Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

  1. #21

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    FF: full frame sensor
    EF-S only for APS-C format, as 400D with a 1.6x crop factor
    From what I read, tamron has a better review than sigma, but if it is sigma OS then it might be better, haven't read much review about it though
    My Flickr
    Life is measured by every moment that takes your breath away.

  2. #22
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by noelle View Post
    thanks all, everyone is rooting for the 17-85mm lens, explains the price

    just wondering is the IS only useful for low light conditions? any other situations it could be useful in?

    i probably should have mentioned this earlier actually but i'm quite keen on exploring street photography (taking pics of unsuspecting people from a distant - inspired by some great shots on here), which is why i started off this thread (as per title) considering a superzoom lens like 18-200mm or the the twin lens combo 18-55mm + 55-200mm since i can stand further away from subject and not get whacked . also, on my slr, i have a 35-80mm kit lens which i am quite "bored" with.

    given my shooting "needs", which lens would be most suitable for me? doesn't have to be any of the lens mentioned here and budget using sg prices, $1500 - $1800 including body.

    boredphuck, what's the difference between sigma 18-200mm and tamron 18-200mm? was told sigma has image stabilising..?

    xunjas, what's FF body?
    FF = Full Frame, Sensor size is 24 x 36mm equivalent to 35mm film. Canon EOS 5D, 1Ds MarkII, 1Ds Mark III and Nikon D3 are some of the FF body. Big sensor so very expensive cameras.

    IS is gd to counter slight camera shake.

  3. #23

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by noelle View Post
    thanks all, everyone is rooting for the 17-85mm lens, explains the price

    just wondering is the IS only useful for low light conditions? any other situations it could be useful in?

    i probably should have mentioned this earlier actually but i'm quite keen on exploring street photography (taking pics of unsuspecting people from a distant - inspired by some great shots on here), which is why i started off this thread (as per title) considering a superzoom lens like 18-200mm or the the twin lens combo 18-55mm + 55-200mm since i can stand further away from subject and not get whacked . also, on my slr, i have a 35-80mm kit lens which i am quite "bored" with.

    given my shooting "needs", which lens would be most suitable for me? doesn't have to be any of the lens mentioned here and budget using sg prices, $1500 - $1800 including body.

    boredphuck, what's the difference between sigma 18-200mm and tamron 18-200mm? was told sigma has image stabilising..?

    xunjas, what's FF body?
    The Canon IS and Sigma OS would be good to curb hand shakes or aid low light shooting. i would prefer to get something with IS or OS as far as i can cos i am not a steady shooter.

  4. #24
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    The Canon IS and Sigma OS would be good to curb hand shakes or aid low light shooting. i would prefer to get something with IS or OS as far as i can cos i am not a steady shooter.
    have to practice, it takes time, but can be done.

  5. #25

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    have to practice, it takes time, but can be done.
    i'm waiting for the canon efs 55-250. hope the iq is good on that one.

  6. #26
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    i'm waiting for the canon efs 55-250. hope the iq is good on that one.
    it's better to choose the 17-55mm f/2.8, 55-250 has the range but it is a slow lens.. =)

  7. #27

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    it's better to choose the 17-55mm f/2.8, 55-250 has the range but it is a slow lens.. =)
    i already have the 17-85. may not match up to the 17-55 but doesn't make sense to sell this and get that right? i am considering the 24-105 instead. good move or bad?

  8. #28
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    i already have the 17-85. may not match up to the 17-55 but doesn't make sense to sell this and get that right? i am considering the 24-105 instead. good move or bad?
    17-55mm is better than 17-85mm. 17-55 versus 24-105mm - i feel like i prefer 24-105mm more than 17-55mm becos it is an L lens. plus it can be used on a FF body, it has slightly more range with 105mm. minus point is the f/4.

    i have used 24-105mm on a 1.6x body. Abit too narrow, but the added range is gd. Picture quality is excellent. Strong built, heavy, weather sealing.

    If u do not intend to upgrade to FF body. 17-55mm would be a better choice than 24-105mm. Now FF body is getting cheaper. 3.2K for a 5D in HK. So i would choose 24-105mm or even 24-70mm becos of its f/2.8.

  9. #29

    Smile Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    For IS, beside having night shoot advantage, it is benefit to those heavy lens. However, it consumes power too.

  10. #30

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    17-55mm is better than 17-85mm. 17-55 versus 24-105mm - i feel like i prefer 24-105mm more than 17-55mm becos it is an L lens. plus it can be used on a FF body, it has slightly more range with 105mm. minus point is the f/4.

    i have used 24-105mm on a 1.6x body. Abit too narrow, but the added range is gd. Picture quality is excellent. Strong built, heavy, weather sealing.

    If u do not intend to upgrade to FF body. 17-55mm would be a better choice than 24-105mm. Now FF body is getting cheaper. 3.2K for a 5D in HK. So i would choose 24-105mm or even 24-70mm becos of its f/2.8.
    who knows what can happen in the future. FF will be a natural progression although i may just change to 60D(??) in 3 yrs time.

    i do want the 24-105 for the added range as well although the f/2.8 for the 17-55 attracts me. price wise they only different by $200? with the L lens being abled to be used on the FF, it has good plus points. i think the 17-55 is abit overpriced for an EFS lens.

  11. #31
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    who knows what can happen in the future. FF will be a natural progression although i may just change to 60D(??) in 3 yrs time.

    i do want the 24-105 for the added range as well although the f/2.8 for the 17-55 attracts me. price wise they only different by $200? with the L lens being abled to be used on the FF, it has good plus points. i think the 17-55 is abit overpriced for an EFS lens.
    in that case, i would rather u get the 24-105mm. If too narrow, just move back if possible. No regrets getting that lens. =)

  12. #32

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    in that case, i would rather u get the 24-105mm. If too narrow, just move back if possible. No regrets getting that lens. =)
    ok. saving up for my xmas present then.

  13. #33
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    ok. saving up for my xmas present then.
    welcome to the L club. =D

  14. #34

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    welcome to the L club. =D
    haha. so soon got welcome greeting already.

  15. #35

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    boredphuck, did you buy lens hood or uv filter for your 17-85mm and are you using 400d as well? went to test out the 17-85mm and 55-200mm lens this morning most probably will get 17-85mm...

  16. #36
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    haha. so soon got welcome greeting already.
    Premium L club welcome. haah

  17. #37

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by noelle View Post
    boredphuck, did you buy lens hood or uv filter for your 17-85mm and are you using 400d as well? went to test out the 17-85mm and 55-200mm lens this morning most probably will get 17-85mm...
    i bought the lens hood and uv filter for the lens cos first lens so baby it abit more.

    i'm using the 40D. i figure 17-85 will be a better idea than getting the 55-200. esp when the 55-250 is coming out soon.

  18. #38

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    Premium L club welcome. haah
    spiralling into BBB hell ...

  19. #39
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    spiralling into BBB hell ...
    haha.. or Heaven perhaps .=D

  20. #40

    Default Re: 18-200mm vs 18-55mm + 55-200mm

    boredphuck, i see... will probably get one of the two.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •