Thread: Is there anything special about color gels?

Default Is there anything special about color gels?

Or are they just like colored cellophane? Anyway can we get one of those sampler packs of gels here, like a pack of 8 different colors precut for use on a flash?

Default Re: Is there anything special about color gels?

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    Or are they just like colored cellophane? Anyway can we get one of those sampler packs of gels here, like a pack of 8 different colors precut for use on a flash?
    Colour consistency. Colour accuracy. Availability of the colour and exposure data. And for those to use with big video lamps, resistance to heat.

colour consistency is one important factor if you are going to reuse the same settings over and often or if it needs to be replicated at will. If it's just a one time shoot for fun, I use cellophane paper over my flash.

Most colour gels aren't heat resistant anyway, I ever saw the SB800 gels got deformed after someone shot for a few hours with sucessive bursts of the stroboscopic mode.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    colour consistency is one important factor if you are going to reuse the same settings over and often or if it needs to be replicated at will. If it's just a one time shoot for fun, I use cellophane paper over my flash.

Most colour gels aren't heat resistant anyway, I ever saw the SB800 gels got deformed after someone shot for a few hours with sucessive bursts of the stroboscopic mode.
    Wah.. that bad ah?