Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First dSLR.

Default Re: First dSLR.

Focus Confirmation"?
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

I thought anti shake on the A100 doesn't work on M42 unless you use those special m42 adaptors. Anyway I have been using Minolta since 2003 and I really like it. I don't think Canon or Nikon are any better than Sony's A100 (built on Minolta technology). Canon and Nikon however have greater variety of lens available to them but do you really need all those lens. Anyway don't follow what people say go try out the camera and see which one fits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    How important is the anti-shake? It does help... but there are other things you can do too. Canon has IS lenses where the antishake is in the lens. You can also buy fast lenses. The choice of lens is very important in photography.
    Consider that the Sony body can mount ANY Minolta AF lens... Even the 22-year-old ones...

And with the Sony body you will always have anti-shake and not need to spend a crazy sum of money on Canon IS lenses, and there are a lot of ranges, like 35mm, 50mm, where there is NO IS lens from Canon and sony is the winner.

smtan24: The anti-shake will ALWAYS work. It doesn't matter what lens you use.

Quote Originally Posted by justinlau92 View Post
    Hey people, thanks for the replies.

Ok, i got another question. Everyone knows that Sony has the vibration reduction thingy but how much vibration (In a car, maybe ?) can cause the picture to be distorted ? If i use the Canon, the pics won't be like distorted rite ? Sounds like a dumb question but was realli wondering.

You mean blurry? Depends on lighting, focal range, shutter speed... In general a 3-stop boost over non-stabilized is possible.

"If i use the Canon, the pics won't be like distorted rite" - ???? Good god man, have you been watching too many silly commercials? Where on earth did you ever get that idea??

Gosh, C & N are the major players for a reason. If you want to say advert, I say Sony has the most adverts loor.

You will never get a definate answer as a point will be shooted at from different camps.

But as said, if you can ONLY choose Canon or Sony, then the answer is absolutely apparant.
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    But as said, if you can ONLY choose Canon or Sony, then the answer is absolutely apparant.
    Sony!

Well, go ahead to follow the ADVERTISMENT and not what ppl are getting then.
    APAD | Blog

Hi justin,

I would recommend that you go to a reputable shop to try out the different cams to see which is more comfortable to you. You are the one using it & you know best which is better for yourself. However, do not listen to the sales person too much as their views are always skeewed towards profit for them. Listen to your heart. Go for the one you feel most comfortable with.

Eventually, you may even end up in a different camp. :lol:
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Consider that the Sony body can mount ANY Minolta AF lens... Even the 22-year-old ones...

And with the Sony body you will always have anti-shake and not need to spend a crazy sum of money on Canon IS lenses, and there are a lot of ranges, like 35mm, 50mm, where there is NO IS lens from Canon and sony is the winner.

smtan24: The anti-shake will ALWAYS work. It doesn't matter what lens you use.

Did a search on the net. Anti shake does not work on M42 lens. If you purchase a m42 adapter with auto focus confirmation than it isn't a problem. It needs data from the lens for the anti shake to work.

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/faq.php#accessories

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    Did a search on the net. Anti shake does not work on M42 lens. If you purchase a m42 adapter with auto focus confirmation than it isn't a problem. It needs data from the lens for the anti shake to work.

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/faq.php#accessories
    Er. That link says "you MIGHT need to turn off AS/SSS". I've used a made-in-japan adaptor based on the recommendation here: http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/TC/index.asp and it works perfectly with AS.

From the very same link you posted:

Do Anti-Shake and Super Steady Shot work with all lenses?

Yes, with very few exceptions. AS should be turned off with the following lenses:

* 3x-1x macro zoom
    * lenses with a mechanical focus range limiter when the limiter was activated when the lens was in the near range (i.e. when the camera could not focus the lens to infinity during power-on). The electronic focus range limiter of SSM lenses is compatible with AS.

Focus Confirmation"?
    Yes Pentax has focus confirmation in the viewfinder (audible too) for any and every manual or AF lens from M42 screw mount to current Pentax and 3rd party lenses. Pentax is backward compatible with older lenses and ANY & EVERY LENS gets the benefit of shake reduction.

To the TS, if you have M42 lenses, then seriously consider the current Pentax K100D, K100D Super or the award winning K10D. You can pick up manual focus lenses very cheap and they work perfectly with no issues whatsoever. Image stabilization is a HUGE benefit. Check out the Pentax forum and you can see images shot hand held as low as 1/4 second!!!
    Last edited by creampuff; 26th September 2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh well, Think TS has already stated very clearly its a choice between Canon and Sony. If you insisted in pulling in other camps, then every camps will come in le.
    APAD | Blog

Oh well, Think TS has already stated very clearly its a choice between Canon and Sony. If you insisted in pulling in other camps, then every camps will come in le.
    TS mentioned M42 screw mount lenses... that Pentax's forte

Yes, but still, TS has already narrowed down to the 2 short-listed loor. Respect that leh.
    APAD | Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12