Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Travelling Dilemma!!!

  1. #1
    geronimo
    Guests

    Angry Travelling Dilemma!!!

    Hi,

    have a few rather "stupid" and basic questions to ask:

    1) does anybody know what's the usual way of uploading pics and freeing up the memory space on the CF cards whilst travelling? (up to 4 months)

    2) Do i have to buy some webspace (webhosting thingee) or can i just upload my pics on those free websites like pbase.com?

    3) Does all the cybercafes around US and Europe have USB ports?

    4) If i'm going to a rural place without internet access, any way of freeing up the space on the CF card?

    5) Heard there is some sort of a mobile harddisk storage (similar to laptop) which i can store my pics in also....Does anyone recommend that?

    5) Lastly, would you recommend buying a lower capacity CF card (eg. 128MB as compared to a 256MB), save the money and do more frequent uploads, or get a higher capacity one which will not be subjected to frequent uploads, while on travel for 4 months?

    Thanks In Advance and any help rendered is Greatly Appreciated!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    geronimo
    Guests

    Default Thanks!

    Thanks fella!

    The rental of the image tank seems an interesting idea but don't think it's feasible in my case (i'd need to rent it for 4 months and that'll add up to >$500!!!)

    Any other ideas?!?

  4. #4

    Default

    u can buy it =)

  5. #5

    Default

    CP is selling a supposedly better brand : Nixvue.
    Together with a 20gb hdd, and it costs about S$600.
    After you are back, you can just sell the whole thing off.

  6. #6
    geronimo
    Guests

    Default

    Woa,


    $600 is not a small sum of $$...won't be able to free up that amount before my trip (cos most of it will be used up during the trip itself...) even though i can sell it off soon after....

    Any other cost-effective way about this problem??

    (Thanks fella for this idea though)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Travelling Dilemma!!!

    Just be aware that your USD 4/hr cybercafes usually have limited bandwidth. uploading large pics would be an issue.

    Also, you might not have access to the USB drive on the PC. Hotels/ hostels usually provide Internet access from Internet kisoks that have no USB ports and they charge by the min. be prepared.

    Some photo-developing shops can help you press your images to CD-ROMS but the rates are usually not favourable.

    Your best bet would still be a mass storage device or a laptop.

    Originally posted by geronimo
    Hi,

    3) Does all the cybercafes around US and Europe have USB ports?


  8. #8

    Default

    btw, some folk is selling a 20 GB X-Drive on clubsnap. might be a cheap alt.

    Originally posted by geronimo
    Woa,


    $600 is not a small sum of $$...won't be able to free up that amount before my trip (cos most of it will be used up during the trip itself...) even though i can sell it off soon after....

    Any other cost-effective way about this problem??

    (Thanks fella for this idea though)

  9. #9

    Default

    1) CF card reader and a reliable laptop

    2) as you've mentioned, it's either you buy or you just upload for free... your own choice..

    3) not so sure about all.. but most of the computers have USBs..

    5) get one 512mb... how many pics do you intend to shoot anyway? since you'll be travelling, will you have the time and energy to sit down and upload your pics?


  10. #10

    Default

    an idea just struck....get external cdrw.....so u upload to a pc then burn the pics to a cd....

    1 cd hold 650-700mb data...
    4 mths....how many pics will u take???
    maybe 2-3 cds will be more than enough..........

  11. #11

    Default

    Putting myself into geronimo's shoes, I'll borrow a laptop from a friend, doesn't matter if it's old or new.
    Being someone who uses up a 512mb cf with a v3 everytime I go for a DAY shoot, I think I'll need an average of 30gb for 4 months...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Just get a decent 10Gb Xdrive second hand for around $200. Problem solved.

  13. #13
    geronimo
    Guests

    Default Thanks guys!

    Originally posted by s_wrx

    5) get one 512mb... how many pics do you intend to shoot anyway? since you'll be travelling, will you have the time and energy to sit down and upload your pics?

    Hi all,

    looks like i don't have much choice but to get an X-Drive or ImageTank or a Digital Data Player or something...... That'll add to my already very tight budget....haiz...

    hrm...if i'd be getting say a 10GB X-drive or ImageTank, now what i'm thinking is: what's the point of getting such a high capacity CF card? As in if what i've read is true, it'll just take a few minutes or less to upload a card into the drive...therefore, my reasoning is: Might as well get a lower capacity card(say 128MB or 64MB) for that matter, and make more frequent downloads which will not be much of a hassle!?!

    Pls. feel free to comment.

  14. #14

    Default

    I wouldn't want to bring the storage device everywhere I go.
    It's a harddisk after all and you'll never know when an accidental knock may just cause data loss or worse, crash the hdd!
    What I'll do is to transfer the images over at the end of the day in the hotel room.

  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by Fella
    I wouldn't want to bring the storage device everywhere I go.
    It's a harddisk after all and you'll never know when an accidental knock may just cause data loss or worse, crash the hdd!
    What I'll do is to transfer the images over at the end of the day in the hotel room.

  16. #16
    geronimo
    Guests

    Default

    Hi guys,

    Thanks for all the wonderful input thus far.

    I just called up John 3:16 and a few other dealers and apparently, some have stopped bringing in the X-Drive!! I further spoke to one of the staff at John 3: 16 and he said that it's because it's really not getting popular and saleable at all these days. This is cos of the low price in CF Card prices.... He advised me to get a higher capacity card (512MB or even 1GB) instead as the prices for these are really low now....

    called up AP and found out that the price for a 512MB Card (PQI brand or something.....anybody knows if this brand is good?) is only $180.....hrm....definitely this is a cheaper alternative than having to lug around an X-Drive, not forgetting having to take good care of it at the risk of the HD getting damaged and all the photos being lost!

    Any comments from anyone about this suggestion instead of an external storage device?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Originally posted by geronimo

    called up AP and found out that the price for a 512MB Card (PQI brand or something.....anybody knows if this brand is good?) is only $180.....hrm....definitely this is a cheaper alternative than having to lug around an X-Drive, not forgetting having to take good care of it at the risk of the HD getting damaged and all the photos being lost!

    Any comments from anyone about this suggestion instead of an external storage device?
    I dunno about this brand but just to let u know, I bought two (2) Solutions CF cards from AP at I think $230 each (can't even remember) & one of the cards started getting corrupted images after image no. 300!!!!!!!!! I lost about 30 images. I think whichever card you, its best you test the card fully before you on your trip. The images were initially ok until on my 2nd last night, when I tried to review them again, I kena this problem.

  18. #18
    geronimo
    Guests

    Default

    Thanks Lavenderlilz for the warning!!!

    Ish, tt means i have to utilize ALL the 512MB worth of photos in order to test it out before the trip?!? That's almost impossible given my tight schedule...

    Hrm...the price of $180 seems unusually low for a 512MB card....cos the Ridata one, presumably more established, cost around $220....Any body else has any bad experience with CF Cards or can comment on the reliability of these cards?!? Thanks!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    I dunno about this brand but just to let u know, I bought two (2) Solutions CF cards from AP at I think $230 each (can't even remember) & one of the cards started getting corrupted images after image no. 300!!!!!!!!! I lost about 30 images. I think whichever card you, its best you test the card fully before you on your trip. The images were initially ok until on my 2nd last night, when I tried to review them again, I kena this problem.
    not a joke, but shd buy diff brands... like GLCs buy all sorts of diff servers...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Originally posted by geronimo
    Thanks Lavenderlilz for the warning!!!

    Ish, tt means i have to utilize ALL the 512MB worth of photos in order to test it out before the trip?!? That's almost impossible given my tight schedule...

    Hrm...the price of $180 seems unusually low for a 512MB card....cos the Ridata one, presumably more established, cost around $220....Any body else has any bad experience with CF Cards or can comment on the reliability of these cards?!? Thanks!
    Well to test - just stay home or at anywhere else & keep pressing the shutter until the card is full.

    I dunno if this is foolproof method but at least it'd buy you some peace of mind.

    Does anyone have a better idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •