Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71

Thread: Foreign atheletics imports failed

  1. #21
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    it's more satisfying to see a Singaporean win a medal for Singapore than to see a PR or foreigner do so. not trying to be mean to the latter, but the fact is you cannot expect Singaporean to identify with a PR or foreigner as much as another Singaporean, otherwise there's no meaning in our citizenship.
    Definitely yes! seeing a Singapore born win is the ultimate goal. I wonder how many foregin imports had got citizenship and never produced anything.

    The most dissapointing for me was reading the Everest climb, a Malaysian?? aiyah, who slip-up?

    ../azul123

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    true, that's human nature, and i give you that

    nonetheless, in an utopian, rational society, which i acknowledge is impossible; i believe that ideas, opinions should be thrashed out, run against each other for the better good of all, and improvement/progress; however, as mentioned before, stuff that people could never control, e.g. birthplace, social status currently based on family bg, sex, etc should never come into the question, there is no end to it because precisely, no one chose all those

    in this case, something like singaporean versus pr, how the hell do you tell who is more "singaporean"? you have people who are citizens already planning getaway plans before there is even tales of war, some of them obviously do not just jest, they are willing to do it - and you have pr's who love singapore, they see it as their home - i have met so many prs who love singapore and i find it very unfair to tar everyone over with the same brush

    majority of people being possibly like that, does not mean all are like that, unfair to be saying such statements, i feel, and i couldn't give a rat's ass whether you feel this way or that even if you are pr or foreign or what, i am simply speaking to your opinion, not your person, no need to drag such extra stuff which does not affect any point in the discussion
    wow... did i just brushed all those people who is holding a PR like me or did i just brushed you so bad you bringing everybody into picture?

    all the while i keep talking about the local sports, you keep talking about the PRs and FTs in relevance to perhaps the working industry... i wonder if u got any idea what you talking about...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    wow... did i just brushed all those people who is holding a PR like me or did i just brushed you so bad you bringing everybody into picture?

    all the while i keep talking about the local sports, you keep talking about the PRs and FTs in relevance to perhaps the working industry... i wonder if u got any idea what you talking about...
    same thing isn't it
    all your foreign talent in sports, do it as primary job right

    does it make a difference, if it does, kindly explain those points where there is a huge difference with regards to what i'm talking about

    the key point here is national pride, shrug, you see what you want to see, i can't control you so, whatever

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    same thing isn't it
    all your foreign talent in sports, do it as primary job right

    does it make a difference, if it does, kindly explain those points where there is a huge difference with regards to what i'm talking about

    the key point here is national pride, shrug, you see what you want to see, i can't control you so, whatever
    when you work, you dun represent your country, you represent your company...

    in sports, you represent your country, so they are primary not singaporeans, instead, employed to play AS singaporeans... you go think about the logic, nuff said... its like world cup, if the england team makes up of 90% africans, cos they are better player (just example), you think its fair? you think its logical?

    even if sg wins, its not a sg medal, cos its still won by a China with SG PR... thats the diff.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Definitely yes! seeing a Singapore born win is the ultimate goal. I wonder how many foregin imports had got citizenship and never produced anything.

    The most dissapointing for me was reading the Everest climb, a Malaysian?? aiyah, who slip-up?

    ../azul123
    Khoo Swee Chiow obtained Singaporean citizenship didn't he?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    when you work, you dun represent your country, you represent your company...

    in sports, you represent your country, so they are primary not singaporeans, instead, employed to play AS singaporeans... you go think about the logic, nuff said... its like world cup, if the england team makes up of 90% africans, cos they are better player (just example), you think its fair? you think its logical?

    even if sg wins, its not a sg medal, cos its still won by a China with SG PR... thats the diff.
    ya, in which case in my previous posts did i mention anything about representing companies, or companies?

    so as long as represent country, the person representing not born there is not fair and not logical? it's ok then, looks like we have very different viewpoints on life, not just this.

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    Khoo Swee Chiow obtained Singaporean citizenship didn't he?
    not sure, did a quick search on the net, nothing came up, but everything i'm reading mentions that he's a singaporean no one seems to bother about such issues other than us

  7. #27
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    Khoo Swee Chiow obtained Singaporean citizenship didn't he?
    I believe he got it after the climb. Anyway one needs a licence to climb Everest. The licence has him as Malaysian (from his passport).

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    I believe he got it after the climb. Anyway one needs a licence to climb Everest. The licence has him as Malaysian (from his passport).


    well, then that's just too bad, it was a Malaysian on Everest, not a Singaporean.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post


    well, then that's just too bad, it was a Malaysian on Everest, not a Singaporean.

  10. #30
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    same thing isn't it
    all your foreign talent in sports, do it as primary job right

    does it make a difference, if it does, kindly explain those points where there is a huge difference with regards to what i'm talking about

    the key point here is national pride, shrug, you see what you want to see, i can't control you so, whatever
    actually hor, DCA is also a FT and a PR

  11. #31
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    what do you expect, they come here and enjoy life, how to win?

    must employ them and train in their own country, everything must be kept constant
    for a greater chance of winning

  12. #32

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    My two cents on this ...

    I personally find that it is nothing wrong with having a ex foreigner represent us. Before the flames come, let me explain. If this foreigner is someone who was born elsewhere, came to our country, love our country and decided that he would want to settle down here and become a Singaporean. I would say kudos to him and let's put our weight behind him.

    I would also hope to support Singaporeans who may have no chance or little chance of winning but are willing to put their time into representing the country in a sport they love. Then I would also say kudos to them and keep going mates!! Jamaica, a country with no snow actually saw 4 fellow representing them in the Bobsled event in a winter Olympics, their story is loosely told in the movie Cool Runnings. Of course they didnt win a thing but they got the respect of everyone at the Olympics for even trying.

    However what I disagree with and many in the local sporting scene disagree on is this. Our govt's mentatility of success overcoming common sense. To the point that it wants to be number 1 is everything and all it can think of is instant gratification hence the bright idea of offering citizenship to sportsman whom they think can win medals for us. Result is that we end up buying medals and don't u all notice the support for sports have not gone up now that we have FT sportsmen and women winning medals for us but rather it is gone down? Reasoning being very simple, we look at them with disdain and we dont feel at all proud of the wins. In fact we feel embrassed...... Something for the sports council to think about.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    My two cents on this ...

    I personally find that it is nothing wrong with having a ex foreigner represent us. Before the flames come, let me explain. If this foreigner is someone who was born elsewhere, came to our country, love our country and decided that he would want to settle down here and become a Singaporean. I would say kudos to him and let's put our weight behind him.

    I would also hope to support Singaporeans who may have no chance or little chance of winning but are willing to put their time into representing the country in a sport they love. Then I would also say kudos to them and keep going mates!! Jamaica, a country with no snow actually saw 4 fellow representing them in the Bobsled event in a winter Olympics, their story is loosely told in the movie Cool Runnings. Of course they didnt win a thing but they got the respect of everyone at the Olympics for even trying.

    However what I disagree with and many in the local sporting scene disagree on is this. Our govt's mentatility of success overcoming common sense. To the point that it wants to be number 1 is everything and all it can think of is instant gratification hence the bright idea of offering citizenship to sportsman whom they think can win medals for us. Result is that we end up buying medals and don't u all notice the support for sports have not gone up now that we have FT sportsmen and women winning medals for us but rather it is gone down? Reasoning being very simple, we look at them with disdain and we dont feel at all proud of the wins. In fact we feel embrassed...... Something for the sports council to think about.


    excellent conclusion

  14. #34
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    They've Singapore passport and return to China, do they keep the Singapore passport or revert back to China passport ?

  15. #35

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    My two cents on this ...

    I personally find that it is nothing wrong with having a ex foreigner represent us. Before the flames come, let me explain. If this foreigner is someone who was born elsewhere, came to our country, love our country and decided that he would want to settle down here and become a Singaporean. I would say kudos to him and let's put our weight behind him.

    I would also hope to support Singaporeans who may have no chance or little chance of winning but are willing to put their time into representing the country in a sport they love. Then I would also say kudos to them and keep going mates!! Jamaica, a country with no snow actually saw 4 fellow representing them in the Bobsled event in a winter Olympics, their story is loosely told in the movie Cool Runnings. Of course they didnt win a thing but they got the respect of everyone at the Olympics for even trying.

    However what I disagree with and many in the local sporting scene disagree on is this. Our govt's mentatility of success overcoming common sense. To the point that it wants to be number 1 is everything and all it can think of is instant gratification hence the bright idea of offering citizenship to sportsman whom they think can win medals for us. Result is that we end up buying medals and don't u all notice the support for sports have not gone up now that we have FT sportsmen and women winning medals for us but rather it is gone down? Reasoning being very simple, we look at them with disdain and we dont feel at all proud of the wins. In fact we feel embrassed...... Something for the sports council to think about.
    Exactly!!!! The top influence the bottom.

    If the main concern for sport is to bring in the medals, then I would say "Forget about participating in the Olympic". The mindset & culture here is not mature enough to nurture world class sportsmen.

    Before you take up sport, there is already the typical Singaporean's mindset of "Thou shall score Top in your EXAM!". Forget about it. There is this fear for failure, to the extent that we measure sport with the amount of money spent.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    Exactly!!!! The top influence the bottom.

    If the main concern for sport is to bring in the medals, then I would say "Forget about participating in the Olympic". The mindset & culture here is not mature enough to nurture world class sportsmen.

    Before you take up sport, there is already the typical Singaporean's mindset of "Thou shall score Top in your EXAM!". Forget about it. There is this fear for failure, to the extent that we measure sport with the amount of money spent.
    well said too. dun live life in numbers. most of us (i assume) live hectic lives till sometimes we oso forgot we r just humans- humans r not perfect- cant always win de.

    not always 1 + 1 = 2 wanz. abt failure, even big companies invest lots of $$ in R&D. some become bad investment.

    S'pore[COLOR="Red"] Focus[/COLOR ] on select few sports, not try to be too smart & greedy.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post

    However what I disagree with and many in the local sporting scene disagree on is this. Our govt's mentatility of success overcoming common sense. To the point that it wants to be number 1 is everything and all it can think of is instant gratification hence the bright idea of offering citizenship to sportsman whom they think can win medals for us. Result is that we end up buying medals and don't u all notice the support for sports have not gone up now that we have FT sportsmen and women winning medals for us but rather it is gone down? Reasoning being very simple, we look at them with disdain and we dont feel at all proud of the wins. In fact we feel embrassed...... Something for the sports council to think about.
    this sounds fair and logical to me
    very well said

  18. #38

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    You don't really need to visit China's sports schools to know the hard facts. I was training in Taiwan many years ago and I visited a brother of a Taiwanese girl at his sports school. When I saw the way those kids were trained, I told myself Singapore's sports schemes are a joke.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    End of the day, we cannot deny that modern market demands have crept into sports and put it this way in certain countries, being a sportsman is big money. Unfortunately in Singapore, sports is not rated highly as a career path and you may be talented but facing pressure from family and society, you just cannot carry on with being in sports.

    A former national coach told me this. To protect his privacy I wont reveal which sport he was coach of as he is still actively in sports. He saw Tang Liang Howe the gentlemen who won the only Olympic medal for us at the gym in the former National Stadium. He said looking at his sorry state, he was thinking to himself..... will that be me when I am old? Reasoning Singapore doesn't take care of its sportsmen and women when they are past their prime.....

  20. #40

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    At the end of the day, Singaporean, the local population, in general do not support sports. What will the parents say to their children, if they want to persue an atheletic career?

    Better someone else kids to run around and train, mine will become an accountant, a doctor, a whatever with MBAs ....

    And going out to lure Chinese athletes to come to Singapore. Well, the elite atheletes, those that win medels, why do thy want to come to Singapore?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •