Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: DSLR for newbie

  1. #21

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by feizhu View Post
    Bro, any idea when its hitting our shores? That will give me a time frame as to when to expect the price if the A100 to drop
    Official launch should be around end Oct/Nov. But side imports and MO's from HK are starting already...

  2. #22
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by feizhu View Post
    Bro, any idea when its hitting our shores? That will give me a time frame as to when to expect the price if the A100 to drop
    The price have already dropped. $1099 for the A100 with kit lens is a very, very good buy.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  3. #23

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    keep a close eye on the Sony section and B&S if you want a cheap A100 body (700 or so)

  4. #24

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    The price have already dropped. $1099 for the A100 with kit lens is a very, very good buy.
    Very true. Good deal, and the Sony kit lens is among the best kit lenses.

  5. #25

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    The price have already dropped. $1099 for the A100 with kit lens is a very, very good buy.
    yeap. i almost bought A100.

  6. #26

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    yeap. i almost bought A100.
    Hi Bro,
    how does this compare to the E510? Understand that the E510 has a dust removal system?

  7. #27

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by feizhu View Post
    Hi Bro,
    how does this compare to the E510? Understand that the E510 has a dust removal system?
    personally i didn't consider the oly because it is a 4/3 system and i didn't like the feel of it as well.

  8. #28

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by feizhu View Post
    Hi Bro,
    how does this compare to the E510? Understand that the E510 has a dust removal system?
    So does the A100.

    The E510 is a nice cam, but from my testing i wasn't too happy about the image quality. At times it seemed over-saturated. Also, it has a 2x crop, so it's hard to get wide-angle shots. I didn't like the feel of the camera; it didn't fit my hand right, and I didn't find the controls intuitive. Battery life is ok, but it takes forever to charge the batt!! Also, the E510 supports no battery grip.

    The "Live View" is an interesting addition, but can really slow down the whole picture taking process; once you're in live view mode, you can't "half-depress" the shutter button to autofocus. You need to press it all the way, or manually focus and use the focus lock button. But it still needs to drop the mirror before it can take the pic, adding almost a second of shutter lag. I find it somewhat useless.

    Focusing in low light tends to hunt a lot.

  9. #29

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    So does the A100.

    The E510 is a nice cam, but from my testing i wasn't too happy about the image quality. At times it seemed over-saturated. Also, it has a 2x crop, so it's hard to get wide-angle shots. I didn't like the feel of the camera; it didn't fit my hand right, and I didn't find the controls intuitive. Battery life is ok, but it takes forever to charge the batt!! Also, the E510 supports no battery grip.

    The "Live View" is an interesting addition, but can really slow down the whole picture taking process; once you're in live view mode, you can't "half-depress" the shutter button to autofocus. You need to press it all the way, or manually focus and use the focus lock button. But it still needs to drop the mirror before it can take the pic, adding almost a second of shutter lag. I find it somewhat useless.

    Focusing in low light tends to hunt a lot.
    I suggest you read more about 4/3 before commenting and misleading others, especially the new comers. Having use the E-system dSLR (from E500 to E510, at times E1) for the past 2 years I don't face with the problems that you'd mentioned. I doubt that you have use a Olympus dSLR before. Also, I hardly encounter "Focusing in low light tends to hunt a lot". Using a camera means proper handling technique. I don't want to start a flaming war here by comparing which system is good which is bad. What I'm saying is that each have have it's pro and con. No system is perfect!

  10. #30

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by diCam View Post
    I suggest you read more about 4/3 before commenting and misleading others, especially the new comers. Having use the E-system dSLR (from E500 to E510, at times E1) for the past 2 years I don't face with the problems that you'd mentioned. I doubt that you have use a Olympus dSLR before. Also, I hardly encounter "Focusing in low light tends to hunt a lot". Using a camera means proper handling technique. I don't want to start a flaming war here by comparing which system is good which is bad. What I'm saying is that each have have it's pro and con. No system is perfect!
    Used the e510 for 2 weeks. If I had no experience with the cam I would not post. I've handled cameras for the last 18 years and never had a camera have as many problems locking on to a subject in low light as I have with the e510.

    So, biased as you obviously are, I'm talking from my own experiences. If you re-learned how to shoot just to compensate for the camera's shortcomings, good for you.

  11. #31

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Thanks bros for all your comments! I've decided on getting the A100 because of its price.
    By the way, I'm contemplating buying the Tamron 90mm Macro lens but I understand that there are 2 versions of it, the MF version and the AF version. Is there any difference if I were to use it to take macro shots of still objects and maybe food? Thanks!

  12. #32

    Default Re: DSLR for newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by feizhu View Post
    Thanks bros for all your comments! I've decided on getting the A100 because of its price.
    By the way, I'm contemplating buying the Tamron 90mm Macro lens but I understand that there are 2 versions of it, the MF version and the AF version. Is there any difference if I were to use it to take macro shots of still objects and maybe food? Thanks!
    Go for AF, of course! The Tamron 90mm is a real gem of a lens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •