Thread: B & W film processing

Default B & W film processing

Hi,

which shop is a good place for film processing? And what does contact print mean??

So far heard Ruby is good. Konota not very consistent. Contact print = index print. You can preview your shots before you choose which one to print.

Originally posted by wormz777
    So far heard Ruby is good. Konota not very consistent. Contact print = index print. You can preview your shots before you choose which one to print.
    Actually contact print is not index print. A real contact print is made by laying out the negs onto a piece of 8x10 or 8x12 paper and exposed to light (hence the name). A contact print bears the full frame pics of the negs, as well as any film imprints, etc. Much more useable than the puny index prints.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    Actually contact print is not index print. A real contact print is made by laying out the negs onto a piece of 8x10 or 8x12 paper and exposed to light (hence the name). A contact print bears the full frame pics of the negs, as well as any film imprints, etc. Much more useable than the puny index prints.

Regards
    CK
    My bad... didn't explain in details. Anyway, its expensive to print b&w at these shops. The developing($5) and contact print($8) will set u back by ard $13! Best if you can print them yourself.

If you die die want b&w, Ilford XP2 super and Kodak TMAXCN make gd subsitutes.

where is ruby photo? 35cents for each 4R print too?

Originally posted by sojourner
    where is ruby photo? 35cents for each 4R print too?
    Ruby is opposite peninsula plaza. 4R for traditional b&w is ex. Ard $1 - $1.50. Don't know the exact price though.

Other shops offer b&w printing at a much cheaper rate ($0.50/4R) becos its done digitally.

Originally posted by wormz777
    My bad... didn't explain in details. Anyway, its expensive to print b&w at these shops. The developing($5) and contact print($8) will set u back by ard $13! Best if you can print them yourself.

If you die die want b&w, Ilford XP2 super and Kodak TMAXCN make gd subsitutes.
    I think u got the price wrong. I got the real b&w film developed and printed on 8R contact prints for $8 at Ruby. Then u can go to a pro lab to print your selections on colour paper (40-50 cents each, i think. ordinary labs often give horrible results), or print on real b&w paper($1.50 I think) at a higher price. Nothing beats the traditional method...
    Last edited by Gunjack; 28th April 2003 at 01:39 AM.

What I plan to do for my B&W escapades to to process the film myself (hopefully the film survives my torture!) and print the selection at the labs if I can't get a darkroom or if I am too lazy!

filofari:

I developed my first roll of b&w film(Ilford HP5+) recently. Except for the loading into the spool which scratched the film, the rest of the developement went fairly smoothly and trouble free, considering it was the first time I tried it myself. I will defintely try again, and that will save me on developing costs, at the same time help me understand more abt B&W developing. You should give it a try, coz it is quite fun actually, and more satisfying.
    Last edited by Gunjack; 28th April 2003 at 09:37 AM.

jcryan55
    Guests

FYI, all the shop at Peninsula area gives to the same person for developing B&W film, they don't do the processing themselves. These shops includes : Fotoguide (Defunct now), Konata, Ruby.
    They're done by an old man who uses D76 developer, hand processed. He collects negatives from Peninsula area every 2 or 3 days.
    IMHO, if u r particular abt having fine or very fine grain for your negative, suggest u do it yourself. D76 is not famous for giving u very fine grain negative. Reason why it's use, is it' cheap, reuseable & good for mass processing.

Sorry, not trying to pin him (the photo developer) down, but that's a fact.

The other alternate place to do proper B&W film processing will be Fei Fei (beside Chinatown point adjacent to POSBank) They do a better job. Though I never try before but heard feedback abt them before.

Thanks for all your replies!
    This is my first time using b & w film and from all your replies i surmise that ruby would be the best shop to do the developing. Does the old man who develop the photos have a shop of his own?? I heard that at balesteer road there is a shop owned by an old man who does hand processing anyone knows if he is still there?

Gunjack:
    I don't think i would be developing my own film so soon as i've just started taking b & w. Although i would love to learn how to diy.

It's very easy to process B&W negatives. I've yet to take a B&W course but I have already processed my B&W negatives.... Can't promise much about quality control but I got to say it feels coll to process your own negs!

Originally posted by Silverelf
    It's very easy to process B&W negatives. I've yet to take a B&W course but I have already processed my B&W negatives.... Can't promise much about quality control but I got to say it feels coll to process your own negs!
    Do you do it at home or go to a studio of some sort? And does ruby photo have this contact print services? Is ruby photo the same shop as the shop which sells camera equipment??

I do it at home. All you need is a changing bag, developer tank($20), some measuring cylinder, thermometer, developer and fixer for the bare minimum to develope your roll of film at home. Ruby charged me $8 to develope and print the contact print. Ruby is just opposite The Camera Workshop, which is across the road off Cathay Photo.