Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Takedown of hijackers onboard SQ117 highly overrated?

Default Re: Takedown of hijackers onboard SQ117 highly overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by OBU View Post
    The exact rescue details will not be disclosed as the then Second Defence Minister, Dr Yeo Ning Hong said the government will not discuss the operational procedures.
    Just curious, as to why?

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Quite simply, once you commit an act of hostage taking, you have forfeited your right to a happy ending, and rightfully so. Just do a quick Google search on airplane hijacks. How many of those have ended badly with tragic consequences for innocent passengers? If you were a hostage on that plane, with your loved ones, would you not desire for a quick and safe resolution for yourself?

It is regrettable that the hijackers had to perish, but they are 100% responsible for their own demise. If they had surrendered peacefully, or better yet, not committed the hijack in the first place, none of these would have happened.

Overhyped? A hijack is a hijack is a hijack. And this was a successful hijack recovery operation, as opposed to the many botched ones. Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBU View Post
    One of the hijackers said, "I promise you I will free every child, woman and man, but if you make trouble, I'll make trouble."

After eight hours of negotiations, they started to douse the floor and seats of the plane with liquor with the intention to ignite it, as well as issuing a five-minute deadline threatening to kill the hostages every 10 minutes if their demands were not met.

It is no longer a butter or kaya knives issue, but the lives of more than 100 hostages on board the plane.

The exact rescue details will not be disclosed as the then Second Defence Minister, Dr Yeo Ning Hong said the government will not discuss the operational procedures.
    perhaps it now justifies enough for me to change my perception of this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Just curious, as to why?
    Huh...Why ????? This is trade secret, SOP for the SOF !!!! If everyone were to know how the SOF operate in this kind of situation then there will be no element of surprise when the men storm the aircraft. All this drills is being practice over and over again so as to achieve perfection. When you enter a situation like this, into a dark aircraft, with hundred of people screaming and all those smoke created by the flash bang do you think you have time to identify what the hijackers have in their hands? knifes, weapons, grenade, ice cream cone? The intention of the hijacker is to achieve their objective of getting their demands met no matter how many people die including themselves. I think when the SOF stomp the aircraft their objective is to rescue all hostage and end the stand off, no mercy will be shown because that option has already been offered during the negotiation. Once you enter the aircraft, it is either you die or I die which option will you chose if you were them ?
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Just curious, as to why?
    ...... even if they say I also dun believe....

Just curious, as to why?
    Ummm....if US special forces conducted a successful operation against Al Qaeda, will they tell the world how they did it?

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    perhaps it now justifies enough for me to change my perception of this issue.
    And since this is the case, I am closing this thread before it starts going OT.

And perhaps it is also a good time for you to properly reflect and think through and issue before considering it being overrated or over hyped etc.

Gentlemen, thank you for taking time to share your point of view. It is good to see everyone feeling so strongly about this issue and also being sensible and level-headed when crafting your replies. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    WG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12