Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: how to improve macro shooting

  1. #21
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    As mentioned practise with still life first... once you're better, then progress onto those insects. Do note that they have a comfort zone and will move off as soon as you are within those limits... some are more skitterish
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    I prefer to do AF with insects though. They are faster than what I can do with MF. And using a longer lens does help as well.

  3. #23
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Shooting flowers and the like isn't all about the lens, though a dedicated macro lens can give you better results more easily (but not all the time). As I've pointed out to you before, get your basics right first.

    I know a young lady who uses the 55-200mm as a "fake" macro lens, and she does get pretty decent results, with clean "bokeh" and all. Sometimes, I also show those who attend my (infrequent) macro LOs how their 18-135mm kit lens can do similar wonders.

    As for 90mm (Tamron) and Coolpix4500 macro pix, you can refer to these 2 threads -
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=251366
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=209507

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Azure.. very impressive n nice... if u saying normal lens also can have the same wonder.. i will try to improve my skill using my 55-200mm VR... u r right, now i still can't even get the basic right...

    really thax a million times to u guys... giving me lot of advise...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  5. #25

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    Azure.. very impressive n nice... if u saying normal lens also can have the same wonder.. i will try to improve my skill using my 55-200mm VR... u r right, now i still can't even get the basic right...

    really thax a million times to u guys... giving me lot of advise...

    even with a high end lens, if the user cant make full use of it.. then no point..

    some of the best macro shooters here dun even use dslr for their macros..

    practice makes perfect.. i'm still practicing too
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Definitely equipment does not compensate for skills. But the image quality is better, as far as technical terms are concerned. I have gotten a dedicated macro lens and never looked back on the purchase. But of course, I will still have to work on my skills so as to use the lens fully.

  7. #27
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    I prefer to do AF with insects though. They are faster than what I can do with MF. And using a longer lens does help as well.
    Only if the camera can keep up with the AF speed though.. hehe... I know some would be hard pressed to... I do my macro's with AF-C, hit or miss for some shots... hehe
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    u guys using side focus point or using center focus point to shoot for macro?? sorry i'm still doubt abt it... can advise??
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  9. #29
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    u guys using side focus point or using center focus point to shoot for macro?? sorry i'm still doubt abt it... can advise??
    UP to your composition and your lens capability in getting sharpness at the edges. Some lenses are better in the center only and as such, you may wish to crop only in the PP stage.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    UP to your composition and your lens capability in getting sharpness at the edges. Some lenses are better in the center only and as such, you may wish to crop only in the PP stage.
    oh i c... mayb i tried play around on my focus... thax for the tips...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    I usually do it with the centre focus point. Find it more accurate and faster.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    my D40 focus screen is like tis ---> [] [ ] []

    even i use which focus point, my focus point is covering the whole body of insect... i understand that, u guys was saying focus on the eye of the insect... so for tis how i should i need to take note of it... or could it be i still don't know the trick / skill to capture it...

    sorry for like keep repeat the same question..
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  13. #33
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    use MF as the AF sensor is too big and mostly cannot focus at the point that you want on first try

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    use MF as the AF sensor is too big and mostly cannot focus at the point that you want on first try
    u mean MF n AF, the sensor will act difference..
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  15. #35
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    u mean MF n AF, the sensor will act difference..
    yes, very different

    AF, sensor is deciding the focusing
    MF, you decide the focusing

    in macro work the details are sometimes much smaller that the sensor
    so sometimes the sensor cannot lock on to what you want to focus on and will start to hunt

  16. #36

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    yes, very different

    AF, sensor is deciding the focusing
    MF, you decide the focusing

    in macro work the details are sometimes much smaller that the sensor
    so sometimes the sensor cannot lock on to what you want to focus on and will start to hunt

    problem ish... sometime MF liao ... not sharp enuff
    user eye issue

    how to overcome that?
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

  17. #37
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Majest1c View Post
    problem ish... sometime MF liao ... not sharp enuff
    user eye issue

    how to overcome that?
    go see an Optometrists

  18. #38

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    go see an Optometrists

    i tried MF before...sometime good sometime bad...
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

  19. #39
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Majest1c View Post

    i tried MF before...sometime good sometime bad...
    the technique that i use is to focus my lens first.
    then while looking through the viewfinder
    i move the camera forward and backward until the subject's eye is sharp

  20. #40

    Default Re: how to improve macro shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the technique that i use is to focus my lens first.
    then while looking through the viewfinder
    i move the camera forward and backward until the subject's eye is sharp
    humm... pai seh arh... i noob...
    when u use the viewfinder... the subject is small... you think its focus
    when u see the real picture then ... you wld realise it is out of focus...

    for macro shots i think MF still okie..but for events or sports... jialat lah... hard to MF fast if needed.
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •