Thread: Scatch Disk Full

Default Scatch Disk Full

Hi, need help......was editing my photos in my adobe photoshop CS. this message shows up....."scatch disk full". unable to do anything now. restarted my PC still the same.
    i still had about 17GB of free hard disk space. clear off my internet temperory files.
    anyone can give me further advise?..thanks in advance.

Default Re: Scatch Disk Full

Defragment the hard disk?

try setting the scratch disk space to another partition (if you have one)....

upgrade your ram and your harddrive.

Firstly are you using one or two hard drives? Usually Photoshop would preferred if not expect you to have a second drive for it's scratch disk activities. A scratch disk which you may or may not know is a portion that Photoshop will use like it was RAM abeit it is ton slower then a snail trying to win a race against a rabbit. But what to do if it runs out of RAM to digest and keep numerous UNDO layers as you work in Photoshop?

So it turns to your HDD using it as a scratch disk. 17g is alot but then again depending on how many file you open up, how large the photo file is, or number of layers...etc. All this eats up space like nobody's business. I usually to purge my undo levels as often as I can and if you are working with really huge files and very complicated effect like some Plugin effect.....it is very resource intensive and at times Photoshop CAN and WILL crash your system like a spoit baby. So you need to save often when you are finish with a very complicated set of work flow action or effects. If not...by the time you see "scratch disk full" it is TOO LATE. you can even not manage to save it at that point to get out of photoshop and come back in again.

Oh ya...there is a reason why Photoshop want you to use another HDD for your scratch disk. And no I am sure a partition is a good idea as it is STILL on one HDD!!!. The reason is due to the speed of writing and reading. Each HDD has only one reading and writing arm per disc. While you are doing something in Photoshop, Window and other programs are running in the background and using RAM too. So trying to do multi reading all over each disc plate within one HDD slows everything down further. So using another HDD for your scratch disk mean you have a reading and writing HDD solely just for Phtoshop's "wimps and fancy use" heheh... Abit layman but I hop eyou get what I mean.

Now, if you have a second drive, set your scratch disk to that other drive. In an case you will find that Photoshop will prompt you to do that when you set your scratch disk destination. So get another HDD. It might also help if you have more RAM. I am using 2gig and even that is not enough on my XP. But I have a 160g HDD set as my second HDD so....it is not too bad even if I am working on a file that is 1gig in size.

And for goodness sake...don't keep so many photo files open up...it is taking up so much RAM space you can't begin to imagine. heheh.. I have seen so many people doing that. Work on one file at a time and close windows you DONT NEED OPENED!. They all take away your resource from your photoshop project!.

There is also a setting you can do in Photoshop which is to adjust how much of ram is use by Photoshop and how much left out for Window and other program to use. Sometime you have play with this to get to that "sweet spot" as I call it. The right balance also gives you a very stable platform to do your photo finish too.

And one more area.. For those really in the dark about photo and graphic file formats.... If you think your Jpeg show you a file size of say 3mb in the file directory..and you think that when you open it in Photoshop, it is STILL 3 mbs???? THINK AGAIN!!. A typical jpg of about that size (3mb) when open up to its true size when it UNCOMPRESS itself can be as large as 18mb or more! And then you start to make changes to the file, change colour, add effect, each time you make a change, more data is kept for you to do UNDO steps!!!.. So the more UNDO steps you have.... imagine how many set of 18mb of details it has to keep just so you can restore it back a few generation. That is why I say...save as often as you can if you are working with super large file. It does not matter if it is a PC or A Mac..they all suffer from lack of RAM. :P

Hmm...I might have miss out of some of the stuff but I think you get the picture lah heheheh.....

So hope that helps

opps...one more thing. When you start up Photoshop, it will create a TEMPORARY file in the HDD you set for scratch disk. It will be about 50mb and sometime abit more. Now as more UNDO steps are memorised, that damn files gets really HUGE!!!.. that my friend is where and why you get that hateful "Scratch disk full". Now here is the problem which can happen. When you exist photoshop, sometimes and ESPECIALLY if it crash out..that damn file is NOT DELETED automatically. So go check your temp folder which is usually found in the windows directory or maybe on your second HDD. When you find any of these....well IN FACT...if you see any other damn files in the TEMP folder...blast them all to hell. These are all the left over stuff that you don't need nor will it harm your system. Clearing it just make more roon for your programs to run.

REBOOTING IS NOT GOING TO HELP. This is a difference problem and not a window related problem. So dont go bashing window about it.
    Last edited by sammy888; 28th September 2007 at 12:41 PM.

All things fail, just restart Windows.

Blog Entries

buy a dedicated scratch disk HDD

thanks everyone for the precious tips...........

40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

google is your best friend

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...cratchdisk.htm

It is also possible to get the "scratch disk is full" error, even if the scratch disk drive has free space. This is because Photoshop requires contiguous, unfragmented free space on the scratch disk drive. If you are getting the "scratch disk is full" error message and your scratch disk drive does show a good amount of free space, you may need to run a disk defragmentation utility. See How to Defragment Your Hard Drive for Windows or Defragment and Cleanup Utilities for Macintosh
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L