Thread: Which Firewall do u recommend

Default Which Firewall do u recommend

Hi

Some thing un-related to photography .

Am looking at buying one of the desktop firewall :
    - Sygate Personal Firewall Pro
    - Norton Personal Firewall
    - ZoneAlarm Pro

Can some one advise as to which is the recommended one ? Cost is no problem.

ShadowDancer
    Guests

Personally I am using Norton Internet Security. Quite good No luck with Zone Alarm though. Keep causing my ADSL connection to drop. Why not download the trial versions and try it out? Choose the one that you are most comfortable with

I use Zone Alarm... quite good... but then i am on Starhub cable
    Canon 40D 17-55mm/f2.8 IS, 50mm/f1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

Cisco PIX

Regards
    CK

Deregistered

consider BlackICE?

Get A Sun Solaris Box & customise firewall yourself.........

Originally posted by longman
    How does customising your firewall make your network more secure? I would agree that this solution gives more flexibility and freedom in defining what goes in and out of your network. But this takes a lot of effort and requires at least some level of knowledge of network security, not least the risks of breaking applications that require certain network traffic to work.

Going a bit OT.

keraptis
    Guests

Originally posted by longman
    u think someone would spend SGD$20K for a firewall just to protect their home network??

Originally posted by keraptis
    u think someone would spend SGD$20K for a firewall just to protect their home network??
    Well, if people will spend SGD$14k on a camera....

Regards
    CK

Sygate is not bad... the personal version (FREE) is good enough for home use... of course, the better off would consider Cisco PIX firewall, Checkpoint, etc.
    Olympus E-3 / E-500 / XA | Vivitar UWS
    Blog & Photos

newuser
    Guests

I have personally tried Sygate, Norton's Internet Security and Personal Firewall and McAfee's Firewall.

Currently using McAfee's one as it comes bundled with my McAfee Antivirus 7.0 (DBS's $12.35 offer at Challenger)

I find Sygate to be pretty good, but I like Norton better because they constantly update their products and with the LiveUpdate you can set to auto update when ever you are online. It ensures you have the latest version of the software.

McAfee also have this feature.

I am not sure about Sygate cause I used the Personal Edition(Free) which I don't believe offer such a facility.

http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/firewall/index7.html

http://www.theguardianangel.com/firewall_comparison.htm

According the theguradianangel.com, BLACKICE is an IDS rather than Firewall. Meaning it's an intrusion detection system.

For ADSL users get a Cisco 827 with Firewall IOS. Or get one of those cheap home PIX firewall. 4 port FE PIX.h

OpenBSD with iptables

Originally posted by sfhuang
    How does customising your firewall make your network more secure? I would agree that this solution gives more flexibility and freedom in defining what goes in and out of your network. But this takes a lot of effort and requires at least some level of knowledge of network security, not least the risks of breaking applications that require certain network traffic to work.

Going a bit OT.
    A firewall appliance is not worth any thing either if setup by some one who doesn't really under stand what they are doing.

More than once I've seen some one claim 'I have a firewall, and I'm safe' and all the thing is doing is relaying data in and out, doing NO BLOCKING AT ALL!.
    Some people get them, and then discover that their ICQ, Instant Messanger, etc doesn't work and start 'punching holes' in their firewall to make all these things work again.
    Might as well disconnect the thing and turn it off once you start doing that - most of the nasty attacks work down the channels these programs use.
    (Most windows servers are taken out by IIS (Web server) bugs. Blocking the web server port would stop that, but then the machine isn't a lot of use as web server then is it.. :-)

About the best a home user could do is use something like Zone alarm that can intercept and block (on request) outgoing connections. You don't want popup warnings on incoming connections, the thing will keep going off all the time. :-).

Spyware is now a serious Windows world problem,and something like ZoneAlarm warning out outgoing connections might stop these, at least until the next generation of Spyware becomes aware of these personal firewall/loggers and disable them before sending of their data.

I use a desktop Linux machine, so I don't have that problem :-)

have been using the firewall that comes with PC-Cillin 2002 (bought cheap with the local banks' promotion).

anyone using Gibson Research's software to test their firewalls?
    http://grc.com/freepopular.htm
    Last edited by mpenza; 29th April 2003 at 07:47 AM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature