Thread: Japan in Winter

Default Japan in Winter

Other than Hokkaido, where would you recommend a small group of photogs to go for 1 week in Japan during winter? And what are the subjects you would be able to shoot in these places?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

FYI we'll be going to Hokkaido for about 10 days and am looking for an extension of our trip.

TIA
    Last edited by syl; 30th September 2007 at 03:34 PM.

Default Re: Japan in Winter

try tohoku or the nagano region. look for old historic cities. also try the biwa lake region.

syl, I'm planning the same. I'm spending the Christmas week there. But we're going to Toyama, Nagano area instead.

What's your plan so far?

Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    Other than Hokkaido, where would you recommend a small group of photogs to go for 1 week in Japan during winter? And what are the subjects you would be able to shoot in these places?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

FYI we'll be going to Hokkaido for about 10 days and am looking for an extension of our trip.

TIA
    Subjects? Dead trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    syl, I'm planning the same. I'm spending the Christmas week there. But we're going to Toyama, Nagano area instead.

What's your plan so far?
    Looking to go just after CNY '08

Subjects? Dead trees.

Ice, large birds, snow monkeys!

Subjects? Dead trees.

for your info, Sapporo Snow Festival will be on from 5th Feb to 11th Feb, CNY will be starting on 7th Feb

Subjects? Dead trees.

Ice, large birds and snow monkeys? Akan National Park. Nuff said.

Or u can grab the train go all the way to Wakkanai Misaki Cape or Nemuro Cape Nossapu. Will take u 6hrs at the very least. There's only 3 trains to Wakkanai daily (not sure abt Nemuro) including a daily overnight train from 8pm to 6am frm Wakkanai to Sapporo.

And if u've got family or kids in tow, u might get a, "Papa, I'm very cold... Can go shopping or not? Here nothing to see one..."
    Last edited by jsbn; 1st October 2007 at 09:49 AM.

Otaru, Daisetsuzan, Hakone, Onuma-Koen, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Ice, large birds and snow monkeys? Akan National Park. Nuff said.

Or u can grab the train go all the way to Wakkanai Misaki Cape or Nemuro Cape Nossapu. Will take u 6hrs at the very least. There's only 3 trains to Wakkanai daily (not sure abt Nemuro) including a daily overnight train from 8pm to 6am frm Wakkanai to Sapporo.

And if u've got family or kids in tow, u might get a, "Papa, I'm very cold... Can go shopping or not? Here nothing to see one..."
    Akan National Park is on our list. Will be spending 2 - 3 days there! No kids, just 4 mad and very keen photogs!

What's up at Wakkanai Misaki Cape? Will be renting a car for our journey. Any more tips? So far yours have been the best - M A N Y THANKS.

Akan National Park is on our list. Will be spending 2 - 3 days there! No kids, just 4 mad and very keen photogs!

What's up at Wakkanai Misaki Cape? Will be renting a car for our journey. Any more tips? So far yours have been the best - M A N Y THANKS.
    Well, boasting rights to be one of the few Singaporeans that touched the Northern-most Tip of Japan?

Jokes aside, the sunset at Noshappu Cape and Soya Cape (correction: its NOT Misaki Cape. But Soya Cape)at Wakkanai is supposed to be very nice. Probably I was there on a bad and cloudy day so I have to suck balls on it. Reached Soya Cape at like 1745H on the last bus and it was like -10 degrees with sea wind whipping snow on ur face and it was dark like nuts? Well, creative photograph on a pitch dark sky aside, the last bus IIRC that goes around to Misaki Cape ends at abt 1800H and takes abt 30mins from Wakkanai Station/Bus Terminus.

Nosappu Cape at Nemuro can be reached by bus as well. I haven't been there yet but I heard that u can literally see floating Ice Floes at Nosappu Cape.

Here's a little to share frm my past trip. Not say 120% grade or what. A snap-&-go thing. My face was frozen then.

Take the train if possible!

This was at Aomori near the train station. Not exactly Hokkaido but a straits across
    Last edited by jsbn; 1st October 2007 at 06:11 PM.

Thank you for all your replies. Any more suggestions?