Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Myanmar Situation

Default Re: Myanmar Situation

Democracy without an educated populace is not exactly the best option too.

Both have to run concurrently.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    Waileong, no point trying to convince people who believe the drivel that democracy = chaos!destruction!

Just send them overseas to live for a year and maybe they'll appreciate the finer points of democracy
    Actually I had no intention to talk about democracy, or any surveys. Only my point that China's economic potential will be limited ultimately. And I think it's a price that the govt there knows and is willing to pay to stay on in power indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    1. Who's being hypocritical here? So foreigners are only right when they praise us? How come we can be judged by western standards for economic growth but not for press freedom?

2. Do you want to debate surveys? Because for every good survey result you bring up, I can bring up a bad one and we can go on and on. What will that show-- how many surveys we each have under our belts?
    Quite simply, I'm calling you on your plea to read beyond our borders. Are there limitations to our system? Of course, plentiful! Healthcare delivery for one, social sevices for another. Can we do better? I believe so.

However, Given the griping on this forum, I'd would have thought we were worse off than Myanmar!

Some balance yes?

I'm not discussing healthcare or social services. Or even whether Singapore can do better. Or whether Singapore is worse off than Myanmar.

Look: Someone made a remark that China is doing very well despite the lack of freedom. I said that the lack of freedom will hamper its true potential. He added that democracy creates too much arguments and frustrates decision making, that it's a mess. I clarified what democracy is. That's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Quite simply, I'm calling you on your plea to read beyond our borders. Are there limitations to our system? Of course, plentiful! Healthcare delivery for one, social sevices for another. Can we do better? I believe so.

However, Given the griping on this forum, I'd would have thought we were worse off than Myanmar!

Some balance yes?

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    I'm not discussing healthcare or social services. Or even whether Singapore can do better. Or whether Singapore is worse off than Myanmar.

Look: Someone made a remark that China is doing very well despite the lack of freedom. I said that the lack of freedom will hamper its true potential. He added that democracy creates too much arguments and frustrates decision making, that it's a mess. I clarified what democracy is. That's all it is.
    I have no interest of going OT, but since you pursue the point, I quote you from post #32, the one I originally replied to;

"I would urge you to read alternative literature (ie not the Straits Times) to understand how well we have really done vs countries like South Korea and Hong Kong. There are many measures on economic well-being and resilience and social well-being, GDP growth % is just one of them."

Doesn't sound like you are talking about China, does it?

I think this has served its purpose. Do keep the Myanmese in your prayers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123