4,50f/1.2,85f/1.2II,180f/3.5Macro}L

Quote Originally Posted by lim1974 View Post
    IMHO, letting your services out for free isn't too smart. It gives off the image that you are a average photographer that isn't worth much as many people tag pricing to quality. what if your equipment gets damaged or lost during the shoot? Who is going to repay you? How are you going to replace the equipment damaged? Lastly, if you start out so low, and give good quality, if you want to continue on in this line of work, you are just undercutting your profits and the profits of your fellow photographers. Maybe you don't feel the pinch, but they, with housing loans to pay, children to feed and the car to maintain, do.he

it is not good to do it FOC and get into the tongue of war with your "customers" later if you did not meet to their expectations.
    bro i understand your point of view.....if u see my work....only the second set is so much better because i just bought the canon 430ex external flash....it really so much difference...the picture is sharper and brighter...even though it takes me about 3 months to save $450 to buy it...i really think its well spent...nvr regret until now siah...

but my photography skills is so sucks....i dont mean to put myself down...but thats the facts of life...my framing is also so bad....i believe practise makes perfect...so in order for people to let me try...i shldnt charge people...if they appreciate my work, they give me the amount they think i deserve..newbie means newbie....its better to play safe than be arrogant saying tt ur skills r great n u charge at this pricing...

i got friends who tell me is just go round shooting around spore....to do your practise...but i tried this method but it doesnt work for me...as i feel there is no meaning or shld i put it no motivation...but if for wedding...it is something that i like...something tt i want to learn from people...how they organise the wedding etc...how is the service like....each wedding there is always different...most of the time, there is more than one photographer beside the offical photographer...i can learn from them and see how they shoot too....for me, wedding or event photography im interested in if im in singapore....if i go other countries, i will like to take landscape, scenery, places of interest...blah blah....

wat r ur comments? hope i din offend anyone...
    Last edited by totoro17; 25th October 2007 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    bro i understand your point of view.....if u see my work....only the second set is so much better because i just bought the canon 430ex external flash....it really so much difference...the picture is sharper and brighter...even though it takes me about 3 months to save $450 to buy it...i really think its well spent...nvr regret until now siah...

but my photography skills is so sucks....i dont mean to put myself down...but thats the facts of life...my framing is also so bad....i believe practise makes perfect...so in order for people to let me try...i shldnt charge people...if they appreciate my work, they give me the amount they think i deserve..newbie means newbie....its better to play safe than be arrogant saying tt ur skills r great n u charge at this pricing...

wat r ur comments? hope i din offend anyone...
    Tag along with a professional. There are many ways to do target practice and a newbie being the sole wedding photographer isn't exactly a wise thing to do.

Plus, the things like professional practice and service agreement are something that a lot tend to overlook. For example, liability, warranty, indemnity are just some of the things that can screw you up bad. Something like what happens if you were unable to capture certains scenes, or in a scenario of equipment breakdown, etc.

And speaking from personal experience, low paying clients doesn't mean their expectations are low.

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Tag along with a professional. There are many ways to do target practice and a newbie being the sole wedding photographer isn't exactly a wise thing to do.

Plus, the things like professional practice and service agreement are something that a lot tend to overlook. For example, liability, warranty, indemnity are just some of the things that can screw you up bad. Something like what happens if you were unable to capture certains scenes, or in a scenario of equipment breakdown, etc.

And speaking from personal experience, low paying clients doesn't mean their expectations are low.
    no no....u got me wrong...i dont want to be offical photographer....how can my standard be offical siah....sibei malu....haha...so embrassing....i just want to be backup photographer...just in case the offical photographer didnt manage to catch the special moment shot...at least still got me...hehe...i better change my signature to need asst wedding photographer then a FOC one...
    Last edited by totoro17; 25th October 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Just to clear so issues, no allowed of controlling prices in singapore. Meaning one cannot tell another how much to charge in order to join. It is against the law. So the Association will not set prices for ppl to join, but will encourage and guide the setting of it.

Also, main purposes is to educate the public more about weddings photography, thru exhibitions and adverisings.

Also, to create a platform for the networking and accreditation of weddings photographers both full and part time in singapore.

Simply join in the mailing list and wait for further notice and any news. The protem are working quite fast already, do allow us more time, and if u believe u can help, just PM me and i will arrange u come in the 4th meeting.

The Web address of the temporary site is http://wpas.squarespace.com
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Be it low end or high end, all are welcome.

Tell me what is low and high? By comparing on prices? Then what is photographer? If need to depends so much on PS, then what is photographer?

I am not intended to debate on this, why i bring out is to highlight the era of next wave in weddings photography, a field that evolved out of ordinary. So the Association task is also to highlight on this point.

Maybe 15 yrs later or shorter, the shoot to simply shoot is here again, and those shoot without a single DI will be the one leading the market.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

huh that means $999/hour? lol

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Just to clear so issues, no allowed of controlling prices in singapore. Meaning one cannot tell another how much to charge in order to join. It is against the law. So the Association will not set prices for ppl to join, but will encourage and guide the setting of it.

Also, main purposes is to educate the public more about weddings photography, thru exhibitions and adverisings.

Also, to create a platform for the networking and accreditation of weddings photographers both full and part time in singapore.

Simply join in the mailing list and wait for further notice and any news. The protem are working quite fast already, do allow us more time, and if u believe u can help, just PM me and i will arrange u come in the 4th meeting.

The Web address of the temporary site is http://wpas.squarespace.com
    subscribe already....

Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    From the US/European experience, we know that we will never stop people from offering cheap or free services. Even in the Sates where some photographers are commanding $25k a day or more, there are also people offering $300 or FOC services.

What we've learned from the Jose Villa workshop is that there is never anything we can do about the low end. Instead, he advised us to work together at the high end and set the benchmarks and I wholeheartedly agree.
    That's the way to go.

Thank you for all the contribution I'd let this poll run till 1 Nov 2007. And meanwhile think up of a more structured and defined poll so people don't get all confused and start polling anyhow.

Look out for the next round coming in Jan 2008. New year. New resolutions. New pricing?

Here's wishing success many many to the pro and aspiring pro. (i'm neither )

Once again, thank you all

Look out for the next demographic survey come Jan 2008.

*locked*

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345