Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: Foreign atheletics imports failed

  1. #1

    Arrow Foreign atheletics imports failed

    http://www.todayonline.com/articles/212944.asp

    So much for 'buying' medals...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    I have read in the papers of a couple of local atheletes who had issues with the SAA when that guy was in charge.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    what is new?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bt Merah
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Problem may arise when one manage sports atheletics like normal office executives. Was it unrealistic KPIs & pay package, imported atheletics cannot perform even the basic standards, or just want to rip us off; yet to know...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    its seriously time to move on, sgreans ain't born to compete in sports...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    and forget to add... no point getting these imports to run, they still hold PR, anytime, a better offer comes, they just go... and if they can win medals for you, what make you so sure their country won't keep them? also, if they are patrotic, won't they stay in their country til the end? and instead carry another country's flag and compete against their own... so if another country poach them, sure they will run...

    its kinda missing the entire meaning of olympics when sg get foreign talents to compete instead...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    its seriously time to move on, sgreans ain't born to compete in sports...
    there's no such thing as not born to compete. it's only whether the socioeconomic environment allows sports to be appreciated (other than EPL and soccer betting)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    there's no such thing as not born to compete. it's only whether the socioeconomic environment allows sports to be appreciated (other than EPL and soccer betting)
    this is Singapore, not SPARTA!!!!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    yes, if china can compete why can't we
    same genes what, roughly
    the thing is, there is no encouragement in the right direction, and singaporeans themselves are not willing to do an all-in
    you see, even those father mother send their kids to sports school must make sure they get o levels , get a levels
    in case this in case that, in the end become half-past-six at everything

    in any case, every country imports foreign talent at sports la, just look at the soccer world, i don't know much but seems like quite silly when you have all sorts of nationalities in what, english premier league or whatever it's called

    so why care? i say, if they do well, song lor; if they don't do well, also fine by me, you can't have it all, if you pay big bucks to import the best world players you bet all the singaporeans will kbkb also

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, if china can compete why can't we
    same genes what, roughly
    the thing is, there is no encouragement in the right direction, and singaporeans themselves are not willing to do an all-in
    you see, even those father mother send their kids to sports school must make sure they get o levels , get a levels
    in case this in case that, in the end become half-past-six at everything

    in any case, every country imports foreign talent at sports la, just look at the soccer world, i don't know much but seems like quite silly when you have all sorts of nationalities in what, english premier league or whatever it's called

    so why care? i say, if they do well, song lor; if they don't do well, also fine by me, you can't have it all, if you pay big bucks to import the best world players you bet all the singaporeans will kbkb also
    dunno much about soccer, but EPL is EPL... they can import, buy & sell their players...

    but when its world cup or euro cup, the country they represent is their origin... thats the diff...

    sg should have it as well... its not about winning medals, its about sportmanship, if we can't win, so be it, at least its singaporeans who participated and not made out of FT in majority...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    dunno much about soccer, but EPL is EPL... they can import, buy & sell their players...

    but when its world cup or euro cup, the country they represent is their origin... thats the diff...

    sg should have it as well... its not about winning medals, its about sportmanship, if we can't win, so be it, at least its singaporeans who participated and not made out of FT in majority...
    when i attended a school-related gathering a while back

    the uwc people (who weren't singapore citizens, rather pr, most of them) there were more happy with singapore than the singaporeans were; there was this particular girl which declared strongly that singapore was her home, and snapped worse than your "forum watchdogs/ spies" when people were complaining about the usual stuff

    don't judge people if you don't know, not all ft are just geezers who will leech off the land and run at the slightest chance

    after all there are singaporeans who would do exactly that

    so what is it to be singaporean? just being born here does not mean you are singaporean in my book
    i think an attachment is required, which is why you should NEVER EVER judge anyone based on their background, etc, factors they CANNOT control
    same reason why i firmly believe that religion, etc can be discussed, because there is leeway, but there is nothing to discuss regarding race, birthplace, birthright
    Last edited by night86mare; 24th September 2007 at 02:37 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, if china can compete why can't we
    because... they have a population of > 1 billion to draw from?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    because... they have a population of > 1 billion to draw from?
    and they start young
    gymnasts from the age of 4, or something, can't remember all the stories that i was told

    the focus is just different, obviously given the paper chasing circumstance in singapore, and context not focusing on sports by the locals is fair enough

    but you would have to examine, based on percentages we should be producing something, i think you will find that after all these years, we probably lose in percentages

    the environment is just not sports-friendly, like it or not; how many kids do you see wanting to be susillo when they grow up? all want to be woffles wu, or what bigwig lawyer/doctor/blah

    there is no right or wrong, but we msut see the situation for what it is, and acknowledge factors, based on our viewpoints, your point is equally valid, yes, based on statistical advantage, china can produce something, but we have practically produced nothing

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    when i attended a school-related gathering a while back

    the uwc people (who weren't singapore citizens, rather pr, most of them) there were more happy with singapore than the singaporeans were; there was this particular girl which declared strongly that singapore was her home, and snapped worse than your "forum watchdogs/ spies" when people were complaining about the usual stuff

    don't judge people if you don't know, not all ft are just geezers who will leech off the land and run at the slightest chance

    after all there are singaporeans who would do exactly that

    so what is it to be singaporean? just being born here does not mean you are singaporean in my book
    i think an attachment is required, which is why you should NEVER EVER judge anyone based on their background, etc, factors they CANNOT control
    same reason why i firmly believe that religion, etc can be discussed, because there is leeway, but there is nothing to discuss regarding race, birthplace, birthright
    FYI, i'm F (for Foreign), but definitely not your cup of T...

    lets get back to the sporting part... sg actually went there to recruit them, so what makes u so sure the attachment part was on your definition list?

    anyway, sg should just stick to their winning formula, instead of sporting...

    i still believe that, we should cultivate people from internal to compete... rather than import, give them a local jersey then ask them to pledge alliance with great pay, win medals. which i think u missing the whole point.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    FYI, i'm F (for Foreign), but definitely not your cup of T...

    lets get back to the sporting part... sg actually went there to recruit them, so what makes u so sure the attachment part was on your definition list?

    anyway, sg should just stick to their winning formula, instead of sporting...

    i still believe that, we should cultivate people from internal to compete... rather than import, give them a local jersey then ask them to pledge alliance with great pay, win medals. which i think u missing the whole point.
    no, you are missing my point, why do you tar every foreign talent over with same brush; cultivate people from internal to compete - so? what does it prove?

    people born here breathe different air? with current trend of globalisation, soon every country in the world will have a mix of people, then how, do it world cup style? there is no proper way to measure measurement, which is why it should not be factored in, nothing to be done about it, so i don't see any need to discuss this in the first place!

    who cares if a is born in timbucktoo or north pole or singapore, if he is training with us, if he is playing for us, i call him singaporean all the same, because he is wearing the colour, that is my point

    who the heck cares about birthplace these days? i have a friend who was born in japan, but is a macau citizen, and lived in singapore for almost all his life - what would you call him? japanese? hong kee? singaporean?

    such mindset, to me, is no different from what i observed during my jc days, no particular name shall be mentioned here for fear of flaming, but my friend from school a transferred to school b because his o level results cmi, joined the same sports in both schools, but the people in school b just outcasted him for no good reason; he was passionate about his sport, he ignored them and trained hard, but he never quite fitted in because he wasn't given a chance to, not because he didn't want to - do we really want our country to be so juvenile?
    Last edited by night86mare; 24th September 2007 at 02:47 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, you are missing my point, why do you tar every foreign talent over with same brush; cultivate people from internal to compete - so? what does it prove?

    people born here breathe different air? with current trend of globalisation, soon every country in the world will have a mix of people, then how, do it world cup style? there is no proper way to measure measurement, which is why it should not be factored in, nothing to be done about it, so i don't see any need to discuss this in the first place!

    who cares if a is born in timbucktoo or north pole or singapore, if he is training with us, if he is playing for us, i call him singaporean all the same, because he is wearing the colour, that is my point

    who the heck cares about birthplace these days? i have a friend who was born in japan, but is a macau citizen, and lived in singapore for almost all his life - what would you call him? japanese? hong kee? singaporean?
    your fren joining olympics? else i dun see the relevant point...

    anyway, you & i hold a 180degree different point of view on this...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed



    how come so messy? big storm in small teacup.

    to put it shortly, importing talents has its pitfalls because afterall foreign talents may not carry any loyalty for the country. the scheme to import foreign talents is based on $$$, so it's not surprising that some foreign talents only recognize $$$ and don't recognize the source of the $$$.

    it's more satisfying to see a Singaporean win a medal for Singapore than to see a PR or foreigner do so. not trying to be mean to the latter, but the fact is you cannot expect Singaporean to identify with a PR or foreigner as much as another Singaporean, otherwise there's no meaning in our citizenship.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post

    it's more satisfying to see a Singaporean win a medal for Singapore than to see a PR or foreigner do so. not trying to be mean to the latter, but the fact is you cannot expect Singaporean to identify with a PR or foreigner as much as another Singaporean, otherwise there's no meaning in our citizenship.
    true, that's human nature, and i give you that

    nonetheless, in an utopian, rational society, which i acknowledge is impossible; i believe that ideas, opinions should be thrashed out, run against each other for the better good of all, and improvement/progress; however, as mentioned before, stuff that people could never control, e.g. birthplace, social status currently based on family bg, sex, etc should never come into the question, there is no end to it because precisely, no one chose all those

    in this case, something like singaporean versus pr, how the hell do you tell who is more "singaporean"? you have people who are citizens already planning getaway plans before there is even tales of war, some of them obviously do not just jest, they are willing to do it - and you have pr's who love singapore, they see it as their home - i have met so many prs who love singapore and i find it very unfair to tar everyone over with the same brush

    majority of people being possibly like that, does not mean all are like that, unfair to be saying such statements, i feel, and i couldn't give a rat's ass whether you feel this way or that even if you are pr or foreign or what, i am simply speaking to your opinion, not your person, no need to drag such extra stuff which does not affect any point in the discussion
    Last edited by night86mare; 24th September 2007 at 03:01 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    true, that's human nature, and i give you that

    nonetheless, in an utopian, rational society, which i acknowledge is impossible; i believe that ideas, opinions should be thrashed out, run against each other for the better good of all, and improvement/progress; however, as mentioned before, stuff that people could never control, e.g. birthplace, social status currently based on family bg, sex, etc should never come into the question, there is no end to it because precisely, no one chose all those

    in this case, something like singaporean versus pr, how the hell do you tell who is more "singaporean"? you have people who are citizens already planning getaway plans before there is even tales of war, some of them obviously do not just jest, they are willing to do it - and you have pr's who love singapore, they see it as their home - i have met so many prs who love singapore and i find it very unfair to tar everyone over with the same brush

    majority of people being possibly like that, does not mean all are like that, unfair to be saying such statements, i feel, and i couldn't give a rat's ass whether you feel this way or that even if you are pr or foreign or what, i am simply speaking to your opinion, not your person, no need to drag such extra stuff which does not affect any point in the discussion
    don't know what you're talking about, drag what extra stuff?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Foreign atheletics imports failed

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    don't know what you're talking about, drag what extra stuff?
    not talking to you la

    read the previous posts

    drag -in- extra stuff, mmm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •