View Poll Results: How much do you charge per hour?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is still so high it will scare you

    9 9.38%
  • 900-999

    8 8.33%
  • 800-899

    6 6.25%
  • 700-799

    2 2.08%
  • 600-699

    4 4.17%
  • 500-599

    6 6.25%
  • 400-499

    0 0%
  • 300-399

    4 4.17%
  • 200-299

    11 11.46%
  • 100-199

    16 16.67%
  • 1-99

    17 17.71%
  • I am still a freebie

    13 13.54%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 93

Thread: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    Actually I believe the rates. People like Chris Ling and Andrew Choi are quoting in excess of 10k on their websites, so it seems very plausible that hourly rates can break the 1k mark. Hoping to do so as well by end of year.
    The way they do it is not to break it down into hourly rates, but charge a package price.

    For example, a photographer can have an undisclosed rate of $300 an hour, but still able to charge as high as $10k for a whole wedding. This also ensures that you sell your albums as well because it's part of the 'package'.

    For myself, I find it so much easier to charge a lot higher now with packages or total solutions, vs breaking it down into rates. And the best part is, I don't bang my head on the wall when i could have made twice as much if someone with a 12-hour job tries to book you on the day when you've already been booked for a 6-hour job.

    Just my $0.02

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Ha, one got the cheek to give S$60 for a whole day, including dinner tables! Had to double-up as driver (with own veh) too!

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    heck... my frens think me charging them a mere $200 for the entire day is expensive.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    The way they do it is not to break it down into hourly rates, but charge a package price.

    For example, a photographer can have an undisclosed rate of $300 an hour, but still able to charge as high as $10k for a whole wedding. This also ensures that you sell your albums as well because it's part of the 'package'.

    For myself, I find it so much easier to charge a lot higher now with packages or total solutions, vs breaking it down into rates. And the best part is, I don't bang my head on the wall when i could have made twice as much if someone with a 12-hour job tries to book you on the day when you've already been booked for a 6-hour job.

    Just my $0.02
    Thanks for sharing. It's definitely food for thought. Instead of just seeing jaw drops and disbeliefs at high prices, it's great to see creative ideas on pricing strategies.

    To build on your idea, I was brainstorming on your "total solutions" idea for pre-weddings. Assuming that we have a 2 hour session with 2 albums, it's pretty easy to price it at 5 grand. Less cost and production of albums, perhaps gown rental as well, it's easily 1k per hour. But we're not going to tell the clients that aren't we?

    Now to think of something for AD as well...

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It's definitely food for thought. Instead of just seeing jaw drops and disbeliefs at high prices, it's great to see creative ideas on pricing strategies.

    To build on your idea, I was brainstorming on your "total solutions" idea for pre-weddings. Assuming that we have a 2 hour session with 2 albums, it's pretty easy to price it at 5 grand. Less cost and production of albums, perhaps gown rental as well, it's easily 1k per hour. But we're not going to tell the clients that aren't we?

    Now to think of something for AD as well...
    Had a chance to speak to some of the photographers in melbourne when I was there, hourly rates there are almost unheard of, unless it's an overtime charge.

    Just met a couple who's having a banquet at one of the 6-stars hotel in Singapore, and they're spending close to $80k just on that. So what's 7k on photography, which is a small fraction of their total budget?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Had a chance to speak to some of the photographers in melbourne when I was there, hourly rates there are almost unheard of, unless it's an overtime charge.

    Just met a couple who's having a banquet at one of the 6-stars hotel in Singapore, and they're spending close to $80k just on that. So what's 7k on photography, which is a small fraction of their total budget?
    That's nice. Close to 10% of budget goes to photography. Here in SG, some folks spend less than 1% on photography.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It's definitely food for thought. Instead of just seeing jaw drops and disbeliefs at high prices, it's great to see creative ideas on pricing strategies.

    To build on your idea, I was brainstorming on your "total solutions" idea for pre-weddings. Assuming that we have a 2 hour session with 2 albums, it's pretty easy to price it at 5 grand. Less cost and production of albums, perhaps gown rental as well, it's easily 1k per hour. But we're not going to tell the clients that aren't we?

    Now to think of something for AD as well...
    Personally I see things differently. For myself, I like charging by the hour and breaking things down because if I want to make say $X for a day of work (or whatever amount one sets for him/herself), it's easier for me to just charge that $X amount upfront and if I sell albums or whatever other gizmos and gadgets, it's just bonus income.

    Never really went down the package route because firstly it doesn't quite fit my personality. Just seems like there are too many details to have to cater to on a constant basis. And generally for my clients (and the operative words here being "my clients"), enjoy not having to fiddle around with packages. They see, they like, they buy. Done deal. None of the "can we trade 2 of this for 4 of that" which is really tedious for all parties involved. Also, all my clients have such varied needs, some form no album to some wanting 3 or 4 albums from their wedding day. Not really sure how to cater to these wide variations in a package system.

    Just thought I would add a different perspective to it all.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post
    If you want to come along to shoot just PM..
    Alright thanks!



    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    heh... wat if i tell u most of my frens expect me to shoot for free cos we are frens?

    thank god i dun have to earn my bread fm shooting... which is why i really respect people who do.
    Well, you're not alone

  8. #28

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    Personally I see things differently. For myself, I like charging by the hour and breaking things down because if I want to make say $X for a day of work (or whatever amount one sets for him/herself), it's easier for me to just charge that $X amount upfront and if I sell albums or whatever other gizmos and gadgets, it's just bonus income.

    Never really went down the package route because firstly it doesn't quite fit my personality. Just seems like there are too many details to have to cater to on a constant basis. And generally for my clients (and the operative words here being "my clients"), enjoy not having to fiddle around with packages. They see, they like, they buy. Done deal. None of the "can we trade 2 of this for 4 of that" which is really tedious for all parties involved. Also, all my clients have such varied needs, some form no album to some wanting 3 or 4 albums from their wedding day. Not really sure how to cater to these wide variations in a package system.

    Just thought I would add a different perspective to it all.
    Bouncing off ideas is constructive. And different perspective adds spice through variety.

    I agree with you to some extent. To be honest, I'm still trying to find an equilibrium in pricing. Some actually like the per hour structure/a-la carte system I'm having right now. At the same time, there are also quite a number who wants the decisions to be made for them.

    Having said that, the hourly/ala carte system helped me land a couple of clients who would otherwise find the bundle unaffordable. So being able to take them apart allows them to spend on what they can afford, i.e. the hourly service fee where they spend on the coverage they need. Many of them ended up extending the hours, so more business there.

    Maybe I'll experiment with the package deal for pre-weds/engagement shoots.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    That's nice. Close to 10% of budget goes to photography. Here in SG, some folks spend less than 1% on photography.
    Every couple will have a budget and if the other service providers can convince the couples to allocate more budget for their services, then it's really up to the photographer now to educate and convince the couple why it shouldn't be 1%.

    End of the day, many photographers are fighting among each other so much, (in most cases by trying to under-cut each other) without realising who their REAL competitors are. To give you an example, a makeup artist can charge between $388 to $1200 to do makeup and hair for 1-2 hours. Aren't their rates sky high in comparison to a photographer who works for 10 hours. Plus, when their job is done, it's DONE - they don't have to do any post-processing or print 300 X 4R pictures, or deal with clients who ask for rebate because you didn't take the photo of their grandmother's niece's son-in-law.

    What's worst is that folks who spend less than 1% on photography probably won't appreciate your work to begin with

  10. #30
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    I personally think that how much you charge on an Ad wedding or a pre shoot.

    Depending on the total cost of your adviseting on the magazine and internet, rented of your shop, bill of your transport, the hours you spend to DI your photo, camera equipment, the cost to print the photo and album. The most important thing are you a full-time photography or a free-lancer photography.

    Just like to ask, some of the top wedding photographer here, how you base on your rate. Are you photography worst 1k per hour or you just rob them.

    Just my 2 cent comment..
    Last edited by nicholas68; 2nd October 2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: text

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post

    Just like to ask, some of the top wedding photographer here, how you base on your rate. Are you photography worst 1k per hour or you just rob them.

    Just my 2 cent comment..
    Gosh, i think "rob" is a pretty strong word considering that no one's holding a gun to their heads and making them buy wedding photography.

    I think if the wedding photography businesses operated solely on meeting costs without making a profit, the industry would probably suffer from a dearth of talent and eventually die off.

    One strange aspect I find here in the clubsnap forums is that so many photographers aspire to be paid better (i mean who doesn't right?), but yet when another photographer does command high rates, that person is seen to be evil and "robbing" clients. I think we need to make up our minds and decide if we're in the business for profit or not.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    All jobs are about making profit... Driven by a system of supply and demand. So yeah.

    Even if they are "robbed" so to speak, they also willingly let themselves be.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post
    Just like to ask, some of the top wedding photographer here, how you base on your rate. Are you photography worst 1k per hour or you just rob them.

    Just my 2 cent comment..
    I'm not a top photographer. But I do know the answer. If I do charge $1000/hr, I will know my photography is worth $1000/hr if I can consistently book clients at $1000/hr.

    And I also feel that 'rob' is a very strong word to use.

  14. #34
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post
    I personally think that how much you charge on an Ad wedding or a pre shoot.

    Depending on the total cost of your adviseting on the magazine and internet, rented of your shop, bill of your transport, the hours you spend to DI your photo, camera equipment, the cost to print the photo and album. The most important thing are you a full-time photography or a free-lancer photography.

    Just like to ask, some of the top wedding photographer here, how you base on your rate. Are you photography worst 1k per hour or you just rob them.

    Just my 2 cent comment..
    Sorry about the word rob. My England not so good..

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    No worries. Now that we are clear. Move on

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station B1-48.
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Hi Nic,

    Think big and you'll find a way to grow big, think rich and grow rich too (buying big sweep is a way too). You'll find a way to get rich clients or prospects that can appreciate your worth. If you're asking for $888 package and market yourself as "value for money" professional, a prospect with a $5K or $10K budget would not even take a look at how creative or great your portfolio is.

    To be positioned as a premium photographer, you would need:
    1) A track record of good works
    2) A list of happy and satisfied clients that are singing praises in forums and amongst friends
    3) A good marketing network
    4) Clients that is willing to pay.

    There will be many out there that can add on to the “must have” list, but it starts with the photographer whom decides to charge right first.
    just1book, no kidding!

  17. #37

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    I'm not a top photographer. But I do know the answer. If I do charge $1000/hr, I will know my photography is worth $1000/hr if I can consistently book clients at $1000/hr.

    And I also feel that 'rob' is a very strong word to use.
    The price serves to segregate your customers too. When you command a higher pay rate, your customers will be of a different 'class'. Those that are on 'budget' will just avoid you totally.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    Gosh, i think "rob" is a pretty strong word considering that no one's holding a gun to their heads and making them buy wedding photography.

    I think if the wedding photography businesses operated solely on meeting costs without making a profit, the industry would probably suffer from a dearth of talent and eventually die off.

    One strange aspect I find here in the clubsnap forums is that so many photographers aspire to be paid better (i mean who doesn't right?), but yet when another photographer does command high rates, that person is seen to be evil and "robbing" clients. I think we need to make up our minds and decide if we're in the business for profit or not.
    Some holding an "invisible gun"

    Profit? It's up to individual again as everyone of us has different expectations. IT just about contentment.

    Ya, many photographers are aspired to be paid better but not when they need to pay someone else.

    Anyone can sell at any prices, there is no low or high to me. All of you has your own audiences. Photos are "incomparable", each is a beauty of it own. If someone love your work, price is not an issues.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Winsonapm View Post

    3) A good marketing network
    This is all you need to do business. How you marketing yourself.

    too bad that i never good at that. That why mostly i can only shoot for free. . . .
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  20. #40

    Default Re: Wedding Photography - How much do you charge? Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    heck... my frens think me charging them a mere $200 for the entire day is expensive.
    Can't buy anything at 9Frames with $200. to rent the gears would have set us back at least $400-500 per shoot.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 2nd October 2007 at 07:51 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •