Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: hokkaido tour self drive

Default Re: hokkaido tour self drive

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i'm thinking of taking a break.hence, planning on a nearby country tour.

i want to bring my 5 months old niece on a self drive tour, (her mum coming along of course).
    need some feedbacks/advises.
    i would love to photograph her in a overseas setting.

1)is it advisable to bring a 5 month on a free and easy self drive?

2)has anyone done this tour with prime tours?(it's a 9 days tour).please share your experience.

all replies appreciated.
    5mth old....

Look at this way Jeanie, u can cruise along at 60km/h enjoying the breeze with the sunroof open.
    The Mama can appreciate the scenery.
    But would a 5mth old baby be able to appreciate? Bet u a cuppa that the baby will be asleep 50% of the time, wailing 20% of the time, mama trying to coax & feed the baby 20% of the time and u'll have a little peacetime doing all da GuGuGaGa thing 10% of the time.

7yrs down the road when ur niece grew up, I'll be u another cuppa da baby (grown up by then) would have an extremely hazy memory of going to Hokkaido.

P/S: Is it supposed to be a getaway-relaxed kinda trip? May I suggest to leave the baby at home at the care of another.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    erm, it's drive on the left, same as singapore
    Really? I tot they are same as US....I must be dreaming still

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    erm, it's drive on the left, same as singapore
    if so, then why does it need 'some getting use to'?

if so, then why does it need 'some getting use to'?
    i don't know, i didn't say that

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    5mth old....

Look at this way Jeanie, u can cruise along at 60km/h enjoying the breeze with the sunroof open.
    The Mama can appreciate the scenery.
    But would a 5mth old baby be able to appreciate? Bet u a cuppa that the baby will be asleep 50% of the time, wailing 20% of the time, mama trying to coax & feed the baby 20% of the time and u'll have a little peacetime doing all da GuGuGaGa thing 10% of the time.

7yrs down the road when ur niece grew up, I'll be u another cuppa da baby (grown up by then) would have an extremely hazy memory of going to Hokkaido.

P/S: Is it supposed to be a getaway-relaxed kinda trip? May I suggest to leave the baby at home at the care of another.

sigh...good point.back to drawing board....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Really? I tot they are same as US....I must be dreaming still
    i know it's tuesday baby....i also damn xian.
    thinking of my winter getaway....

sigh...good point.back to drawing board....
    I've got a personal aversion against babies, esp if parents bring them onto airplanes and they started wailing for 1hr straight. Please don't let my personal aversion kick u back to the drawing board. I'm juz stating what might be possible.

A good time to bring kids on tours, backpacking or what, would be when they are about 7 or 8yrs old I guess. Good time for them to learn things and appreciate stuff.
    5mths? Too young liaoz IMHO.

Alternatively, drive alone. It would be so much better going overseas alone and spending time to urself. Its good to spend some time discovering oneself alone at times.

why not?i've learnt sooooooo much from the 'virtual' people in this forum.just check out my portrait thread.before that, i have absolutely no idea how to even position a studio light.

not to mention these 'virtual' people, some of them may have 'been there, done that'.
    so it's better to listen to as many people as you can though eventually the decision lies with me.

That is different. In learning studio light from virtual stranger. You CAN afford to screw up.

When come to baby, you wouldn't want that. Been there? Done that? I am not too sure. How many of those giving you advise has brought a 5 mths baby to a self drive in a country with relatively different temperature?
    I certainly dun have. If they really has done that, I will really listen to them.

If you listen to too many people, it may cloud your mind. Some say yes, some say no. Back to square one.

Dun put the baby health at risk. they are fragile. Should you need any immediate medicate help for the child or mum, is there any available?

I brought my baby girl to Osaka when she was 9 months old, she is 3 now and when I show her the photos I took of her, she does not remember a single thing. On the flip side of it, I found it very fun to have my daughter around my wife and I, while she cannot remember any of it, my wife and I sure do, and we still talk about it fondly. It might be that the pratical way isn't always the right way, it's what you enjoy doing most and who you spend it with that matters. As for the photos, my daughters asks a lot about it now having seen herself in the photos, and from the stories we tell her, she told us she wants to visit Osaka.

P.S. Airline charges are cheap for babies, you get to sit right at the front on your flight if you ask for it, and if you are lucky, you get to cut queues at the immigration checkpoint.

Anyway, it kind of irony to advise you not to listen too much to virtual people while giving some advise.. haa haa Well.. That's life.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    I've got a personal aversion against babies, esp if parents bring them onto airplanes and they started wailing for 1hr straight. Please don't let my personal aversion kick u back to the drawing board. I'm juz stating what might be possible.

A good time to bring kids on tours, backpacking or what, would be when they are about 7 or 8yrs old I guess. Good time for them to learn things and appreciate stuff.
    5mths? Too young liaoz IMHO.

Alternatively, drive alone. It would be so much better going overseas alone and spending time to urself. Its good to spend some time discovering oneself alone at times.
    7 8 years ah?woah...i think by that time i gave up photography liao.i may even bring my OWN daughter liao by then.

purpose of this tour i plan is to really shoot some pics of her in a different setting so that when she grow up, can show her.
    i really dont care whether she remembers it or not.i know chances are she wont.but that's really not the issue.

i think safety first.you guys are right.
    really have to think twice.

guess the best place will be sentosa.

ok, since i'm back to drawing board, throw me some suggestions.

criteria
    1.must be nearby country.(not more than 7-8 hours flight).

2.must be cool country.(nothing that will make me perspire, well, at least not to the extent of soaking my blouse)

3.must be 'child/toddler-friendly'.

guess the best place will be sentosa.
    You should try 2 to 3 days with ur niece and her mother at Sentosa. If no problem with handling the baby, I think should be no problem for travel.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Jeanie,
    I've read most of the replies with great interest as your queries always tend to bring out the maximum responses

ok. ok. jokes apart, I think the best place for you to go to is Shanghai.

Well, I have a personal agenda with Shanghai, but really look at the list of things that are in favor of Shanghai.
    1. 5 hrs flight - SQ has plenty of flights every day and they take very good care of babies even if its economy class...
    2. cool weather in Nov.
    3. excellent food - now don't get me started on that...
    4. shopping - doesn't work for me though
    5. foot massages for the mum (and you of course...) after all that shopping
    6. day/overnight trips to Hangzhou, Suzhou etc. (yeah its all touristy, but what the heck - hire a car and driver and off you go...)
    7. hotels - almost the best in the world. Book a suite at the Hyatt.
    and on and on...

I know you are gonna kick me for this - suggesting Shanghai when you were thinking of Hokkaido

BTW, when you are stressed and need a break, its best to spend time alone. But, I guess, that's just me. Ah, I wish I had 5K to spend on my travels before December

Good luck.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

aiya,

I think New Zealand South Island in Oct will be stunning. Seriously, if you are willing to take a transit flight to Hokkaido, I think direct flight time to NZ is around the same.

Have you been to NZ in Spring? I went in Summer and it was like very beautiful already but I really WANT to go in Spring. (after I convince my wife, she hates it as no shopping)

I think in Oct, the leaves in Hokkiado MAY not be red and then you end up with not so much colors. In spring NZ, you have gorgeous flowers in the foreground with stunning snow-capped mountains as backdrop. Quaint little farm houses. Long streches of empty road. Desolate rugged coastline. Majestic Glaciers. Perfectly still lakes.

BEST OF ALL, nobody around and within such a close distance of each other. Is there anywhere else in the world with such diverse landscapes in such a small Island?

asterix,

saw your ayers rock pics!glad u like the red center.
    i love it.

no offence to china/chinese people but other than big cities, the surburbs areas all 'cannot go one'.
    i cant live without proper toilets and a good bed.not to mention good spa.
    well, that's me.different expectations.
    which is why till now as much as i love tibet, i havent really made any plans to go there....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    aiya,

I think New Zealand South Island in Oct will be stunning. Seriously, if you are willing to take a transit flight to Hokkaido, I think direct flight time to NZ is around the same.

Have you been to NZ in Spring? I went in Summer and it was like very beautiful already but I really WANT to go in Spring. (after I convince my wife, she hates it as no shopping)

I think in Oct, the leaves in Hokkiado MAY not be red and then you end up with not so much colors. In spring NZ, you have gorgeous flowers in the foreground with stunning snow-capped mountains as backdrop. Quaint little farm houses. Long streches of empty road. Desolate rugged coastline. Majestic Glaciers. Perfectly still lakes.

BEST OF ALL, nobody around and within such a close distance of each other. Is there anywhere else in the world with such diverse landscapes in such a small Island?

ya i know.NZ.lovely.

another country where you-wont-see-a-soul- is norway.

ya i know.NZ.lovely.

another country where you-wont-see-a-soul- is norway.
    go and do your impression of thor!

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    go and do your impression of thor!
    u into greek mythology or....?

u into greek mythology or....?
    norse lah thor is norse...for greek i would have said zeus!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345