Thread: Newbie questions regarding Sony F717

Question Newbie questions regarding Sony F717

Some questions about the telephoto len for Sony F717. Which one is a good one ? Is it the one that is one of Sony's accessories? Is there any other alternatives and roughly how much is it and where can I find it ? Also have a question about close up len. What does it do ? Does it makes the focus better during macro shots or just magnify the image ?
    Last but not least, what is the conversion len option for in the camera setup ? I think I read it in the manual which says zoom will not be enabled when conversion len is set to ON ? In what situation do I need to set it to ON ? Is it when I attach any telephoto convertor, it must be set to ON ? I am confused cause I am still a newbie towards photography. Thanks !
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Default Re: Newbie questions regarding Sony F717

Originally posted by majere2sg
    Some questions about the telephoto len for Sony F717. Which one is a good one ? Is it the one that is one of Sony's accessories? Is there any other alternatives and roughly how much is it and where can I find it ? Also have a question about close up len. What does it do ? Does it makes the focus better during macro shots or just magnify the image ?
    Get the Sony TC if you can afford. It offers the best image quality. Alternatively you can try to find a B300 or wait for the upcoming TCON-17. You will need a stepdown ring to attach those TCs.(58mm-55mm). Close-up lens allows you to move nearer to the subject thus getting a bigger magnification.(not by staying in the same position). It has nothing to do with making the focus better. Remember there is a minimum focusing distance so if you move nearer than that, you will get out of focus images. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Re: Newbie questions regarding Sony F717

Originally posted by Falcon
    Get the Sony TC if you can afford. It offers the best image quality. Alternatively you can try to find a B300 or wait for the upcoming TCON-17. You will need a stepdown ring to attach those TCs.(58mm-55mm). Close-up lens allows you to move nearer to the subject thus getting a bigger magnification.(not by staying in the same position). It has nothing to do with making the focus better. Remember there is a minimum focusing distance so if you move nearer than that, you will get out of focus images. Hope this helps.
    Oh I see. Thanks ! Does it mean the more close-up lens I attach, the nearer to the subject I can get to using the maximum zoom. Does the close up len affect the quality of the image too ? Also do you know what does the conversion len option in the setup does ?

Default Re: Re: Re: Newbie questions regarding Sony F717

Oh I see. Thanks ! Does it mean the more close-up lens I attach, the nearer to the subject I can get to using the maximum zoom. Does the close up len affect the quality of the image too ? Also do you know what does the conversion len option in the setup does ?
    Yes, you can get closer by stacking up more but the image quality will take a hit. This is esp. so if you getting those cheap Hoya Closeup filters. Try not to stack too many of those. My personal recommendation is to go for Canon 250D closeup lens(58mm). It costs ard $100 as compared to $15 hoya filter. Sorry I am not very sure abt the conversion lens part.
    Last edited by Falcon; 27th April 2003 at 08:53 AM.

The conversion lens setting is needed when u use the old MHG07 wide angle convertor. The setting must be on for the cam to focus properly using this wide angle. Heard this is unnecessary if you use the new wide angle convertor.

Hope this helps.

From an ex-717 user

Can I still use digital zoom when I connect a telephoto convertor ?

Can I still use digital zoom when I connect a telephoto convertor ?
    Yes.