Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to improve macro shooting

Blog Entries

Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Majest1c View Post
    humm... pai seh arh... i noob...
    when u use the viewfinder... the subject is small... you think its focus
    when u see the real picture then ... you wld realise it is out of focus...

for macro shots i think MF still okie..but for events or sports... jialat lah... hard to MF fast if needed.
    try perfocus for sports
    try hyperfocus for events

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    try perfocus for sports
    try hyperfocus for events
    roger tat...

but first i think i really ve to go optical shop first.
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

Blog Entries

i shot this using MF

i shot this using MF

Sweee... how u pre-focus..then when the bee reach tat point you shoot?

wah if your shutter speed faster... then see the stationary wings arh... this one power shot liao
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

Blog Entries

i pre focus to roughly where i guessed the bee would be
    and wait

when the bee come into frame, i quickly manual focus and shoot

their wings move really fast, i think i was shooting at 1/250s

arr... now got a rush wanna to get a macro lens or should i get SB-600 flash 1st... later rest of the days may need to eat grass liao....
    我只是個陌生人 =x

Nice shot of the bee in action! Consider that a Nat Geo standard! Well done, Ortega!
    5DMKIiI|24-105f4L|50f1.4|70-200f2.8L|400f5.6L
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymond101/

My sifu almost covers the whole macro lesson in this tread liao. Manual focus is stil the easiest to use. 1st adjust the diopter of your viewfinder to match yr eyesight. To do that mount on tripod and AF on something stationary with high contrasting details. den look into viewfinder to make sure you can see the subject to the best sharpness. to adjust yr diopter, look at your manual. now yr cam is ready for manual focusing.

To get bigger magnification, you can use a few options. Tubes (my favourites), closeup filters and reverse mount are the commonly use acessories. A real macro lens will help a lot. Be patient and pratice more. Shot, post and ask, learn.. den repeat the cycle. Its very hard to understand all the theories without going for the praticals.

This is shot with 40D +Tamron 90 + Kenko 25mm tube with built-in flash.

DeSwitch very nice ... so u using tamron 90 + 25mm tube..
    yes your shifu is almost covers everything le...

look like i need to get a close up filter n c how... if i get a macro lens, look like need to get a dry cabin liao...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

Deregistered

Please. A close-up filter is more like a magnifying glass. A dedicated macro lens is the ideal if you are really into macro, be it flower or bug. And, learn to take the time to get used to manual focusing if you are going to get a macro lens. It helps a lot. It'd be folly to imagine that AF serves you better. Even if you are just shooting flora.

Next, find the right places/people to learn from. And learn patience too, lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    Please. A close-up filter is more like a magnifying glass. A dedicated macro lens is the ideal if you are really into macro, be it flower or bug. And, learn to take the time to get used to manual focusing if you are going to get a macro lens. It helps a lot. It'd be folly to imagine that AF serves you better. Even if you are just shooting flora.

Next, find the right places/people to learn from. And learn patience too, lots of it.
    Azure thax.. i understand it a need to get a macro lens if really into macro.. cos i now having some problem to get a macro lens n also i will need to get a dry cabin cos my dry box look like got no space for macro lens~

oh also my room got no space to place the dry cabin ... i need to re-decor my room 1st..
    Last edited by wing oscar; 5th October 2007 at 11:36 PM.
    我只是個陌生人 =x

if u are on a budget, i suggest buy a dry cabinet first if u have some spare cash.
    many times shooting macro, will need a flash also. so try get flash b4 macro
    flash is 1 of the most important accessories!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Deregistered

If you are going to shoot regularly (eg weekly), a dry-cab may not be such a critical need. For macro photography, a flash is not always a necessity either. Your camera's pop-up flash can do the job.

For the former, keeping your room well ventilated and airy helps a lot (so does air-conditioning). For the latter, learn to use what light is available (unfortunately many misguided souls insist on otherwise... not my problem).

For those who insist on pictures, go search my 2 Macros threads, the pictures within are approx 40% with ambient light, 20% with pop-up flash, 40% with speedlight (on-camera or otherwise). So this contradicts much of the "wisdom" you find around. However, if you are looking for a magic pill or formula, then please ignore me.

Drycabinet not that crucial at this point of time. The natural UV from the sun is enough to prevent fungus if you shoot regually. Want peace of mind just put yr gears in a tupurware with silica gel will do. cheap cheap.

Azure, I agreed with you that there is no magic pill. there are lots of way to shoot macro. Best is with a dedicated macro lens but since TS is on very tight budget, he have to make do with current setup plus some cheap acessories to help him. The built in flash is good enough. You can see my DIY difuser from the reflection of the water droplet on the fruit fly I posted.

TS, you gotta be patient and pratice. When I started I pratice on a 5 cent coin, match stick head etc.

Disclaimer: I'm still a newbie, I can never stop learning cos photography is a vast subject.

really thax alot to u guys... i guess the rest is on my own... hope if i got a macro lens, i could show a better shots...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

Blog Entries

my tu di make me very proud, i think he has become better than me already.

I am now going back to stationary subjects to practice, something different.

my tu di make me very proud, i think he has become better than me already.

I am now going back to stationary subjects to practice, something different.
    cos u 明师出高徒 mah...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    really thax alot to u guys... i guess the rest is on my own... hope if i got a macro lens, i could show a better shots...
    All the best.

By the way, you do not need a dedicated macro lens to get better shots.

For example - the pic below is NOT taken with a macro lens, but rather a cheapo 70-300mm (Nikkor G lens).

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    All the best.

By the way, you do not need a dedicated macro lens to get better shots.

For example - the pic below is NOT taken with a macro lens, but rather a cheapo 70-300mm (Nikkor G lens).
    thax Azure.. thax for showing, nice shot
    non marco lens for flower shooting is fine... but problem is, if insect shooting may having some problem...

pls correct me if i'm wrong...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    ... but problem is, if insect shooting may having some problem...

pls correct me if i'm wrong...
    It all boils down to the individual - technique, skill, effort. The below shot at 100% crop with a zoom lens, ISO100, no flash, at full 200mm zoom, with a slow-and-clunky-S3-Pro.

I speak in general when I say, it takes attitude to give enough effort to learn. It takes effort to keep trying and shooting to get the basics right. It takes mastery of basic techniques to get nice pictures. It takes patience+effort to push oneself far.

Instant-Magic-Pills are the dreams of those jokers and those who ask for settings. In this respect, I believe the fellow CSers who joined me for the recent AG260 will tell you how a Nikkor 17-55 f2.8, a Nikkor 18-70 kit lens, and a Canon 70-200 f4 IS can produce similarly nice close-ups, of a tiny mimosa flower.

'Nuff said.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast