Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: audiophiles help me

Default Re: audiophiles help me

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    Within what you can afford, it is not so much what you pay as such but the pleasure you get out of it.

A 200 SGD pleasure is cheaper than a 50 SGD average ear pain.

Again a 50 SGD pleasure is even better than a 200 SGD ear pain. You are the only judge of that. See what you like. Indeed as you say, trust your ears !
    speakers determine how good the sound is!

haha this has been debated all over up down left right by everyone, many diff opinions.. but this is the last point before the energy is transmitted to the ears anyways :P

most of the time people would have speakers costing a few times that of the source though
    chezburgr i can haz?

I did not say that.

My point is that price does not always determine where our satisfaction will be.

I have some expensive interconnect in my Hifi but my speakers wires are cheap. this combination has been my preference. Nothing much.

As long as the listener has reach its expectation. dun be stoppe dby a price. If you can afford it. Go and try it. Get your own opinon about it. Maybe it is expensive crap to your ears.

Price should not prevent you from getting what you like if you can afford it. You can have a cheap source and get some expensive hearphones due to some confort criteria for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post

haha this has been debated all over up down left right by everyone, many diff opinions.. but this is the last point before the energy is transmitted to the ears anyways :P

most of the time people would have speakers costing a few times that of the source though
    Last edited by Loupisk; 2nd October 2007 at 11:38 AM.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

my take on this is the speakers headphones are expensive. Things like ipod needs to be upgraded. but good speakers, earphones can last for years and years.

So just buy one good one. Upgrade the source if it is found wanting... or format change, CD -> DVDA, or to MP3 or to different encoding format

The transducers are always the biggest source of distortion.

an update on the shure volume control. bought it and it can eliminate the hiss but I find that it degrades the sound so much that I prefer the hiss. Anyway shure states in the package that it is for airplane use ONLY.

getting the headphones today.

so, SE or E series?

to go with ipods only.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post

so, SE or E series?

to go with ipods only.
    oh just realised E series discontinued liao...

is SHURE pronounced as SHOE REI or SURE?

and if i want to buy a good set of HEAD PHONES.(yes, those bulky ones like bose),

wat is a good brand?(other than bose)?

is SHURE pronounced as SHOE REI or SURE?
    I pronounce it SURE. Anyway Shure is good for stage.

I just got a pair of the Sony MDR-EX90LP and it is much better that the MDR-EX85LP which I just sold away to a colleague. The EX90 has faster transients and the attacks of drums sounds a lot better than the EX85. I should have gotten the EX90 the first time.

If you want a good pair of headphones, get the Sony MDR-7506. You can get it from Hung Brothers at level 3 SLS.

Forget about Bose, I'd rather go for Sennheiser. I like their microphones more than their. I still prefer Sony headphones because they sound flatter.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 3rd October 2007 at 02:48 PM.

so, SE or E series?

to go with ipods only.
    Get the SE310. I've been using with my Nano. It doesnt have the rolled highs as other models. Pretty satisfactory so far.

Get the SE530 if you are going to amp it up.

SE420 is similar to E5.
    SE310 is somewhat similar to E4 if I'm not wrong.
    A camera cannot teach you how to see.

and if i want to buy a good set of HEAD PHONES.(yes, those bulky ones like bose),

Try and test the different headphones.

Some headphones that I have personally tested and will recommend.

Alessandro Music MS1
    Alessandro Music MS2
    Alessandro Music MS Pro
    Sennheiser HD 555
    Sennheiser HD 600
    Sennheiser HD 650
    AKG 701
    Beyerdynamic 880
    Beyerdynamic 990

The AKG 701 sounds pretty awesome but requires at least 700 hours to fully break in.

The Beyerdynamic 990 is my personal favourite as I can listen to it for long hours without fatigue and the bass in not too overwhelming.

I own the MS Pro but I get ear fatigue after an hour as I'm sensitive to the brighter sound.

Sennheiser HD 650 is fantastic with potential for further cable upgrade.

I believe other CSers will suggest similar models from Sony and Audio Technica.

Do note that most of this headphones will need a good amp to drive it. The cheaper ones you can get at Jaben. The more expensive ones will be from manufacturer like Ray Samuels Audio which I'm using.
    A camera cannot teach you how to see.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I believe other CSers will suggest similar models from Sony and Audio Technica.
    Speaking about Audio Technica, The AT-M40fs is not too bad too but I still prefer the clarity of the Sony MDR-7506.

I think it would have to be Sennheiser or Grados.
    Personally, I like Senns.

I own a Sennheiser PX100 for cheapo gears like ipod, laptop, etc... Actually, I own 2 of these because they are cheap.
    I also own a Sennheiser HD580. It's exactly the same as the HD600 except for the cosmetics. I got the HD580 because it was an older model and quite cheap at Amazon.com. Think it's not available now. But this pair of headphones demand a good headphone amp. Else it ill sound crap from the lack of power.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    an update on the shure volume control. bought it and it can eliminate the hiss but I find that it degrades the sound so much that I prefer the hiss. Anyway shure states in the package that it is for airplane use ONLY.
    did you use it at min-volume? normally most people use it to attenuate a little till there's no hiss. it adds on to the impedance, and thus draws a different sound characteristic depending on your source. on most un-amped sources, a slight high roll off is apparent

not exactly for airplane use only, it was formerly introduced when the e5cs were released for hiss elimination and use with most outputs that are too loud for a high sensitivity earphone, i.e. airplanes, desktop cd output etc
    chezburgr i can haz?

Since nobody mentionned it :

You can try Stax. But it will burn a little in your pocket.

I know it did when I bought mine.

Stax products

Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

did you use it at min-volume? normally most people use it to attenuate a little till there's no hiss. it adds on to the impedance, and thus draws a different sound characteristic depending on your source. on most un-amped sources, a slight high roll off is apparent

not exactly for airplane use only, it was formerly introduced when the e5cs were released for hiss elimination and use with most outputs that are too loud for a high sensitivity earphone, i.e. airplanes, desktop cd output etc
    yup. I tuned it until the hiss is gone. Basically, instead at volume 5, with the shure volume control I am now at 8. Ya the highs is quite different... even for my wooden ears I can hear a difference. Actually the UM2 fit, sound and wires are all very good to me and it is just the hiss that is getting on my nerves.

Well the biggest headphone manufacturer is Sennheiser. Besides them, there are AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Alessandro, Audio Technica, Sony etc.

Budget? Alessandro MS1 is cheap and good. $150 nia.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

thanks guys.i got my shure already.

i'll still be scouting for a good pair of headphones so keep it coming.

btw, is there such thing as a GOOD pair of WIRELESS headphones?

thanks guys.i got my shure already.

i'll still be scouting for a good pair of headphones so keep it coming.

btw, is there such thing as a GOOD pair of WIRELESS headphones?
    Congrats! So far the wireless I've heard are never as good.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast