Thread: filter on sigma 15-30

Default filter on sigma 15-30

hi,

anyone using filters with the singma 15-30? would like to know your experience.

I believe you need to use gelatin filters for this?

Sorry, I've no experience with this, as I'm also planning to get a wide angle zoom for a DSLR, and this is one of my contenders. Mind telling me how much & where you got yours from? How do you find it so far?

I got it from fotoguide at SGD 1050 about a year back, heard that price has come down to SGD 950. I find the lens to be sharp enough for my work and at times the color contrast could have been better. Nothing too serious that a little tweak with PS wouldnt solve. All in all, a good lens for landscape photography.

The only minus is that its not filter friendly. Gelatin filters have to be cut into size to fit the filter holder at the lens end, can only take a filter at one time, filter changing is a chore, gelatin filter scratches easily ...blah..blah...

So far, i have resorted to sticking a big piece of gelatin filter, usually a ND, in front of the lens using sticky tape, its quite a pain.

Was hoping that someone has a better approach. anyone?

Originally posted by finkster
    I believe you need to use gelatin filters for this?

Sorry, I've no experience with this, as I'm also planning to get a wide angle zoom for a DSLR, and this is one of my contenders. Mind telling me how much & where you got yours from? How do you find it so far?
    Last edited by cyanbloodbane; 27th April 2003 at 12:03 PM.

Thks for the info.

Hmmm...didn't realise it was so troublesome...perhaps I'll need to consider the Tamron 19-35 or the Nikon 18-35 more seriously.

Hope someone else has advice on your filter use!

personally, contrast was excellent, and sharpness was quite good when stopped down.

when I had mine I never bothered to use filters with it, and relied on PS for most of the post-processing. then again, i'm not much of a filter user.

for a DSLR, i would feel that a 19-35 or 18-35 will be too lacking at the wide end.

if PS has a plugin that works like CIR polariser able to remove reflection , I have gotten sigma 15-30 lens long time ago
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by megaweb
    if PS has a plugin that works like CIR polariser able to remove reflection , I have gotten sigma 15-30 lens long time ago
    heehee... i'm lazy and i know the limitations of myself and my equipment. so i don't shoot stuff when i can't correct it in PS.

I am using the 15-30. You can attach 82mm filters to the filter adaptor that is provided with the lens. You would need to get those extra slim types. Note that even with these, there is a very slight viginetting at the corners. However, it is so slight that it should not bother you.

Originally posted by finkster
    Thks for the info.

Hmmm...didn't realise it was so troublesome...perhaps I'll need to consider the Tamron 19-35 or the Nikon 18-35 more seriously.

Hope someone else has advice on your filter use!
    Being a nikon user have you consider the newer 12-24 DX?
    I belive it's not in s'pore yet but should be soon.

When used with an S2/S1 where the mag. factor is 1.5, viginetting occurs at 15mm even when no filter is attached.

Originally posted by gremlin
    I am using the 15-30. You can attach 82mm filters to the filter adaptor that is provided with the lens. You would need to get those extra slim types. Note that even with these, there is a very slight viginetting at the corners. However, it is so slight that it should not bother you.

If I remember right, this lens is for Nikon DSLR user. Cant work on S2/S1 or other F-mount SLR.

Originally posted by binbeto
    Being a nikon user have you consider the newer 12-24 DX?
    I belive it's not in s'pore yet but should be soon.
    Last edited by cyanbloodbane; 28th April 2003 at 11:15 AM.

The crop factor of a D1 & D100 series DSLR is 1.52, whereas the Fuji S2 Pro is 1.56. Although the diff is slight, if the S2 vignettes(at 15mm) even with a higher crop factor, then the D100 would vignette as well... , (although very very slightly more only)

About the 12-24mm, from what I understand, nikon designed it in such a way that it produces a smaller image circle compared to a 35mm format lens, that's why it is not recommended for FSLR's. If the metering, AF & interface is the same between lens & body, then I guess it should work with S1/S2 bodies.

Sorry for the OT. Now, back to cyan's filter issue!