Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: portable storage HDD

  1. #1

    Default portable storage HDD

    Hi guys,

    any recommendation of portable storage you are using? the ipod 80G seems good, but it is expensive if just use for transfer data.

    what you are using? how much? i saw those variety in SLS, really don't know where to start..

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    长山
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    Get a 2.5" notebook harddisk and a cover.

    Cost you about 150 only.

  3. #3

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    Hi guys,

    any recommendation of portable storage you are using? the ipod 80G seems good, but it is expensive if just use for transfer data.

    what you are using? how much? i saw those variety in SLS, really don't know where to start..
    you want to view pictures on it?
    you want to be able to backup sd card/cf card on it?

    very different from normal portable storage hdd you know

    the casing will cost slightly more, digimate is probably the cheapest casing that can backup out there, if you want to view even more expensive, got ready made pieced together ones from epson, creative, etc.. or else vosonic also makes

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    cockroach-infested parsee lees
    Posts
    1,328

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    with storage prices coming down so much these days, its cheaper and much more portable to just get a few more memory cards. unless you have a specific need other than just storage for photos/ files.
    Many are culled, few are chosen

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you want to view pictures on it?
    you want to be able to backup sd card/cf card on it?

    very different from normal portable storage hdd you know

    the casing will cost slightly more, digimate is probably the cheapest casing that can backup out there, if you want to view even more expensive, got ready made pieced together ones from epson, creative, etc.. or else vosonic also makes
    well, digimate ain't the cheapest... im using one that only cost $35, not as easy to use, but the transfer spd from PC > HDD is way faster than digimate(my experience is only about a pathetic 5MB/s)... cam > HDD is also a tiny bit faster but not significant tho... and yes it run on 4x AA, my experience with digimate is that the batt just went dead after about 3GB of copy from my kingston 50x, which is pathetic

    that was my experiece with the digimate III, the very first few version without SDHC and "hi-speed" logo.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 27th September 2007 at 12:47 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    well, digimate ain't the cheapest... im using one that only cost $35, not as easy to use, but the transfer spd from PC > HDD is way faster than digimate(my experience is only about a pathetic 5MB/s)... cam > HDD is also a tiny bit faster but not significant tho... and yes it run on 4x AA, my experience with digimate is that the batt just went dead after about 3GB of copy from my kingston 50x, which is pathetic
    ahaha, what are you using

    i have the vosonic 8360, is pretty good, can view photos too

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ahaha, what are you using

    i have the vosonic 8360, is pretty good, can view photos too
    a brandless device. most probably MIC... good enough for my usage tho, <1% of the time it is used as portable backup, 99% of the time as a standard HDD case with very good copy spd from PC

  8. #8

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    I use a Vosonic. I bought it, casing only, and I stuck in an 80GB notebook HDD in there. It comes with an LCD screen that you can use to verify that your pics were transferred properly.

    I cannot tell you how incredibly liberating it is to shoot with reckless abandon, because I know I can back up and reuse the cards I have at the end of the day I review the pics on its 3.5" screen every night in the hotel room, and delete the obviously crappy pics.

    In my recent vacation to Turkey, I took about 500+ pics alone during the morning balloon ride! And that's only a few hours out of a 10 day trip. And just how many memory cards can you bring along, anyway?

  9. #9

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by yZong View Post
    Get a 2.5" notebook harddisk and a cover.

    Cost you about 150 only.
    usually how many G for $150? thanks..i saw hardisk got what SATA, IDE..blah blah..SATA seems more expensive..why?

  10. #10

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    i am looking for a cheaper solution, if budget is not an issue, usually we don't have to ask around ha.. so i guess those who got preview function is out..

    let's say a 80G ipod is $300++, what is the equivalent price of 80G portable storage?

  11. #11

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    ipod 80gb only $300? i tot its around 500? fyi they recently have the new 160gb ipod if im not wrong around $600+

  12. #12

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    i guess i made mistake, the $300++ is 8G ipod nano, the ipod 80G is $428..

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    BEHIND YOU!!!!!!
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    get a UMPC!!!!!!!!!
    can browse internet and can view picture in bigger screen

  14. #14

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    what is the price range for a portable hardisk, seems many kind of hardisk..

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: portable storage HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    what is the price range for a portable hardisk, seems many kind of hardisk..
    <$100 for 80GB... rest of the price goes to casing... good case cost few hundred

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •