Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: audiophiles help me

Default Re: audiophiles help me

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    thanks guys.i got my shure already.

i'll still be scouting for a good pair of headphones so keep it coming.

btw, is there such thing as a GOOD pair of WIRELESS headphones?
    The answer is no.

If you think about it, Audiophiles are fussy about the cables between components. For wireless, we are talking about no wires...

Frankly do not buy wireless hoping for great sound. Unless you go for the convenience.

I think that you cannot go wrong with the sennheiser 600 series. That would be the master purchase.

For Stax, you need a special type of headphones amplifier since they charge up to 500 volts to produce sound as they are electrostatic headphones. Only for weirdos like me.

thanks guys.i got my shure already.

i'll still be scouting for a good pair of headphones so keep it coming.

btw, is there such thing as a GOOD pair of WIRELESS headphones?
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    Frankly do not buy wireless hoping for great sound. Unless you go for the convenience.

I think that you cannot go wrong with the sennheiser 600 series. That would be the master purchase.

For Stax, you need a special type of headphones amplifier since they charge up to 500 volts to produce sound as they are electrostatic headphones. Only for weirdos like me.
    electrostatic means...?

btw, these headphones and ear phones need running in?
    i thought only cars need running in.

electrostatic means...?

Same thing...

The speakers I use at home took about 100 hrs to run in.

"During this time, there was an increasing demand for the high-quality reproduction of high frequencies. Audiophiles seemed to be demanding a new, higher standard in the quality of reproduced audio signals. Electrostatic speakers, by way of design, are readily able to offer a faithful reproduction of high frequency content, and behave very predictably when doing so. This is very desirable, of course, as overtones and higher harmonics can contribute significantly to the overall timbre of the sound; this more precise imitation of the original recorded signal helps to make the audio emerge more realistically. These factors, in short, contributed to a revival of interest in the electrostatic loudspeaker. Unfortunately, this revitalization has never been fully realized as, while ESL’s do excel at producing higher frequencies, the bass is difficult to reproduce and thus a more conventional moving-coil unit was always needed anyways; also, the cost of producing these devices has always put them out of reach of most consumers."

From this web page

Next, The Electrostatic Speaker
    Completely different from the dynamic speaker is the electrostatic. This type of speaker still relies on a diaphragm that moves back and forth. The cause of that motion, however, is different. Both dynamic and electrostatic speakers rely on electric current to move the membrane that moves the air, but implementation is different.

The underlying theory of electrostatic speakers is really quite simple. Basic physics say that like charges repel, while opposites attract. Using this principle, we can construct a conceptual electrostatic speaker. First, we stretch a thin plastic membrane on a rigid frame of some sort. Then, we can coat it with a low-mass electrically-conductive substance like fine graphite power or metal flake. We then fabricate two stiff, flat electrically conductive structures, called the stators. These stators are connected to your electrical outlet to provide the current to "charge" the stators. They are insulated to prevent electrical discharge. Each stator has the same area as the thin membrane. The stators are mounted in front of and behind the diaphragm. Lastly, the membrane is placed exactly equidistant between the two stators.

Now to get the electrostatics to work, we have to get a dense population of electrons onto the membrane using a power supply. The audio signal voltage from the amplifier is connected to the two stators, but in a special manner: the signal applied to each stator is identical with the exception of phase; one signal is 180 degrees out of phase with the other. Thus, when the signal voltage on one stator increases positively, it attracts the negative electron charge on the membrane. At the same time, the signal voltage on the other stator is increasing negatively and, hence, repels the charge on the membrane. This "push-pull" force is exerted on the membrane. When the audio signal reverses, the push-pull force also reverses. Since the membrane is compliant and lightweight, the push-pull electrostatic force applied to it causes it to move. Thus, air is moved and sound is created representing electrical driving force.
    From this website

Hope it helps !

electrostatic means...?

Last edited by Loupisk; 4th October 2007 at 02:15 PM.

damn!
    i just realised the model i bought has no mids...

http://www.shure.com/groups/public/@...ml_wrapper.htm

electrostatic means...?

It's using electric fields to vibrate the membrane instead of using magnetic fields like the dynamic counterparts. Because of the lack of coils, the mass is lower and it is able to move faster giving better transients. Only drawback, it requires a high voltage to actuate the membrane and you'll need special amplifiers (usually sold as a set with the phones) to drive them.

damn!
    i just realised the model i bought has no mids...

http://www.shure.com/groups/public/@...ml_wrapper.htm
    I told you Shure earphones are meant for stage monitoring, as much as Shure microphones are meant more for stage and not so much for studio. Some people just need to hear the music and not so much themselves and some need to hear themselves. I won't be surprised if the frequency response are not flat at all. Anyway, they claimed to be full range so the mids should be there. The specifications only tells me that the highs and lows are not as extended as the Sony MDR-EX90LP but they are freaking loud for the same power.

How about sell them and get a pair of Sony MDR-EX90LP instead? You won't regret.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th October 2007 at 03:26 PM.

electrostatic....

my DREAM speakers for my HT is MARTIN LOGANS. My first audition of good speakers was the martin logans when I was like 19. Until now still cannot forget the expansive sound stage. And I really like the look of martin logans, they scream "EXPENSIVE" at you. very unique.

If you want to hear what electrostatic can do, visit Norman Audio at Adelphi. But the local pricing sucks. That is why I never buy from them. Mark up the price so much.

Never read about stax b4 though. But I will be apprehensive wearing 500V stuff across my head.....

i just bought and you ask me to sell.

you think i print $ is it?

i just bought and you ask me to sell.

you think i print $ is it?
    I just edited my posting. Nevermind lah.. just keep and buy another pair of the MDR-EX90LP lah.

Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th October 2007 at 03:40 PM.

i really didnt expect you guys to know so much into audio stuffs when this is a photography forum.

respect!

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I just edited my posting. Nevermind lah.. just keep and buy another pair of the MDR-EX90LP lah.
    i need moolah!

*jeanie prays to god of NIKON.

i got to save up to buy d3 u know?now u ask me buy this buy that later d3 come i no $ how?

If you go to Norman Audio, go across the floor to Kinglsey Audio and try the stax.

I am not sure but I think the Omega model with the tube amplifier are around 6k. There goes your D3.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    electrostatic....

my DREAM speakers for my HT is MARTIN LOGANS. My first audition of good speakers was the martin logans when I was like 19. Until now still cannot forget the expansive sound stage. And I really like the look of martin logans, they scream "EXPENSIVE" at you. very unique.

If you want to hear what electrostatic can do, visit Norman Audio at Adelphi. But the local pricing sucks. That is why I never buy from them. Mark up the price so much.

Never read about stax b4 though. But I will be apprehensive wearing 500V stuff across my head.....

pardon me if i'm wrong.
    but are you sure a sony is comparable to shure?
    if so, why the humongous price difference?

it's like i'm buying a lexus and you ask me to look at toyota.

like i said, i dunno nuts about audio stuffs.but i dont believe in something cheaper being able to outperform something more expensive in this context.

i need moolah!

*jeanie prays to god of NIKON.

i got to save up to buy d3 u know?now u ask me buy this buy that later d3 come i no $ how?
    Just buy one less piece of EN-EL4 lor.

Seriously, I was using the $89 MDR-EX85LP for a short while and I just wanted to know how much better the EX90 really is (Sony would not charge $60 more if it were not much better) and I bought them yesterday. After I auditioned them, I sold my EX85 for $50 to a colleague. For $39, I got to experience the EX85 for a while and realised that the EX90 is much better especially on transients.

You think I dun need to save up meh? I still need to buy diapers and formula milk (no not formula one).
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th October 2007 at 03:57 PM.

Just buy one less piece of EN-EL4 lor.

Seriously, I was using the $89 MDR-EX85LP for a short while and I just wanted to know how much better the EX90 really is (Sony would not charge $60 more if it were not much better) and I bought them yesterday, after I auditioned them, I sold my EX85 for $50 to a colleague. For $39, I got to experience the EX85 for a while and realised that the EX90 is much better especially on transients.

You think I dun need to save up meh? I still need to buy diapers and formula milk (no not formula one).
    Hey these are the ones that are sold in either in black/white boxes right... pretty classy looking. I kinda forgotten the model no. and how they look like.

I'm still looking for a micro plug to 3.5mm jack converter for my MDR-EX888 earphones... love them to bits but sadly they're in cold storage due to the fact that its microplug and can't be used except with my discman and MD walkman
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 4th October 2007 at 03:59 PM.

pardon me if i'm wrong.
    but are you sure a sony is comparable to shure?
    if so, why the humongous price difference?

it's like i'm buying a lexus and you ask me to look at toyota.

like i said, i dunno nuts about audio stuffs.but i dont believe in something cheaper being able to outperform something more expensive in this context.
    Well.. I used to buy hifi stuff.. Then I realised I could get better quality at a lower price if I go the way of pro-audio instead.

Anyway, Shure is pro-audio but more meant for stage, that's why the isolation has to be good and the sensitivity is very high, in excess of 110dBSPL/mW ( the Sony only 106dBSPL/mW). I believe the sound isolation is much better than the Sony but I still believe the Sony would give a better audio quality than the Shure.

I've used more expensive Sennheiser headphones before but I still like the Sony MDR-7506 most because it's flat. The Sennheisers are too coloured and the highs too accentuated and using that ruined a couple of my mixes because I trimmed down the highs too much because of the headphone's colouration.

So if you want to hear music as the producer/audio engineer intended, then the Sony is for you. Otherwise, just go for something you fancy. I don't believe there should be anything better than studio monitor quality, other than a better studio monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Hey these are the ones that are sold in either in black/white boxes right... pretty classy looking. I kinda forgotten the model no. and how they look like.

I'm still looking for a micro plug to 3.5mm jack converter for my MDR-EX888 earphones... love them to bits but sadly they're in cold storage due to the fact that its microplug and can't be used except with my discman and MD walkman
    Yeah.. the white box is the EX85. They are good, but $60 more for the EX90 (black box) is well worth it because the transients are faster and drums sound very natural.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th October 2007 at 04:10 PM.

Bro how much is the MDR-EX90LP?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast