View Poll Results: Are you going to watch the censored version of Lust, Caution?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 9.68%
  • No

23 74.19%
  • Dunno yet

5 16.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you going to watch the edited version of Lust, Caution?

Default Re: Are you going to watch the edited version of Lust, Caution?

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha View Post
    Eh, you've got to ask why the distributor has to do this in the first place. Because of our rating system and thus still about MDA and their censorship rules. This movie is rated NC-17 in the US (and they are actually NOT as open as one might think when it comes to sex and nudity. Europe is miles ahead..) which means only 1 year older and they can watch the un-nerfed version. How to be an """ARTS HUB""" liddat?
    so you're saying that Singapore ought to use the same rating standard as U.S.? don't you think that's being too simplistic?

anyway, nobody pointed a gun at the distributor's head and demanded that they must cut, why can't they just show the uncut version as R21 in Singapore? obviously the teenage population here forms a large customer base for cinemas, they just want to make money. like that also want to blame MDA? sheesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    so you're saying that Singapore ought to use the same rating standard as U.S.? don't you think that's being too simplistic?

anyway, nobody pointed a gun at the distributor's head and demanded that they must cut, why can't they just show the uncut version as R21 in Singapore? obviously the teenage population here forms a large customer base for cinemas, they just want to make money. like that also want to blame MDA? sheesh ...
    Now when did I suggest that? All I'm saying is that MDA needs to review it's censorship policies. Films like this are not using sex for the sake of sex, to titillate, etc like in skin flicks. They need to see the difference.

Anyway, you've obviously never heard of soft power. These days you don't need to point a gun at some one's head (or missles at someone's cities) to get them to do something. The very problem is that the uncut version WILL be R21. Think of it this way, if the uncut version could get M18 or something lower, do you think they would still want/need (whatever you call it) to self-censor? Ask yourself who has created this climate where one feels the need to censor one's art (or other's art in this case) for the sake of being agreeable to some arbitrary standard of decency? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against MDA, I just don't agree with THEIR standards of what THEY think WE should and should not be allowed to see.
    Last edited by Denosha; 4th October 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Now when did I suggest that? All I'm saying is that MDA needs to review it's censorship policies. Films like this are not using sex for the sake of sex, to titillate, etc like in skin flicks. They need to see the difference.

Anyway, you've obviously never heard of soft power. These days you don't need to point a gun at some one's head (or missles at someone's cities) to get them to do something. The very problem is that the uncut version WILL be R21. Think of it this way, if the uncut version could get M18 or something lower, do you think they would still want/need (whatever you call it) to self-censor?
    your argument is like no argument. different countries, different culture, different rules. if you think the policy doesn't reflect the general interest of the population, well you can go ahead and write to your MP and MDA and present them your argument that MDA should review the rating policy. the director's intention of making the sex scenes is one thing, how the public will react to it is another. end of the day, movie distributors are driven by profit, not art, they don't need your sympathy. i'm not inclined to think that they are sacrificing art because of Singapore's rating policy, i'm more inclined to think that they are sacrificing art for profit. if they are so persistent in their artistic expression, just show it in R21, why compromise?
    Last edited by eikin; 4th October 2007 at 04:09 PM.

I'm only voicing out and justifying my OWN PERSONAL opinion. You are of course entitiled to disagree with me as I am with you. Let's just agree to disagree since I think I'm not going to change your mind and you mine.

I'm only voicing out and justifying my OWN PERSONAL opinion. You are of course entitiled to disagree with me as I am with you. Let's just agree to disagree since I think I'm not going to change your mind and you mine.
    of course. but i'll prefer to take a wider view of the situation and not be so quick to throw the blame on a single party so quickly and so conveniently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12