Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

  1. #1
    Senior Member hhho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,145

    Default A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Hi! Took it yesterday evening after jogging Jurong Lake side garden



    It was last weekend Latern Festival in Chinese Garden and I took it just before sky getting dark. I did processing it in photoshop to make it looked more presentable.
    I need your critique on how to improve this photo

    Thank you very much.

    Cheers,

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Why don't you try cropping away the top section of the pictures (skies) and a bit of the bottom so that it becomes a pano shot? The skies are taking a huge part of the observer's attention which i don't think should be the main subject in this pic.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    I would also agree on a pano crop. The other issue would be that, you're shooting from the left of the bridge's central part. If you were shooting from dead centre towards the bridge, it would have been much better.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,932

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Maybe you can crop it such that theres more water instead of sky
    and there's not much in the sky anyway
    Prob look better instead of having the bridge in the middle of the pic

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Upp Bt Timah
    Posts
    713

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Too much sky. If there was a moon or something, it will make a great difference.
    Overall, not bad..
    5DMKIiI|24-105f4L|50f1.4|70-200f2.8L|400f5.6L
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymond101/

  6. #6
    Senior Member hhho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Thank you for your feedback
    I made another attempt to crop in a better proportion
    Here's another version.



    Cheers,

  7. #7

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    I think you need to crop a lot more. Still doesn't draw my attention to the bridge.

  8. #8

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Crop more.
    Cavendish....Canon 40D D30
    580Ex II 550Ex

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Crop to just above the treeline.

    Make it to about 1:4 ratio...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Crop to just above the treeline.

    Make it to about 1:4 ratio...
    Agreed... TS's crop too conservative...gan gan lai!
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  11. #11

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    aiya you all ask him crop crop crop
    just do for him la



    oh, i did some pp as well
    blue is so depressing

  12. #12
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Crop factor is just right... but I dun like this colour... still prefer the original.. or mebbe a deeper blue (with higher saturation)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  13. #13

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    I suggest you choose another spot to shoot so that each dolphine can be seen. This is my take. (click to enlarge)

  14. #14
    Senior Member hhho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by huluyue View Post
    I suggest you choose another spot to shoot so that each dolphine can be seen. This is my take. (click to enlarge)
    Sorry and no, your picture is too dark to be seen.
    The focus is not on dolphine lantern or every dolphine lantern must be seen.
    I choose the evening time for this shot (before the darknees falls) for specific purpose
    Thank you for your comments.

    cheers,

  15. #15
    Senior Member hhho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    aiya you all ask him crop crop crop
    just do for him la



    oh, i did some pp as well
    blue is so depressing
    I don't like it.
    The mood is totally changed.

  16. #16

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    this is the last time i'll be posting in the critique corner
    looking at the last few posts is very demoralising, espeicially when huluyue was commenting on the viewpoint/perspective
    overdefensiveness is getting so common nowadays, sometimes i wonder why people even bother posting in this section when their focus is not to get critique
    what an open-minded community, what an open-minded place

    my suggestion to all here alike is to do a quick search of the ts' previous threads first
    and see the general attitude he has presented so far
    that would be a rough guide - me, i just find myself not bothering anymore
    Last edited by night86mare; 5th October 2007 at 08:20 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    this is the last time i'll be posting in the critique corner
    looking at the last few posts is very demoralising, espeicially when huluyue was commenting on the viewpoint/perspective
    overdefensiveness is getting so common nowadays, sometimes i wonder why people even bother posting in this section when their focus is not to get critique
    what an open-minded community, what an open-minded place
    my suggestion to all here alike is to do a quick search of the ts' previous threads first
    and see the general attitude he has presented so far
    that would be a rough guide - me, i just find myself not bothering anymore
    GOOD SAID night86mare

  18. #18

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by hhho View Post
    Sorry and no, your picture is too dark to be seen.
    The focus is not on dolphine lantern or every dolphine lantern must be seen.
    I choose the evening time for this shot (before the darknees falls) for specific purpose
    Thank you for your comments.

    cheers,
    Really? This will be big enough for you to see:




    She didn't mean you have to shoot after dark. You still can shoot BEFORE THE DARKNESS FALLS. Just choose a different spot that's all, right?
    Last edited by Junyi-; 5th October 2007 at 09:35 PM.
    I'll see you on the Dark side of the Moon...
    flickr.com/photos/junyi-/

  19. #19
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lakeside
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Hey,

    I like the partial view of the under bridge arch being lit, very creative perspective. That would make a good focus point. Things that you might want to take note is the white light in the middle of the lake seems distracting, while the color of the sunset can be achieved with some compensate on the white balance towards red in our camera setting. What is your speed btw?

  20. #20
    Senior Member hhho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: A Bridge over Jurong Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by kelvinlhm View Post
    Hey,

    I like the partial view of the under bridge arch being lit, very creative perspective. That would make a good focus point. Things that you might want to take note is the white light in the middle of the lake seems distracting, while the color of the sunset can be achieved with some compensate on the white balance towards red in our camera setting. What is your speed btw?
    Here's EXIF Information
    Camera: E-300
    Shutter: 1/10 sec
    Aperature: f/4.2
    ExposureProgram: 2
    ISO: 200
    MeteringMode: 5
    Focal Length: 25.0 mm
    ExposureMode: 0

    Thank you, kelvin
    I think it's a spot light behind the bridge.
    My focus point is on the bridge. Where else can I focus?
    ya, never though of better use of the camera setting at that time.
    What setting could it be?
    Last edited by hhho; 6th October 2007 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •