Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to learn to "see"

Default Re: How to learn to "see"

don't just limit yourself to photography, take some time to learn about other arts too. when your source of inspiration widens, so does your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    but one can also do the a/m using pns. infact, with their compact size and swivel lcd, it is even more easy.
    yah that's true.. I shoot more with my P&S now. It so much easier to compose in a more relax manner than peeping thru the VF
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by tchuanye View Post
    Something I leant from www.nyip.com

* Step 1. Know your subject.
    What is it that you want to tell in your pic? A particular person? Something in the scenary? etc

* Step 2. Focus attention on your subject.
    Draw attention to it via composition techniques......leading lines, rules of third, symmetry etc

* Step 3. Simplify.
    Cut out things that distracts....Background any distracting bits?

quite good guide, but, do read up on photography books and see what give pics that kick, and learn how to emulate it....expt with your camera and know your camera well on its limitations and make the best out of it......camera is just a tool.
    Point 1 is what I want to say also.

Add on...
    Your photo must be able to tell a story of the moment in time to the person who looks at it.

Think before you press the shutter. If it doesn't look good in the viewfinder, it's not going to look good in your monitor or on print. Trigger-happy is not a skill.

LOL!! threadstarter, i think i also need to learn to "see" & "look" just registered in a school Elective module in photography...seems quite fun for me..hahaha...anyway, good questions to ask..

Quote Originally Posted by xxhellinvaderxx View Post
    LOL!! threadstarter, i think i also need to learn to "see" & "look" just registered in a school Elective module in photography...seems quite fun for me..hahaha...anyway, good questions to ask..
    wa so good now school got module in photography somemore..

go out for a photography walk

take 30 steps..and stop...then force yrself to take a photo (just ONE) at that spot. of course do not anyhow press the shutter. Take yr time to look all around you. squat , sit and try to look for an interesting angle.

continue doing this every 30 steps
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    wa so good now school got module in photography somemore..
    polytechnic ma..hahaha..

Quote Originally Posted by cancan7 View Post
    I'm a newbie, and just bought a Canon 400D recently. Been having great fun taking pictures, but I find that there isn't really a big difference in the pictures taken in my PnS days except maybe resolution and file size

When I read photography stuff on the web, I'm more attracted to gear stuff and drool over lens and exotic gear, when I should be looking at more pictures instead.

Can I get advice from more experienced members on how you have gone on to the "next level", like making shots more interesting, "seeing" the world differently... etc. Any links to share?? Thanks
    My view is almost the same as 90 percent of what the above members mentioned. Shoot more, take a look at other's shots more, move more, play with your camera more, PP more and yes, post more for views from other to improve your shots. And yes, i do agree with eikin that you need to expose yourself to other type of arts as well. Get the "feel" thingy going on. And ya, you must enjoy the process of shooting. If not, i guess the shots won't turn out well as it don't suits the way you were feeling at that particular point of time and you may just "kill" it without knowing how nice a shot it could turn out to be.

Err, but i not your "next level" more experienced member hor. Quite new in photography too. Wahaha.
    Last edited by Yapster; 24th September 2007 at 09:58 PM.

polytechnic ma..hahaha..
    me too... SP?

anyway, read book and go for courses regarding composition of photo... sort of make ur photo artistic and nice

Quote Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
    me too... SP?

anyway, read book and go for courses regarding composition of photo... sort of make ur photo artistic and nice
    hm..got a sony DSLR book but seems like they onli teach u tactics lei...dun teach you how to compose photos...

Set yourself a project. Then take pictures exclusively on that project. Then you'd find that there are more photographic opportunities than you thought.

hm..got a sony DSLR book but seems like they onli teach u tactics lei...dun teach you how to compose photos...
    Sony user? Big welcome. Look out for our exclusive Sony/KM outing & you sure can learn more when you join us.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

I'm a newbie, and just bought a Canon 400D recently. Been having great fun taking pictures, but I find that there isn't really a big difference in the pictures taken in my PnS days except maybe resolution and file size

When I read photography stuff on the web, I'm more attracted to gear stuff and drool over lens and exotic gear, when I should be looking at more pictures instead.

Can I get advice from more experienced members on how you have gone on to the "next level", like making shots more interesting, "seeing" the world differently... etc. Any links to share?? Thanks
    Without knowing what is good, what is not, it's impossible to develop your own style and say that it's good. Learn from the basics of composition.. ie, rules of thirds, leading lines, diagonals, triangles, etc... Look at more photos and see how the good ones somehow fall into the basic compositional rules, how some deliberately break them to give you an intended effect. National Geographic has very well composed shots. Another source is Hollywood movies, how they frame each shot, how each shot transition into a next well composed one.

The 6 articles posted in this link are good.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...83#post3226183
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 25th September 2007 at 11:08 AM.

Hmm, I just realize I too have the same problem in composition. All along I've only been "looking" not "seeing". Got a lot to learn from you guys here.

composition <> "seeing" .

Interesting to come by a thread that asks the right question.

You may find this useful

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=274952

U must have a vision to create. It is a preconceived image resident in your mind just waiting for the right moment to manifest. If u dun even know what u want, then nothing helps.

4 a start why dun u try doing something that u enjoy, that comes naturally to u?

Recommending a book to you...

The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman

You can find this book at Kino.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

a crude summary of some of the points mentioned: think before you shoot

Thanks for all the help guys,

I'll read more photo mags and books and find pictures I like, and think about what makes it special to me.

The pictures I take most often are pictures of my friends and colleagues. But I find that with them posing nicely and putting on the cheesiest smile for the camera, the shot looks very "artificial". Would it be better if I take such photos "tactically" so that their expressions would be more natural, and what I'm trying to "tell" would be clearer?

Good skills cannot be bought unlike good equipment. Books can help you, but it takes diligent practice and dedication.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast