Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

  1. #1

    Default Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Hi there,

    Need your help on choosing FZ50 and S9600.
    Seems the above models are quite DSLR like and have good reviews...
    Wondering that which is more worth to invest??
    Mind to rate it and give me the reason why you choose it?Apprecate so much..thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    i feel FZ panasonic have high noise levels.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Get FZ50 for the OIS (image stabiliser) and S9600 for the good low light performance.
    D700|24-70 f2.8|50mm f1.8|105VR f2.8 Micro|28-70 f3.5-4.5|SB600|SB800

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Quote Originally Posted by mactreouser View Post
    Hi there,

    Need your help on choosing FZ50 and S9600.
    Seems the above models are quite DSLR like and have good reviews...
    Wondering that which is more worth to invest??
    Mind to rate it and give me the reason why you choose it?Apprecate so much..thanks
    FZ 50 much better choice. Noise is not really an issue at all, unless u do very large print like A3.

    S9600 agree has slightly better noise control but u lose out on details and slight smuging.

    Also FZ 50 has image stabalization which works very well.

    Coming back to battries. 9600 uses AA sizes and in the long run is pretty taxing to the pocket.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Quote Originally Posted by reddy View Post
    FZ 50 much better choice. Noise is not really an issue at all, unless u do very large print like A3.

    S9600 agree has slightly better noise control but u lose out on details and slight smuging.

    Also FZ 50 has image stabalization which works very well.

    Coming back to battries. 9600 uses AA sizes and in the long run is pretty taxing to the pocket.
    For me i think FZ50 is better

    Actually i find that AA battery is better than other battery... coz AA we can also get rechargerble, and if you got a last minute outing and forgot to charge you battery at least you can buy the battery at any place. Or let say, you took so much shot that your battery go low, again AA battery could be purchase easily as long as you can find a 7-11

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Quote Originally Posted by reddy View Post
    FZ 50 much better choice. Noise is not really an issue at all, unless u do very large print like A3.

    S9600 agree has slightly better noise control but u lose out on details and slight smuging.

    Also FZ 50 has image stabalization which works very well.

    Coming back to battries. 9600 uses AA sizes and in the long run is pretty taxing to the pocket.
    Noise IS an issue. Especially in night shots using FZ50, its pretty bad from ISO400 and up. The pics easily turn out grainy and can see it even in normal 4R. I used to own a FZ50 but sold it off as I needed better night performance and less shutter lag.

    However, I must say the FZ50 has good colours and contrast in day shots, not to mention the superior Leica lens and 12x zoom.
    D700|24-70 f2.8|50mm f1.8|105VR f2.8 Micro|28-70 f3.5-4.5|SB600|SB800

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes187 View Post
    Noise IS an issue. Especially in night shots using FZ50, its pretty bad from ISO400 and up. The pics easily turn out grainy and can see it even in normal 4R. I used to own a FZ50 but sold it off as I needed better night performance and less shutter lag.

    However, I must say the FZ50 has good colours and contrast in day shots, not to mention the superior Leica lens and 12x zoom.
    What do you mean by shutter lag anyway?
    auto focus liao, click but the camera didn't snap the pic right away?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
    What do you mean by shutter lag anyway?
    auto focus liao, click but the camera didn't snap the pic right away?
    What I mean is once you click, it takes some time for the image to be processed and shown on the LCD/saved into the card. It feels like about 1 sec or so. But when I use a DSLR, the lag between clicking and the picture being processed is in the milliseconds and totaly negligible. I am able to take another shot immediately or do continuous shots.

    If you try out the shooting speed of a DSLR and a prosumer, you will know what I'm talking about.
    D700|24-70 f2.8|50mm f1.8|105VR f2.8 Micro|28-70 f3.5-4.5|SB600|SB800

  9. #9
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,148

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Quote Originally Posted by reddy View Post
    FZ 50 much better choice. Noise is not really an issue at all, unless u do very large print like A3.

    S9600 agree has slightly better noise control but u lose out on details and slight smuging.

    Also FZ 50 has image stabalization which works very well.

    Coming back to battries. 9600 uses AA sizes and in the long run is pretty taxing to the pocket.
    This is where users who love AA batteries will disagree on your last sentence. I used to own the Canon S2 IS and now own the Fuji S6500FD. Both use 4x AA batteries.

    Both came with free Alkaline batteries but I chose NiMHs instead as they last longer than normal AA batteries.

    Imagine if you are in some "ULU" place and there is no outlet to charge your Li-ion battery, how are you going to go "snap"?

    I sold my S2IS because its low-light is not so good too, same issue with FZ30/FZ50. The Fuji's low-light capabilities are no match with the other prosumers.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    no doubt fuji is better in noise control (to be precise, its not low light), but the other competitor do have image stabiliser which is highly useful when it comes to shooting at long focal length (12x zoom) and also slower shutter spd... eg 1/4 easily if you want to get some motion blur effect. having said that, at 1/4 the fuji might just blur everything.

    low light? if you need to freeze the subject (without flash), fuji does have an edge, but one can make use of the IS to shoot landscape or any other static subject. it just depends on what application we are talking about, there is no one better than the other.

    for me the main adv of fuji over pana would be as stated above + wide 28mm + AA batt(but doubt i really need it )

    for pana it would be the superb lens + OIS + zoom/focus ring + focusing spd(the fz are one of the fastest focusing prosumer)

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    if i am not mistaken the s9600 has a zoom ring as well.

    if weight is a factor...... lets just say the FZ50 is rather large and heavy.

    noise as all the other pros have pointed out, no fight between the 2

    the Leica lense is superb! superior than the fuji's one thats for sure

    swivel LCD for the pana


    while you are looking at prosumers, also do consider the canonG7(optical viewfinder) and the s6500FD(large bright LCD, impressive camera)

    good luck in finding your camera! i myself am having difficulty choosing between the 4(FZ50, s9600, 6500FD, G7), but since i am not buying my camera yet, i can wait awhile and see the prices. each have their own pros and cons.

    i personally find the fuji better though, wideangle, and impressive ISO control with their famed super CCD. not to forget it uses USB2.0 compared to the FZ50's USB1.1

    2 mem cards format for the fuji as well, XD and CF, one for the pana

    and batteries are really important, i didnt really have a good impression of panasonic's battery life. and rechargables can be used for more than one appliance!AA's are a real advantage!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhobbit View Post
    if i am not mistaken the s9600 has a zoom ring as well.

    if weight is a factor...... lets just say the FZ50 is rather large and heavy.

    noise as all the other pros have pointed out, no fight between the 2

    the Leica lense is superb! superior than the fuji's one thats for sure

    swivel LCD for the pana


    while you are looking at prosumers, also do consider the canonG7(optical viewfinder) and the s6500FD(large bright LCD, impressive camera)

    good luck in finding your camera! i myself am having difficulty choosing between the 4(FZ50, s9600, 6500FD, G7), but since i am not buying my camera yet, i can wait awhile and see the prices. each have their own pros and cons.

    i personally find the fuji better though, wideangle, and impressive ISO control with their famed super CCD. not to forget it uses USB2.0 compared to the FZ50's USB1.1

    2 mem cards format for the fuji as well, XD and CF, one for the pana

    and batteries are really important, i didnt really have a good impression of panasonic's battery life. and rechargables can be used for more than one appliance!AA's are a real advantage!
    i bet you will want to avoid xD card... just look at the fujifilm section, so many complains here and there. go with SD for Pana and CF for Fuji.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    hahah yes you are right, but just another choice in case something happens to your CF cards!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Lumix FZ50 or Finepix S9600?

    Wah Wah Wah...

    Just went back from outstation..then saw a lot of Comments in between FZ50 an S9600...haa..it's great!!

    Thanks for sharing ya!!

    I realise that S9600 got Hot-Shoe but S6500fd don't have.It's important.

    Ya,a lot of Forum are Thumbs up on S9600.FZ50 really Noise on High ISO.

    I am still using my OLD fuji..S602 Zoom...nice picture and colour as well..Old tech liao..so everything slow..Shuttle speed,Zoom and focusing as well!!so,looking for S9600.

    Seems,quite worth ya?!but some said,Add 100 to 200 you can get a D40 or Canon 350D.What do you think?with Kit Lens as well...

    Another question.where to buy??
    I heard friend said a shop which is nearby or in Holland Village offer Good price.Do anyone know the shop in Holland Village...But in M'sia if i'm not wrong...selling RM1799/2.3=S$782, How is it?cheap or...more expensive?i think included 2GB CF + Bag + normal tripod.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •