Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90

Thread: taking up photography to take snapshots?

  1. #1

    Default taking up photography to take snapshots?

    i know jeanie started something up like this with regards to P&P in the past

    the other day i gave constructive critique on someone's landscape shots and i got a very negative attitude, was told that my thoughts were underexposed, that was fine

    then when i reiterated my reasons for the critique the ts just threw a huff, locked his thread and stressed that if he wanted critique he would have posted in the critique corner (or rather, words to that effect)

    so my question to one and all:
    1) do you take up photography to shoot better shots that you can be proud of, or do you just take it so that you can have cleaner pictures using a dslr without noise? if the horizons are tilted, the shots are overexposed with bad composition which does not interest the viewer at all, what is the purpose? granted you have the choice to do whatever you want, but this is a photographic forums, my idea is that most members here would want to improve in their photography, and whenever i post up MY pictures, i wish people would be brutal

    sharing a first experience here when i first joined i provided critique for many people's pictures based on my very mediocre understanding of composition etc

    then omg, when i posted up my first thread of a night shootout at city hall one person gave me comments that he expected better from me

    at first i was pissed, fed up, felt like giving a nasty reply
    then i thought about it, looked at my pictures and realised that i had overglorified them in our own mind

    i'm very disturbed
    recently there have been many comments with regards to cs embracing a lower standard of quality - that the pictures here are "trash" i don't know about you guys, i think there are many brilliant photographers here though

    but i do have a sense of pride as a member of this community, as the mods like to put it, and i would like cs to have a better name

    so endeth the random musing rant

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    now you start to see the problem

    that is what we get with all this

    "wah pro shot" kind of comments
    no one will improve

    so just do your part and be happy, normally i will post and not return

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    2 words - why bother?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    People only like to hear nice things and not everyone here likes their photos to be critique... Some ppl just want to expect good comments like good job, bro etc.
    Clear Vision, Swift Action, Good Results.
    imouyang.multiply.com/photos

  5. #5

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    now you start to see the problem

    that is what we get with all this

    "wah pro shot" kind of comments
    no one will improve

    so just do your part and be happy, normally i will post and not return
    while i suppose anyone would be happy to hear such stuff sometimes
    i guess self-critique is important first and foremost
    there is something to learn from everyone, their "vision" which can be shared, whether they are good at photography or not, is important to me

    sure, some will say they shoot for themselves, why bother what people think of their shots
    but if you create art that only YOU yourself can appreciate, what is the use of it all?
    given a choice between

    a) art only i can appreciate
    b) art only everyone else but me can appreciate
    c) art that both me and everyone can appreciate

    i know which option i'd choose

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    art is subjective.



    and if its for sharing purposes only, perhaps T.S should state it so in the 1st post.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  7. #7

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    at least people comment on your pics.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    photography is all about the experience, both by the photographer in shooting, and the viewer from viewing. Everyone has a different unique experience in this hobby, be it pictures or snapshots, there's no boundary drawn, because whatever that doesnt appeal to you, may appeal to some, due to different levels of preferences, perspectives, experience, interpretations, background, and other relevant past experiences.

    everyone has his/her right to show what he/she thinks is worthy of showing, but its not appropriate to put others down just because one doesnt feel that the work is worthy of being seen at all. after all.. sometimes someone's hardwork can be seen as trash to others as well, just like how a boss can take a 30 second glance at a piece of work that someone had spent two weeks on.

    there are other people who shoot good pictures, and are quite uptight abt it, there are other people who shoot bad shots, and are pretty proud of it too. there are others, who dont shoot, but talk all day!.. just so many facets here..

    if you ever have taken a work-psychology course when you are part of human resource, or in a job having to manage people at a higher level, there's a full lesson on giving feedback, most people arnt good at giving feedback anyways. Feedback must never put someone down, but at the same time, must encourage, and must be put in a way that the receiver can interprete, and has to be given in a sense of Goodwill, of which many people lack this. etc etc..

    i came to this forum to share, and to help people learn, leveraging from my meagre experience of shooting for a few short years, and various other equipments that i have used before etc. And that is the same mentality i adopt when it comes to non-equipment discussion, i.e. in pictures, i believe i helping the shooter improve if i see somewhere i know i can contribute to make the picture better. telling someone.. hey.. this is s#$t!.. or #$%#@!@.. leads them no where, and one might have just wasted a few calories typing.

    CS will be a much better place if everyone wasnt that clique-ish. people of the same clique will always praise each other's photos maybe? i dont know. havent been reading too much into other people's comments.

    if you want high quality photos, there are many galleries online, pbase, flickr, stock photos etc.. CS is nothing but a forum, with a gallery subset. most of the discussion here unfortunately is more on the equipment and how passionate everyone can be in defending the brand that gives them their preferred shooting experience.



    you are one smart individual, we both have the same alma-mater, except that i'm older. you could probably be a govt scholar too, furthering your studies overseas. take CS as a "model" system, a place that will be similar to that of real working life in the future, or in a political environment, or even in a position of power, when dealing with people, be it good people or bad people, its not easy to be hard handed, one has to be careful when it comes to voicing out, and speaking on issues as well.
    chezburgr i can haz?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    .. i think there are many brilliant photographers here though.
    Like who?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    taking up photography to take snapshots?
    Why not if it makes a photographer happy?

    Every shot I take I have to snap it.

  11. #11
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    at least people comment on your pics.
    nobody comment on my pictures as well

    my post 986 views and 4 comments

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the other day i gave constructive critique on someone's landscape shots and i got a very negative attitude, was told that my thoughts were underexposed, that was fine

    then when i reiterated my reasons for the critique the ts just threw a huff, locked his thread and stressed that if he wanted critique he would have posted in the critique corner (or rather, words to that effect)
    You sure know how to make people Tu Lang.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You sure know how to make people Tu Lang.
    tulang soup one bowl pls~
    chezburgr i can haz?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i know jeanie started something up like this with regards to P&P in the past

    the other day i gave constructive critique on someone's landscape shots and i got a very negative attitude, was told that my thoughts were underexposed, that was fine

    then when i reiterated my reasons for the critique the ts just threw a huff, locked his thread and stressed that if he wanted critique he would have posted in the critique corner (or rather, words to that effect)

    so my question to one and all:
    1) do you take up photography to shoot better shots that you can be proud of, or do you just take it so that you can have cleaner pictures using a dslr without noise? if the horizons are tilted, the shots are overexposed with bad composition which does not interest the viewer at all, what is the purpose? granted you have the choice to do whatever you want, but this is a photographic forums, my idea is that most members here would want to improve in their photography, and whenever i post up MY pictures, i wish people would be brutal

    sharing a first experience here when i first joined i provided critique for many people's pictures based on my very mediocre understanding of composition etc

    then omg, when i posted up my first thread of a night shootout at city hall one person gave me comments that he expected better from me

    at first i was pissed, fed up, felt like giving a nasty reply
    then i thought about it, looked at my pictures and realised that i had overglorified them in our own mind

    i'm very disturbed
    recently there have been many comments with regards to cs embracing a lower standard of quality - that the pictures here are "trash" i don't know about you guys, i think there are many brilliant photographers here though

    but i do have a sense of pride as a member of this community, as the mods like to put it, and i would like cs to have a better name

    so endeth the random musing rant
    can only say CS is a very open forum, and therefore meaningful critique is rare.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    You all need to be employed as column writers in magazines Write so much

    Sion: Who knows how to make who have a boner?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    nightmare: Only give critique where it is wanted lor... Critique corner. Problem solved. All other sub-galleries just view for fun. And go wow! great shot! Pro! You're the master!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    nobody comment on my pictures as well

    my post 986 views and 4 comments
    Technically perfect shots don't leave much room for comments other than subjective artistry

  18. #18

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Well, normally if I really don't have anything good to say, I wouldn't say it - UNLESS I know that person well enough to know that the critiques wouldn't be taken negatively.

    Of course to my really good bros, I wouldn't hesitate to start a slamfest... so if I whack you means I lub you.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Well, normally if I really don't have anything good to say, I wouldn't say it - UNLESS I know that person well enough to know that the critiques wouldn't be taken negatively.

    Of course to my really good bros, I wouldn't hesitate to start a slamfest... so if I whack you means I lub you.
    *hadouken and karate chop drakon09* heh heh heh heh heh

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: taking up photography to take snapshots?

    Lub me pwease. I got many much to learn

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •