Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking photos without one's permission?

Default Re: Taking photos without one's permission?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Photography brings joy to people, not irritate people!!!
    Sometimes it's not irritate people. I encountered one bad experience in SBG, was shooting a couple of Caucasian kids while they were playing. Just plain upfront street shoot.

Then suddenly, the father shouted at me to stop shooting, I raised my hands to acknowledge and stopped shooting. However it did not end there, that fella was like very confrontational and demanded that I delete all his kids pics. Having my full setup there with tripod, I dun feel like arguing with him so I showed him and deleted the 2 pics that I've taken then.

But still not over, after deleting, still lecture me...cannot take pics without permission... blah blah blah... I was like you know Sg better then s'porean meh

Aniway, the REAL morale of the story is... I alreadi snipped them wif 400mm+1.4x from the oppisite side of the lake liao.... confrontation worn't solve any problem, juz make people unhappy.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

sometimes when photographing strangers openly in close proximity, you can just give some gesture that you're going to take a shot, a smile or two will be useful. if the other party is not comfortable, he/she can have time to ask you to stop, avoids further embarrassment for everyone.

Thank you guys, my doubts are cleared now.
    SMS Only: Nine One Five Zero Seven Two One Six

Actually in alot of foreign countries, such as Australia, it's illegal (as far as i know) to take pictures of kids without consent from the parents. They might think it's the same here.

Two key words struck me in the first post:

Ang Mor

Kids photo

A photographer was once arrested in some Ang Mor country for taking photos at a beach. Apparently, the parent of some kid on the beach was afraid of lewd/pedophilic uses of such photos and called the police. The photographer's defense was that there was nothing lewd/sexual in the nature of the photos, but still he was arrested and investigated. If I'm not mistaken, he was released without being charged after the polica reviewed his memory card and found nothing but general photos taken at a beach.

Generally, Ang Mors are a lot more worried/conscious esp if pix of their kids are being taken candidly as sexual crimes against minors are either a lot more prevalent in their country, or they are willing to speak about it a lot more openly.

Put yourself in the same position....if you do not like it, others might not like it too.....

if i had kids, i would be more cautious when a stanger takes photos of my kids as well. Natural reaction perhaps. Protective i guess

with so much stomping nowadays...and so really boliao or wrong reasons, i think everybody would be paranoid with the lens pointing in their direction.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    if i had kids, i would be more cautious when a stanger takes photos of my kids as well. Natural reaction perhaps. Protective i guess

with so much stomping nowadays...and so really boliao or wrong reasons, i think everybody would be paranoid with the lens pointing in their direction.
    Yep, photographers are EVIL!

Maybe can think in another way..

If taking someone photo can makes them angry, why not just delete it.
    Unless you like causing stranger angry in order to make you happy keeping a photo of someone without relation to you.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Let me tell you an encounter I had with famous Hong Kong singer/actor. He was on holiday with wife and two children. I can only take his photo after his family finish his outing. He let me take his photo but not the wife and children as he do not wish. There this outsider took his family photo and ran,he chased them and argued until the couple had to delete his family photos. Asked permission he let you photograph except no family photos.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    Maybe can think in another way..

If taking someone photo can makes them angry, why not just delete it.
    Unless you like causing stranger angry in order to make you happy keeping a photo of someone without relation to you.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah View Post
    It is not illegal to take pictures of people in public but do spare a thought for others privacy and consider their feelings. I had my own fair of struggle too. Even as an official photographer for some events does not grant me the right to snap anybody's photos. Though normally I shoot in a context, and people will understand that I'm just doing my job but what is the point of taking pictures to irritate people? There are always better things to shoot or if really need to shoot without permission, shoot the person in good light and not when the person is at his ugliest moment.
    there was an event that I was covering ... I wanted to take a pic of the sale of books over there and a few customers were browsing the books ... they asked politely why I was taking their pics ... I explained that I wanted to take the sale of the books actually and jokingly mentioned that they were actually "in the way" and joking said that they should apologise to me instead ...

i think it would be polite to ask for permission..
    i get really angry if a photographer tries to take a picture,at least ask for my permission.

vince123123
    Guests

Speaking from a strictly legal point of view, and without discussion on ethics or courtesy, I doubt there's any legal liability to taking a photo without permission, nor publication of the photo whether commercially or non-commercially, provided of course that other causes of action are not disclosed (e.g. defamation, outrage of modesty etc).

Put very simply in the most vanilla sense possible, a photographer takes a photo of a man standing on the street without his permission or getting any model release. The man may or may not be aware of the photography. The photographer sells the photo to another individual for $$$, or in fact, to 100 other individuals for $$$. There are no other facts. The photographer is unlikely to run into any legal liability, whether civil or criminal.
    Last edited by vince123123; 27th September 2007 at 12:22 AM.

I think we have to look at the photo itself and the way it's being used in a commercial way. Let just say:
    A photographer took a shot of the street in Orchard Rd with some people in it and it's being used used in a commercial way, maybe by a building developer, advertising that his next project will be in Orchard Rd and the headline may read " Work, shop, and dine without leaving home".
    The main point of reference of the picture will be the place and the people in the image will just be considered as "happened to be there".
    I don't think there may be a case to sue for copyrights by the people who appear in this image in this case even if their face can be seen clearly.

But:
    If a photographer took a shot of the street in Orchard Rd with some people in it. Nothing wrong, till this point. He sells it to someone else who us it for commercial purpose, same as above, in an ad for a building developer to advertise his next project in Orchard Rd.
    BUT, this time, the ad refer to the people in the picture DIRECTLY.
    Maybe the headline will be "Now you can be like him/her and work, shop and dine without leaving home", and you can see their faces clearly. The problem is the picture is used with the people in the image as a direct point of reference. In this case, the people may have a case that their image was used as a direct point of reference in a commercial way thus their permission is required.
    This is one of the reason that clients pay models/talents to appear in their ads in everyday setting, to get their rights release to protect themselves.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

vince123123
    Guests

Looking at your second example, I doubt that the people will have a cause of action, other than the usual causes of defamation or outrage or whatever.

And even if we assume that there is indeed a cause of action, the photographer will not be liable for anything because he is not the one responsible for those acts.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I think we have to look at the photo itself and the way it's being used in a commercial way. Let just say:
    A photographer took a shot of the street in Orchard Rd with some people in it and it's being used used in a commercial way, maybe by a building developer, advertising that his next project will be in Orchard Rd and the headline may read " Work, shop, and dine without leaving home".
    The main point of reference of the picture will be the place and the people in the image will just be considered as "happened to be there".
    I don't think there may be a case to sue for copyrights by the people who appear in this image in this case even if their face can be seen clearly.

But:
    If a photographer took a shot of the street in Orchard Rd with some people in it. Nothing wrong, till this point. He sells it to someone else who us it for commercial purpose, same as above, in an ad for a building developer to advertise his next project in Orchard Rd.
    BUT, this time, the ad refer to the people in the picture DIRECTLY.
    Maybe the headline will be "Now you can be like him/her and work, shop and dine without leaving home", and you can see their faces clearly. The problem is the picture is used with the people in the image as a direct point of reference. In this case, the people may have a case that their image was used as a direct point of reference in a commercial way thus their permission is required.
    This is one of the reason that clients pay models/talents to appear in their ads in everyday setting, to get their rights release to protect themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12