Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trojan virus spreading via MSN chat, it points to URL in photobucket !

Default trojan virus spreading via MSN chat, it points to URL in photobucket !

if u encounter this during msn chat, do not open it !

Default Re: trojan virus spreading via MSN chat, it points to URL in photobucket !

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    if u encounter this during msn chat, do not open it !
    I think it is more like send a zip file by your friend.

Something like this

"wanna see the pics from my vacation?
    XXX sends imag091307.zip
    Check out my nice photo album.
    XXX sends imag091307.zip"

Source: [img091307-www.photoshop.com] inside of [c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\my received files\imag091307.zip]
    Risk category: Virus
    Overall Risk Impact: High
    Click for more information about this risk : W32.Scrimge!gen
    Action taken: Fully removed
    Last edited by Francis247; 21st September 2007 at 10:53 AM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Default Re: trojan virus spreading via MSN chat, it points to URL in photobucket !

Another variant is

"Hey this guy says he knows you! Is it true??" Followed by

Picture to download

i keep getting random friends sending me damn weird messages on msn
    so irritating, i just blocked them after a while =D =D =D

Member/Tangshooter

Sometimes the file name comes like -> xxxxxx.jpg.com
    When u tot it looks like a jpeg image file, and u double click on it, u have actually started a worm/spam program..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

chia lak.. wat should i do ?

norton actually deleted it but seems like i cannot kill the worm

my sympathies.

Do a full system scan and check if you have been sending weird messages to you friends on MSN. My system is still ok even though I download the zip. My Norton Antivirus managed to kill it.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Member/Tangshooter

a worm program usually unpack another program for keeping it alive.
    For instance, worm1.exe unpack wormClone.exe..and will usually write a registry setting to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run..by adding a key to this registry, they will be able to re-run themselves on every next boot..
    worm1.exe will usually be the one creating havoc, and yet monitoring whether wormClone.exe is started..
    wormClone.exe is usually monitoring worm1.exe started a not, if not it will try starting it, if fail to start it will unpack another worm1.exe and start it..
    some worm programs even check the availabilty of registry keys to make sure they continue to live on the next boot..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    For instance, worm1.exe unpack wormClone.exe..and will usually write a registry setting to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run..by adding a key to this registry, they will be able to re-run themselves on every next boot..
    worm1.exe will usually be the one creating havoc, and yet monitoring whether wormClone.exe is started..
    wormClone.exe is usually monitoring worm1.exe started a not, if not it will try starting it, if fail to start it will unpack another worm1.exe and start it..
    some worm programs even check the availabilty of registry keys to make sure they continue to live on the next boot..
    how to remove this worm ?

how to remove this worm ?
    think there are at least 2 places to check

1. My Computer > C Drive > Documents and Settings > (Your Name) > Local Settings > clear everything in temporary internet files ... usually i clean up the temp folder as well

2. check My Documents, My Received Files, Downloads etc. and see if there are any trace of the worm

i had uninstalled MSN 8.1 and go back to MSN 4.1 for the time being

seems like the worm is very active in MSN 8.1 version

Last edited by raincool2005; 21st September 2007 at 10:02 PM.

Mac does not seem to have this problem... using adium as my chat browser for msn

second attempt of attack again !

this time i just close the chat window. It says something like "does this photo look nice on myspace "

clearly, the virus is spreading fast via msn chats

this time i just close the chat window. It says something like "does this photo look nice on myspace "

have you checked the folders i mentioned? if you don't purge the worm it'll surface no matter what version of msn messenger you are using. you should do a scan on your entire system and then go to those folders to delete the worm files.

if everything fail, do a system restore to the time before you got it... most of the time it works on suchs worms/virus... etc

Trojan Remover from Simply Super Software.
    Spyware Doctor from PC Tools.
    Norton Security Suite.
    Kapersky Anti Virus.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    yes, i had tired almost the whole day, finally did a SYSTEM RESTORE on my laptop

WORM confirmed died !

I managed to get it out of my PC in one hour, it was extremely irritating.
    Nikon D80|Nikon 18-135 AF-S DX|Nikon 70-300 AF|Nikon 50 f/1.4 AFD|Nikon SB-800|Canon IXUS 70

here's what i experienced.

the anti-virus software can detect and remove (found to be trojan) it but this virus or worm created a backdoor for another worm during a reboot. Your windows (which is protected by Updates) will prompt u to run this msn program and guess what ? the "publisher" is an unknown. By right the publisher should be Microsoft.

despite running it or not, even u cancel it, it still runs ! auto-sending out ugly presents to your fellow msn friends without your permission.

Last edited by raincool2005; 23rd September 2007 at 01:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast