Thread: First outing - the zoo

Default First outing - the zoo

Hi,
    Newbie here - I'm planning on heading off to the zoo tmrw for my first "outing", I know i'll probably end up with a batch of quite generic shots so does anyone have any tips?

I'll be taking along: EOS 400D, the std EFS 18-55mm, an older EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM and tripod.

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: First outing - the zoo

Go to the white tiger before the feeding time and stay there, secure a good location. you should be able to get good img there with your current setup.

YMMV

I like the snakes enlosure. Your 18-55 plus the built in flash will give you nice close-ups.

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to visit both these spots.

Deregistered

plan ur trip. check out the activities in the zoo for that day that you might want to participate. plan your route so that you don't end up running around the zoo. bring plenty of water if you want to save money cos drinks in zoo quite ex. better to go very early morning when your subject are likely to be jumping around(active). a rush trip may not be enjoyable as shooting "nature" requires patience.

honestly speaking you may not be able to cover everything. don't be too ambitious on that.

you can shoot the view of the reservoir. check out the fragile forest for macro stuffs too.

my 2cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    Go to the white tiger before the feeding time and stay there, secure a good location. you should be able to get good img there with your current setup.

YMMV
    when's the feeding time?

Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    when's the feeding time?
    here you go and this weekends is going to be a crowded if not wrong love972 have some event there.

Do visit the poor polar bear it may be gone soon.....
    Last edited by longkangman; 28th September 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice above - spent a few hours at the zoo taking pics - some Ok some not so good - but enjoyable all the same. Hopefully I'll sort out posting a few for some CC
    Thanks again.

Hi, I am heading for my "1st" trip to zoo for shooting this sat with my new PnS - a Lumix FX10. Like to ask for advice ... my previous Fujifilm F20 gets overexposed pictures at times even when my exposure meter is set to 0. Any advice would it be good if I set it to -1 or -2 instead? I read on Ken Rockwell's website he always set his canon cams to vivid colors and -2 for exposure .. wonder if tt works for me too?