Thread: Alternative macro setup?

Smile Alternative macro setup?

Hi all.. Was thinking of the below 4 as an alternative macro setup with more magnification:

- Raynox CA2000A
    - Raynox DCR 5320 pro (HD)
    - Extension tubes (heard canon ones allows AF?)
    - Canon 500D diopter

Looking for magnification of at least 5x more. Current lens that i'm using is sigma 17 -70mm with 72mm diameter with. Also, the 5320 pro is high definition, question is, do you really need HD for macro? Need some views here on possible setups/combos with the 4 that were mentioned above.. Thanks!!
    EOS400D . Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Default Re: Alternative macro setup?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    Hi all.. Was thinking of the below 4 as an alternative macro setup with more magnification:

- Raynox CA2000A
    - Raynox DCR 5320 pro (HD)
    - Extension tubes (heard canon ones allows AF?)
    - Canon 500D diopter

Looking for magnification of at least 5x more. Current lens that i'm using is sigma 17 -70mm with 72mm diameter with. Also, the 5320 pro is high definition, question is, do you really need HD for macro? Need some views here on possible setups/combos with the 4 that were mentioned above.. Thanks!!
    I believe none... if you are looking for extreme close up, this is yours http://photo.net/equipment/canon/mp-e-65

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    I believe none... if you are looking for extreme close up, this is yours http://photo.net/equipment/canon/mp-e-65
    But the CA2000A boasts 12.8x diopter.. supposedly better magnification? The MP-E 65 is a dedicated macro lens and is difficult to use i heard..
    EOS400D . Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    But the CA2000A boasts 12.8x diopter.. supposedly better magnification? The MP-E 65 is a dedicated macro lens and is difficult to use i heard..
    well it is as difficult if not worse to use a extremely high diopter attachment as well (for the same amount of magnificant as a macro lens)

well, another way is a 20mm prime lens inverted. i've done it with a 28mm and hell, i can get really good mag but dof is really razor thin.